vandy and fsu | Syracusefan.com

vandy and fsu

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
im loving that these 2 teams are in our bracket. EVERYONE is talking them up after yesterday, they are the big time trendy picks. dukie v and digger both have vandy-fsu as their elite 8 matchup lol. freakin wally sczerbiak on that cbs channel is like "i just love vanderbilt, theyre a horrible matchup for syracuse, theyre going to the final 4". you know our guys are paying attention to this too, hopefully they play with a big chip on their shoulder.

as for florida st, if we happen to play them that means we dont gotta worry about ohio state. 100% of us would have taken an elite 8 matchup against fsu a month ago.

Both are very inconsistent teams. Before yesterday when was the last time Vandy won a big game? Like never. Bring em on. I'm more worried about K-State who split with Baylor in 2 close games, so they can obviously play against a decent 2-3 zone plus they beat Missou twice.

The trendy big conference champs have all seemed to falter early in tournaments lately. I hope that trend continues.

... apart from UConn of course.

Kansas State doesn't scare me because any team that lost to Oklahoma St. and twice to Oklahoma doesn't scare me. (but their win @ Missouri is pretty snazzy, even though they had to shoot 54% to Mizzou's 38%).

I love it

let's see if they can win 2 games this weekend first

I agree. I think SU has a very friendly bracket.

I love these so-called prognosticators. The only people that watch every game that SU plays are fans of the team. Its impossible for Dick Vitale, Szcerbiak, et al to watch every game of every team that they comment on. So they rely on scores, highlights and what everybody else says about the team.

The games that they do finally see are the marquis games - The UConns and the Georgetowns and the BET games. They then adjust their opinions on those handful of games they may have actually seen.

I welcome Vandy, I welcome FSU and I wouldn't be unhappy to see Ohio State either. Our team is better then them. End of story.

I'm wondering if people are overrating Vandy solely due to that win yesterday. Aside from winning @ Marquette (which is a very good win of course), nothing about their overall profile is that impressive. They had some BAD non-conference losses (Clev St, Indiana St)...and they went 10-6 in SEC play. Furthermore, to get to the SEC final yesterday, they went through Georgia and Ole Miss. Murderer's row I guess.

Seems as if a lot of "experts" out there are being lazy. They know we've played close games as of late. They saw the Vandy/Kentucky game yesterday. And that's why Vandy is the trendy pick.

Dickie V has his post-season blinders on again, and Digger ... whatever (he was dead sure we'd lose to UConn). These guys insist on using double standards to "judge" the teams they don't like. They look at the worst for SU (2 losses all year and some "close" wins ?), but cull the best performances for their personal favorites. Vandy had a great win over Ky. But, the same team lost to Miss.St. and Indiani St. at home and lost 6 conference games in a weak SEC. Even if Vandy stays hot for longer than a couple of days, they have to play Wisconsin in the second round even to get to us.

Let's look at Dickie's flavor of the week - FSU. The seminoles have some big wins... a huge beatdown of UNC and back-to-back victories over Duke/UNC in the tourney. Those are solid performances. But they also lost to Princeton, and they lost to lowly Boston College, and (pretty recently) they lost to Miami by 16. Those are crappy losses to non-tournament teams, and with this kind of up and down, you could make a better case the FSU will overlook St. Bonies and loose than you can that they should be favored to take out a 1 seed.

BTW, Dickie, SU's losses to non-tourney teams - zero. Its 2 losses all season came with their starting center out on the road, and then in the (meaningless) BET with a 1 seed in their basket. Their RPI is the best in the field, and their conference record (the one they built over 3 months instead of 3 days) is ridiculous.

I'm sticking with the Cuse, and when I want color commentary, I'll be sure to dial Dicky in if there's an ACC game.

Both are very inconsistent teams. Before yesterday when was the last time Vandy won a big game? Like never. Bring em on. I'm more worried about K-State who split with Baylor in 2 close games, so they can obviously play against a decent 2-3 zone plus they beat Missou twice.
Baylor's 2-3 is very tavern league-like...nowhere near as disruptive as SU's version.

Dickie V has his post-season blinders on again, and Digger ... whatever (he was dead sure we'd lose to UConn). These guys insist on using double standards to "judge" the teams they don't like. They look at the worst for SU (2 losses all year and some "close" wins ?), but cull the best performances for their personal favorites. Vandy had a great win over Ky. But, the same team lost to Miss.St. and Indiani St. at home and lost 6 conference games in a weak SEC. Even if Vandy stays hot for longer than a couple of days, they have to play Wisconsin in the second round even to get to us.

Let's look at Dickie's flavor of the week - FSU. The seminoles have some big wins... a huge beatdown of UNC and back-to-back victories over Duke/UNC in the tourney. Those are solid performances. But they also lost to Princeton, and they lost to lowly Boston College, and (pretty recently) they lost to Miami by 16. Those are crappy losses to non-tournament teams, and with this kind of up and down, you could make a better case the FSU will overlook St. Bonies and loose than you can that they should be favored to take out a 1 seed.

BTW, Dickie, SU's losses to non-tourney teams - zero. Its 2 losses all season came with their starting center out on the road, and then in the (meaningless) BET with a 1 seed in their basket. Their RPI is the best in the field, and their conference record (the one they built over 3 months instead of 3 days) is ridiculous.

I'm sticking with the Cuse, and when I want color commentary, I'll be sure to dial Dicky in if there's an ACC game.

both teams had a key player out for these games

Baylor's 2-3 is very tavern league-like...nowhere near as disruptive as SU's version.
Yeah. Anyone who has watched Baylor knows how subpar their zone is. It's not on the same planet as ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom