Va Tech Thoughts... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Thoughts...

Oddly enough that 14-6 with UNC coming to the dome is still a possibility. With this better lineup it's doable. I fully expect ND to come in ready to go bonkers from 3.. Can't let that happen to start. Miami is small.. gotta find a way to get that big W then grind one out at GT.

When someone other than Mintz CAN become unstoppable, without a shadow of a doubt in second halfs we go from tough, to very tough. Joe was that guy today, He was Awesome!

Great job against the press just don't throw the lob too far under their basket unless it's Brown.

Great team effort by everyone!!

The best line-up is dependent on what team we are playing against.

I think this has been truth but somewhat at the mercy of what version of Benny we get. Bell hasn’t been part of said best lineup this year. That said the things Brown and Taylor are doing defensively are things that give us a better chance. Fewer mistakes, more activity.

It would, but this entitled “he came back” narrative is a bit much for me too.

He did nothing - what else was he gonna do? Freshman who shoot 20% and average 2 ppg don’t hold any power.
I guess I just like when guys stick around on my two college basketball teams when things don’t go their way.

I get what you’re saying and I feel like an old saying this but I’ll cut someone more slack in the current landscape when they hang around after a bad season or two.

I guess I just like when guys stick around on my two college basketball teams when things don’t go their way.

I get what you’re saying and I feel like an old saying this but I’ll cut someone more slack in the current landscape when they hang around after a bad season or two.
I agree…not saying I wanted him gone.

But why is it like the expectation that a guy who has a terrible first year goes elsewhere? It’s something special that he “stayed” and didn’t go to some step down program after his first year? Where the hell would he go? Hampton? He was basically the 2020’s LeSean Howard his first year - he went to Hampton. I think they made the tourney and won an upset game his senior year. Ain’t like he had a spot at Duke lined up and did us a favor or showed some special character.

We need these next 2 to get us “lurking”

One we should win and one “great for the resume” one.

“Lurking.” Good lord! The ACC this season is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. The powers that be (committee folk) undoubtedly will see this as clear as day. Even if we were to go 13-7 (ish) in the regular season, the committee will see it for what it is.

The only way this Syracuse team gets in the Dance is winning the ACCT and getting the automatic bid. That’s improbable as well since we have never won more than one consecutive game in the ACCT to date.

He and JT both have really solid fundamentals. Lots of guys in college hoops who pound the ball into the floor as soon as they catch and we have two freshman who do the little things very well.

On both offense and defense I really like their positioning. They never seem to be out of place that really helps the zone defense.

“Lurking.” Good lord! The ACC this season is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. The powers that be (committee folk) undoubtedly will see this as clear as day. Even if we were to go 13-7 (ish) in the regular season, the committee will see it for what it is.

The only way this Syracuse team gets in the Dance is winning the ACCT and getting the automatic bid. That’s improbable as well since we have never won more than one consecutive game in the ACCT to date.
Ehh this is an exaggeration even with a bad ACC. If we go 13-7 and that includes a win at Miami and wins in the dome against 2 of Duke, UVA, or UNC who I agree are all nothing special we would be in the conversation for a bid.

I said this in the game thread, but Benny checked out and pouted after he was pulled during a timeout in the second half. I think he could have a role on this team, but his time really seems to be running out.
... I still think the benny - maliq forward pair is the best duo for this season...and it should be first option.

taylor is good but still figuring it out...2 rebounds in 28 mins. 0 assists, 0 steals. he plays within himself and is good from 3 (which is important)...but VA Tech is the type of team that wont punish taylor's lack of inside presence...a lot of teams will.

all of the things that boeheim got on benny and bell about also apply to taylor, imo.

Yeah it sure looked like VT was handsy all game on he and Judah.
Judah got a little overzealous and tried to play over it. Wont work as a freshman vs p5 defenses.

Joe stayed calm, moved the ball, picked his shots. I was really impressed tonight with him.

Helps having two bigs who can pass

... I still think the benny - maliq forward pair is the best duo for this season...and it should be first option.

taylor is good but still figuring it out...2 rebounds in 28 mins. 0 assists, 0 steals. he plays within himself and is good from 3 (which is important)...but VA Tech is the type of team that wont punish taylor's lack of inside presence...a lot of teams will.

all of the things that boeheim got on benny and bell about also apply to taylor, imo.
Taylor doesn’t pout and give up when things don’t go his way like Benny does. That will drive any coach nuts.

Benny’s incredibly competitive but lets that get the best of him.

He’ll be the kid whos upset he’s called for a foul instead of another teammate.

Just needs to keep working and keeping his head and energy up. For him I think it’s about staying fully engaged

So, Benny just has to understand that he hasn’t separated himself from anyone at that position. JB is probably still going to play the hot hand at both forward positions the rest of the year.

I still think JB will start Benny - but the leash is getting shorter. If we get good active Benny- he’ll play more. If he comes out and plays defense the way he did tonight early, we’ll see Brown more.

It’s that simple. It’s hard for a five star to accept that role, but the tape doesn’t lie.

It looked to me like Benny was mad he didn’t start the second half. Then JB put Benny in and Benny immediately took a very tough turnaround shot that he got fouled and JB wasn’t thrilled. Benny made 1-2 from the line.

Next timeout JB puts Taylor in on offense and I think he was about to go offense defense with Justin and Benny…but Benny throws a fit and JB sat him the rest of the game.

Also note that the first rebound after Benny pouted, Taylor got jumped over on the defensive glass for a rebound that I bet Benny gets.

We’ll need them both.

Yeah…I don’t disagree.

With Taylor(other than 1 game) and Bell, we’re talking about maybe 1-2 long range makes a game?

Benny can even hit one here and there. None of them can do a thing off the dribble.

Benny and Brown would give us the most “length”(do we care about that anymore?) and athleticism.

Seems worth a shot to me. I wonder if Jim ever even considered it, or is he THAT rigid in his thinking that he decided who was the “3” and who was the “4” like it’s 1992, back in October?
Brown and Williams played together for a couple of minutes late in the game.

So, Benny just has to understand that he hasn’t separated himself from anyone at that position. JB is probably still going to play the hot hand at both forward positions the rest of the year.

I still think JB will start Benny - but the leash is getting shorter. If we get good active Benny- he’ll play more. If he comes out and plays defense the way he did tonight early, we’ll see Brown more.

It’s that simple. It’s hard for a five star to accept that role, but the tape doesn’t lie.

It looked to me like Benny was mad he didn’t start the second half. Then JB put Benny in and Benny immediately took a very tough turnaround shot that he got fouled and JB wasn’t thrilled. Benny made 1-2 from the line.

Next timeout JB puts Taylor in on offense and I think he was about to go offense defense with Justin and Benny…but Benny throws a fit and JB sat him the rest of the game.
It looked to me JB was trying to motivate Benny to rebound after we gave up a few second chance points. Benny wasn’t having it, they had words, and then JB decided to put Taylor in. If he just shuts up he probably stays in the game.

Why can't they win the league regular season? Tied for second right now.

It looked to me JB was trying to motivate Benny to rebound after we gave up a few second chance points. Benny wasn’t having it, they had words, and then JB decided to put Taylor in. If he just shuts up he probably stays in the game.

I don't think JB bails on Benny despite that as we know from that Devo podcast guys talking about how he wants and likes that fighting spirit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom