Vermont Gameday... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Gameday...

face-offs weren't a total fiasco. and they taught us in hockey an assist counts the same as a goal. 1 point. less glory sure but no shame in being the set up man.

Tommy Burke against Phaup and Varello in 2021 - 71%
Tommy Burke againt Big Bad Johnny Richiusa - 56%

We should all be crying tears of joy over this! He came in and did a damn good job! That is huge!
Good call Doc!

Who was the next LSM behind Sam O? Who were primary FO wings. Who were the secondary FO wings? Thx in advance.
Tommy Burke against Phaup and Varello in 2021 - 71%
Tommy Burke againt Big Bad Johnny Richiusa - 56%

We should all be crying tears of joy over this! He came in and did a damn good job! That is huge!
o

Who was the next LSM behind Sam O? Who were primary FO wings. Who were the secondary FO wings? Thx in advance.

o
Going to open that question up to the group. Not the best seat, some beverages, not exactly sure. But it was aviles and olexo to start.

o
Sageder appeared to be LSM #2. I didn’t notice much of Drago or Page. Thought Sageder was the 2nd guy. I noticed Olexo on the wings multiple times. Thought he played a tremendous overall game.

They get fast break opportunities and slow it down. This offense is going to struggle in the ACC.
they fast break to find one offensive player in the offensive end. He looks positively lonely. I saw many of the same problems in this team that we all saw last year. But for Mark, the SU defense looked like last year's version. For example, Kol caught on the opposite side of the field from his cover, Trujillo losing most of his uniform on two consecutive mediocre deeks, Rosa trying to catch up to his man like he was a dog chasing a car. Alexo, Aviles, and Rice played well. Ground balls went to green uniforms during most of the second half. On offense, too many players crowded the goal, very poor distance between players, more forced shots and showboating than this offense deserved to take. Watch Duke play Bellarmine, a team not a whole lot worse than UVM. Duke 19 - 7. Played about 4 midfield lines. SU will need another two years to avoid a feeding frenzy against the ACC. Oh, and Kirst looked like his motor stalled. Leo is an attack. He looked lost from 17 feet from the goal. I'd love the win, if the team looked like they had shed awful play of last year. Nah.

they fast break to find one offensive player in the offensive end. He looks positively lonely. I saw many of the same problems in this team that we all saw last year. But for Mark, the SU defense looked like last year's version. For example, Kol caught on the opposite side of the field from his cover, Trujillo losing most of his uniform on two consecutive mediocre deeks, Rosa trying to catch up to his man like he was a dog chasing a car. Alexo, Aviles, and Rice played well. Ground balls went to green uniforms during most of the second half. On offense, too many players crowded the goal, very poor distance between players, more forced shots and showboating than this offense deserved to take. Watch Duke play Bellarmine, a team not a whole lot worse than UVM. Duke 19 - 7. Played about 4 midfield lines. SU will need another two years to avoid a feeding frenzy against the ACC. Oh, and Kirst looked like his motor stalled. Leo is an attack. He looked lost from 17 feet from the goal. I'd love the win, if the team looked like they had shed awful play of last year. Nah.
Good Mr. Shol, I agree with some of what you are saying. But I dont see how you can be this upset with a defense that gave up 5 goals. That is not all due to the goalie although his play was of course incredible. Some ssdms got beat, but there were far less breakdowns in the slides. Ssdms are going to get beat sometimes. You can live with that if everything doesn't go to hell when the defense gets rotating. 5 goals from a d that regularly gave up 14-15 last season, even to teams of this caliber. That is a sign of progress I would say. UVM turned the ball over a lot but we also forced a lot of those turnovers.

This team doesn't have any good dodgers and that's going to hurt them when they play ACC and Big Ten teams. Gait tells his players to shoot behind the back and they way over did it today. Kirst needs to go on a diet. Finn is an elite passer and after one game is Syracuse's best offensive player. Spallina can't beat his man and the coaches are letting him run wild. If it wasn't for Mark, this game would have been a disaster. Last year, a huge part of the problem was the coaching staff and after one game nothing has changed.

Watch Duke play Bellarmine, a team not a whole lot worse than UVM. Duke 19 - 7.

I mean, the thread is littered with nonsense, but this is among the most absurd.

First, Duke is as talented as anyone, but have underperformed the last couple years. Of course they look nasty- they should.

And Vermont would be a heavy favorite to beat Bellarmine. They were a tourney team last two years. Their kids know how to play and win. Bellarmine would struggle to win the Nescac (liberty or centennial).

This team doesn't have any good dodgers and that's going to hurt them when they play ACC and Big Ten teams. Gait tells his players to shoot behind the back and they way over did it today. Kirst needs to go on a diet. Finn is an elite passer and after one game is Syracuse's best offensive player. Spallina can't beat his man and the coaches are letting him run wild. If it wasn't for Mark, this game would have been a disaster. Last year, a huge part of the problem was the coaching staff and after one game nothing has changed.

I think you were watching a different game if your takeaway was Spallina can't be his man. Kid got off 14 shots, his problem was he couldn't finish. I do agree with you aboyt the coaching, am a little concerned about that, although for stretches I did think the defense was better even if some of the same issues from last season reared their ugly head at times.

Spallina is great a bringing his man to the Island but I don't think he beat his defender off the dodge once. He can get shots off all day however I don't see him having a good shooting percentage playing like that. It's still early and he might get five goals playing against Albany like that but he could end up doing more harm than good against elite defenders.

Fun game, fantastic win.

Our goalie was outstanding. He faced some incredibly difficult shots and made some sweet saves. He looked nice coming out of crease as well (I love goalies that do this) and acting like a 4th defender.

The D was pretty good, great at times, but needs to improve to beat the big boys.
  • Actually was quite impressed with our SSDMs. They pretty much shut their opponents down. So much better than last year.
The clearing was definitely sub par. We did not make good decisions with the ball between the boxes. Sometimes you just gotta run to safety and not try to bust through people.

On O
  • Finn was fun to watch, efficient, smart, and ended up with a nice stat line
  • Hiltz I thought did a decent job letting opportunities come to him, but not many did bc
  • Joey tried a little too hard to get his own shot. Maybe would have been fine if he replaced 5 attempts with a draw and dump instead. That said, its nice to have someone who can generate so many shots. You just don't want it to be at the expense of someone with a better opportunity. He is going to have to shoot it harder, from closer, and with greater deception if he wants to score against a goalie like he saw today.
  • The passing was pretty crisp. I didn't see too many of the inexplicable turnovers on basic passes that have happened too often during our decline
  • Our FO did a great job, given the caliber of his competition
There is hope!

Could the volume be any lower? Goes well with the incorrect starting lineup today. Elite communication school with NAIA production levels, freeking embarrassing.
I assumed they forgot to turn the mike on ;)

Trujillo didn’t get in today. Murphy and Rosa seemed lost at times. Overall the defense played well but was very quiet. Gonna need someone to step up and lead. Takes communication to be consistently good on defense. I believe Figueiras would have been the communicator on D but that will have to wait until next year. Need someone to step up and talk. Man-down was good today.
Goalie play was excellent and Saam was a monster. Saam was high energy and made things happen. He might need to get in some guys faces and motivate. Nice to have captains that are good guys but sometimes you need a captain that has that “AH” in him to demand more from everyone.

Clearing game needs to be better especially at the end of close games.

I’ve seen Joey play a lot and I have to say I’ve never seen him play like he did today. He was able to get topside on his defender a few times but hit the goalie in the chest. Never seen him shoot that way. Many have said that he won’t feel the pressure of the 22 but it was obvious as the game played out he was pressing to make a difference. Joey is gonna need some leadership (help) from Hiltz but I’m not sure Hiltz is that type of guy. Was disappointed in Hiltzs effort on the offensive end and his riding. Hope he picks up the effort or the bigger games could be ugly. He need to lead by example and today was not the example.

FO was decent today. I think it was even. Didn’t hurt the result. Wings were strong.

As far as the midfield line I think the team would be better with Rhoa on the first line. He is bomber and can make the defense feel that they need to stretch further out when he get the ball which could open the field up for the other players. Need to scheme some time and room shots for him.

It’s Game 1 and many on the field today for the Orange were freshman so we should be happy. Vermont is not a scrub win.

I assumed they forgot to turn the mike on ;)
The mic was adjusted down to reflect the strength of the offense :cool:
I'm concerned about March's coaching but I'm thinking at least some of today's struggles were freshman nerves which I can understand. Nerves should not be an issue in the Albany game so we shall see how they respond in the Albany game.

The roller coaster from the Dome roof on the back of our helmets are badass.
I gotta say…..I love those helmets. Otto on one side, block S on the other and the crown truss on the back. Terrific.

I am still hoping that, one day, they have a helmet which has the Orange skin/peel pattern showing the texture.

Go Orange!

SUOrange44

Spallina is great a bringing his man to the Island but I don't think he beat his defender off the dodge once. He can get shots off all day however I don't see him having a good shooting percentage playing like that. It's still early and he might get five goals playing against Albany like that but he could end up doing more harm than good against elite defenders.
They need to utilize more of the big/little pick game with him. Force switches and let him get cleaner looks.

CUSE out ground balled Vermont 9-6 in the 4th quarter when it mattered. They also went 8-10 clearing in the 2nd half and reduced their turnovers in the 2nd half with 8 vs UVMs 12. Just sayin.

UVM picked to win the American East. This is a quality win come tourney time. First day out with a bunch of young kids I’ll take it.

Last edited:

Spallina is an upper level dodger but he doesn't have great speed much less elite speed. He's not gonna blow by most defenders, its not his game. I wouldn't read much into this game, most games he's burying 4 or 5 of those looks. I suspect hes gonna have a monster game against Albany especially with assists

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom