Van Chew and Alec Lemon | Syracusefan.com

Van Chew and Alec Lemon

T

TrickySU

It seems to me that Chew and Lemon have been thrown to less and less. I don't know if it's because they're not getting open or if Nassib just isn't looking for them. I find it hard to believe that it is because they aren't getting open though, because if they can't get open against Tulane then I don't know what to say.

It seems to me that Chew and Lemon have been thrown to less and less. I don't know if it's because they're not getting open or if Nassib just isn't looking for them. I find it hard to believe that it is because they aren't getting open though, because if they can't get open against Tulane then I don't know what to say.

Why do you think they had open auditions last week?

I understand what you're saying, but Chew and Lemon came up big and played a big role in thegames against Wake, USC, Maine, and Toledo and they seem to have disappeared these last 2 weeks.

Becuase teams have discovered that they can not effective beat press coverage to get deep; and they are taking away the slants when Chew and lemon are in the slot.

Becuase teams have discovered that they can not effective beat press coverage to get deep; and they are taking away the slants when Chew and lemon are in the slot.

Or they know we can't hit a deep man accurately and/or protect long enough for someone to get deep.

Didn't Marone state they're both drawing double coverage, especially Chew, and that's why we're seeing more of Graham and West as options? Both Van and Alec need to rise to the challenge and step up their game against the double-teams. Getting more success from Graham, West and Provo will also help with that.

Didn't Marone state they're both drawing double coverage, especially Chew, and that's why we're seeing more of Graham and West as options? Both Van and Alec need to rise to the challenge and step up their game against the double-teams. Getting more success from Graham, West and Provo will also help with that.

LOL, they need to raise their games on double teams. That's a good one.

They definitely both saw doubles against Toledo. Haven't paid as much attention since then.

Are they getting doubled, or they just can't flat out get open, or break from press coverage? You don't think Michael Floyd at ND, or top WRs gets blanketed at all the time. Yet they find ways to get their yardage, like any good WR. Or is our O-Line the problem not allowing them time to get open?

Why don't we create mismatches and get them the ball? How about instead of having Stevens or Wales in the slot on obvious passing situations, we go with Chew in the slot and another WR outside? There was a bad pass on 3rd and long by Nassib that I think Chew or Lemon make the play. Obviously Nassib is to blame for the bad toss but why not have a WR in there who has a better chance at making a play over Wales?

Whatever it is they need to get open against West Virginia otherwise we are in big trouble. If they are able to get open though, and if Nassib can hit Chew deep at least once then we can hang with West Virginia

Are they getting doubled, or they just can't flat out get open, or break from press coverage? You don't think Michael Floyd at ND, or top WRs gets blanketed at all the time. Yet they find ways to get their yardage, like any good WR. Or is our O-Line the problem not allowing them time to get open?
Bingo. I believe that was my point. I'm not making excuses for them. If there good, they'll find a way to get open.

Why don't we create mismatches and get them the ball? How about instead of having Stevens or Wales in the slot on obvious passing situations, we go with Chew in the slot and another WR outside? There was a bad pass on 3rd and long by Nassib that I think Chew or Lemon make the play. Obviously Nassib is to blame for the bad toss but why not have a WR in there who has a better chance at making a play over Wales?
Exactly! And I don't understand why when we are inside the 10 or 20 we just don't throw a lob to Chew or a slant to Lemon instead of the slant to whoever it was in the Rutgers game when the pass was picked off in the endzone.

LOL, they need to raise their games on double teams. That's a good one.
If there any good, they'll find a way. The good ones do. If they're not, it'll be a long second half.

I think tou be succesful in Marrone's offense they need more than two wr's that can make plays, that is the issue. I think you would see a ton of 4 wr looks if the line could hold up. Bailey would be great there too because he can chip and then release which gives Nassin an out as well. I think that is what he is striving for, right now I Think Chew and Lemon ar solid 2 and 3 guys, maybe 2 and 4 but we need two wr's to step up. Lemon is a gral slot guy, over the middle, etc.

I smirked when the Tulane broadcast Saturday mentioned Chew and Lemon as physical receivers.

We're not seeing nearly enough of West. When they throw it to him he'll most likely catch it. Move to more Graham is encouraging though.

Or they know we can't hit a deep man accurately and/or protect long enough for someone to get deep.

I completely agree, especially with the second part. Our OL couldn't block Auburn High long enough for a play to develop.

It seemed to me that Chew was thrown to plenty in the Tulane game, he just didn't make the plays. He has been fairly inconsistent this year.

I can't really fault Lemon this year-he has made some big catches and has limited the drops that he had last year.

As to the poster asking about why not throw to Lemon on the slant in the RU game? I don't record the games, but perhaps he was taking a breather on the sideline that play? I would have preferred they throw that to Lemon because he has been the best on the slants for this team.

Vanzago has been a bit of an enigma this year. The last couple games make me wonder A) he came back 100% from injury or B) he reaggrevated it at some point. We message board fans would not be privy to such info but the "open audition" for WR's made me at least wonder as much.

Lemon has been getting doubled a fair amount. Last game I saw in person (Rutgers), Nassib obviously threw a few picks, but i saw just as many throws where it appeared Lemon was in man coverage (and open) but a defender had delayed and was sprinting underneath in coverage. Believe that's the same disguised coverage that resulted in the last int but middle vs sideline.

IF both Chew and lemon are getting doubled the seams should be WIDE open from Provo vs a LB.

IF Chew is Healthy, why not put one in motion or just line both he and Lemon up on one side and Graham or West alone on the other?

Really wish Icould sit on on one WR film session and practice to see what's really going on.

Mike Williams never had a problem getting open and who else did we have to throw to?

Mike Williams never had a problem getting open and who else did we have to throw to?

Mike Williams would be open with two people on him because he could go up and get a ball. We don't have anyone who can go up and get a ball with no coverage. That is an issue with deep passes as well. If you notice Chew often is waiting to catch a ball below his shoulders and the defender makes a play. Go up and get it. Sure a good throw beats the DB but a QB shouldn't have to throw it perfect all the time. More often then not a deep pass the WR makes a play, it isn't a good pass.

Mike Williams would be open with two people on him because he could go up and get a ball. We don't have anyone who can go up and get a ball with no coverage. That is an issue with deep passes as well. If you notice Chew often is waiting to catch a ball below his shoulders and the defender makes a play. Go up and get it. Sure a good throw beats the DB but a QB shouldn't have to throw it perfect all the time. More often then not a deep pass the WR makes a play, it isn't a good pass.

This is spot on. Chew doesn't seem to want to leave his feet, particularly on deep balls. Sometimes, the only way you are going to catch it is to go up and get it. You're not always going to catch them on the run. There was a clear example of this against Tulane. My memory is fuzzy as to when it happened, but there was a deep ball down the right sideline where Chew had a step on the defender and the ball was a tad behind. Rather than stop and go up and get the ball, he tried to catch it in stride which gave the defender time to catch up and knock the ball away. Because the CB was trying to catch up, he would not have been able to make a play if Chew had decided to jump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom