Vermont Gameday... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Gameday...

I thought we looked better and clearly tons of potential. Defense not only got takeaways but they were also hitting people specially coming in middle which think lacked a lot last year or least hits that were legit and not clearly penalties. One thing i would like to see specially after seeing him play with PR is avlies (sorry for spelling) stay on more or push as shooter. Felt last few years our short stick d guys don’t stay on o nearly enough as other do. Olexo clearly can ball but mean besides him. Aviles is super quick and can shoot and beat guys or even if just keeping his o guy on field n having him switch covering our o guys before he runs off. Do think def need middie like a curry who can blow past and dump or rifle shot on run which then defense have to adjust for that and opening up lanes for our offball finishers(hiltz,birt,simm). Was expecting more goals but also kinda expected when uvm went on little run things to start breaking down but didn’t happen defense regain faith help of mark of course and buckled down again. Very very young team sent out this game. Was surprised not to see cordes on much but maby hurt or maby gait wanted to give freshman time see what they can do and how they handled it. Will say with gait don’t think he’s type coach gonna sugar coat things gonna say mostly what he’s thinking tho hope it’s never at expense of player. Either way we won and on to albany.

There are clearly a lot of people who want to see spallina fail. People acting like he doesn’t share the rock are being intentionally misleading or haven’t seen a single speck of footage of the guy before yesterday. I chalk it up to freshman nerves and mental mistakes in game 1. As I said yesterday. He was getting his defender into very vulnerable situations 1v1. When the shots start falling the d will have to respect it and we know he can feed with the best of them when a slide even thinks about coming over. I am not worried. At all.
I don’t want Spallina to fail but day one was underwhelming based on everything that I read on this board about him. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations because for most of the past 25 years when freshman were good they seemed to be right that way right from the start. If memory serves the last time we had a losing record we bounced back and won back to back titles with a highly touted class. I definitely overreact and am one of the posters to ignore sometimes. Just want this team back to where we belong in the worst way. Sick of this drought! UVa was down for like one year and then they were back to championship weekend.

I don’t want Spallina to fail but day one was underwhelming based on everything that I read on this board about him. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations because for most of the past 25 years when freshman were good they seemed to be right that way right from the start. If memory serves the last time we had a losing record we bounced back and won back to back titles with a highly touted class. I definitely overreact and am one of the posters to ignore sometimes. Just want this team back to where we belong in the worst way. Sick of this drought! UVa was down for like one year and then they were back to championship weekend.

UVA had multiple down years late under Starsia, didnt win an ACC game for like 2 years etc.

the Gait brothers were generational talents. you give them the ball and they scored.

that doesn't mean he understands offensive sets . our guys aren't as gifted.

LOL! Will be hard pressed to find a more moronic post than this. Why do I come here?
”Moronic” is a little rough. I call it how I see it. I’m a die hard SU lax fan, but sometimes the truth hurts. Nobody’s perfect, but, hey, at least let me be wrong before you call me a moron. I told you Jordan Evans was a bust early on, I told you early on that Griffin Cook could not shoot, I told you Stephen Rehfuss should have been playing as a freshman when he was mostly sitting on the bench, I told you early on a few years ago that our D was horrible and it turned out to be the worst D in program history, I told you early last year that we were going to get rocked by the good teams, I told you a few years ago that Desko would get fired/step down, I told you right when the news broke that Scanlon would never play again for us again, and I could actually go on. I’ve been called names on this site before, but it looks like I actually have a pretty good track record for making spot-on predictions/early observations, especially for a moron.

Jordan Evans was the #1 high school lacrosse recruit in the nation, the last #1 recruit we’ve gotten, and he also came in wearing #22. Sorry, but he was a total bust. Spallina looked awful yesterday, so how can you not see the comparison? I’m pulling for the kid, but from what I saw, he’s not ‘it’. I‘m actually disappointed that Gait didn’t pull him from the game yesterday. If Vermont wasn’t horrible on offense, they have clearly lost too much of their offense from last year, then we lose yesterday, and Spaliina would have actually been the reason for the loss. It’s obviously early and it’s only 1 game, but, the eyes don’t lie.

Poor Gary Gait. He really wants to bring back the program to dominance, but, sorry, first his twin brother gets paralyzed and now this is going to be another historically bad year for SU lacrosse. I love that Gait used his Canadien pipeline to bring in Finn (he’s going to be awesome!), and maybe he should hire a Native American assistant coach, because we seem to have lost the Native American player pipeline.

If I turn out to be right at the end of the season, and, hey, I hope I’m wrong, too, seriously!, should I expect an apology? I won’t be holding my breath…

”Moronic” is a little rough. I call it how I see it. I’m a die hard SU lax fan, but sometimes the truth hurts. Nobody’s perfect, but, hey, at least let me be wrong before you call me a moron. I told you Jordan Evans was a bust early on, I told you early on that Griffin Cook could not shoot, I told you Stephen Rehfuss should have been playing as a freshman when he was mostly sitting on the bench, I told you early on a few years ago that our D was horrible and it turned out to be the worst D in program history, I told you early last year that we were going to get rocked by the good teams, I told you a few years ago that Desko would get fired/step down, I told you right when the news broke that Scanlon would never play again for us again, and I could actually go on. I’ve been called names on this site before, but it looks like I actually have a pretty good track record for making spot-on predictions/early observations, especially for a moron.

Jordan Evans was the #1 high school lacrosse recruit in the nation, the last #1 recruit we’ve gotten, and he also came in wearing #22. Sorry, but he was a total bust. Spallina looked awful yesterday, so how can you not see the comparison? I’m pulling for the kid, but from what I saw, he’s not ‘it’. I‘m actually disappointed that Gait didn’t pull him from the game yesterday. If Vermont wasn’t horrible on offense, they have clearly lost too much of their offense from last year, then we lose yesterday, and Spaliina would have actually been the reason for the loss. It’s obviously early and it’s only 1 game, but, the eyes don’t lie.

Poor Gary Gait. He really wants to bring back the program to dominance, but, sorry, first his twin brother gets paralyzed and now this is going to be another historically bad year for SU lacrosse. I love that Gait used his Canadien pipeline to bring in Finn (he’s going to be awesome!), and maybe he should hire a Native American assistant coach, because we seem to have lost the Native American player pipeline.

If I turn out to be right at the end of the season, and, hey, I hope I’m wrong, too, seriously!, should I expect an apology? I won’t be holding my breath…

Comparing Spallina to Jordan Evans after one game is beyond insane. Im struggling to find the words on how crazy that is. Evans played 2nd line Mid his frosh year and barely saw the field. Spallina is starting as a true frosh. Can we get some perspective here. Again its 1 game, when hes played like that for 2 years then come back and gloat.

Secondly you realize SU has a native player committed in each of the next two classes and will likely make it three in September.

Comparing Spallina to Jordan Evans after one game is beyond insane. Im struggling to find the words on how crazy that is. Evans played 2nd line Mid his frosh year and barely saw the field. Spallina is starting as a true frosh. Can we get some perspective here. Again its 1 game, when hes played like that for 2 years then come back and gloat.

Secondly you realize SU has a native player committed in each of the next two classes and will likely make it three in September.
Is it equally insane to say that he will be any good after that performance?

Is it equally insane to say that he will be any good after that performance?

Absolutely not, Spallina has a track record of excelling at every level he's played at. Now could he struggle to be an elite level player at this level, absolutely, D1 lax has humbled many a HS star but I am not making any negative assumptions after 1 game for a player who was clearly hyped up and took way to many shots. 1 game means little, lets see what happens over the next few weeks.

This is a weak take. And you reference Paul? A** clown move. It is 1 game. Be better and support the kids, coaches and the program.

Last edited:
Taking shots at Jordan Evan’s whose entire career was plagued with injuries is ignorant. Spallina will be fine he had several passes that should have been finished and failed to finish on some shots he he should have BFD! He still had 2 points which isn’t bad considering the team only put up 7 points. Its
February relax

Did anyone think Mike Leveille would win the Tewaaraton based on his performance his first 2-3 games his freshman year?

It's one game. Let's give him a few more before we force him into the portal
If I recall correctly Mike Leveille won it primarily based on his performance during championship weekend his senior year (in 2008 I believe).

If I recall correctly Mike Leveille won it primarily based on his performance during championship weekend his senior year (in 2008 I believe).
you have to be nominated as a finalist before the playoffs even start. big matt danowski fan?

I did the same thing. Better shot placement by him and others and he ends up with 5 goals and 2 assists. If Kirst and Cook hadn’t run into each other, that’s probably another assist.

The goal Spallina did score was dirty. The shot placement was perfect and elite. Don’t be surprised if he’s sitting at 15 points after this weekend.

I did the same thing. Better shot placement by him and others and he ends up with 5 goals and 2 assists. If Kirst and Cook hadn’t run into each other, that’s probably another assist.

The goal Spallina did score was dirty. The shot placement was perfect and elite. Don’t be surprised if he’s sitting at 15 points after this weekend.
I agree with this perspective. Watched the game live, was impressed with the ability to get in front of the cage - better placement and every naysayer is telling a different story. Let’s not forget, UVM won a tournament game and their conference. Yes they graduated talent and some transferred out, but I’m sure they have the same next man up mentality.

Sorry but the minute he compared Spallina to Jordan Evans any legit criticism goes by the wayside. There's legit concerns on this team but some of the stuff in that post was absurd. Were playing 5 freshman on offense and a completely retooled 1st and 2 midline, the fact they dont look like Syracuses 2004 offense with Powell Knee and Crockett isnt a huge surprise. Im disappointed in the Os first showing but peope are acting like this the first game of 2025 and these dudes are all Jrs
Wait - so now we shouldn't throw in the towel on Spallina after one game?

Honestly, I don't want to throw in the towel on Spallina. Day one was frustrating to watch for me. I was hoping for so much more from him and the other players based on the hype for years. I am sure they will improve and we will build an offense. As a Syracuse fan for all sports I should be used to disappointment. I know I have been spoiled by the decades of lacrosse dominance and was thinking very wrongly this recruiting class would bring us back to prominence right away.

Every college lacrosse team is better and I get it. Hard for me to accept. Players come from everywhere. Being the All time leading scorer from Long Island might not mean what it did 20 years ago.

Miss the days we would drop 15+ on a team like Vermont. Come on Vermont qualified for the playoffs last season because they play in a weak auto qualifying conference. Not like they would have made it for any other reason. Maryland crushed them in round 1. Duke destroyed them in the regular season. We used to feast on teams like this for years.

Feels like we have been patient since 2009 and it is getting old and will not likely be back to past glory anytime soon. Hoping for a better effort vs. Albany.

you have to be nominated as a finalist before the playoffs even start. big matt danowski fan?
Agree you have to be nominated beforehand and while Mike was considered very good I don't think he was given much of a chance to win it going into that Memorial Day weekend in 2008 but won it based on his and SU's great play to win the semi-final and Championship. Matt D fan? Hell no. Orange all the way. I was in Foxboro that year and the following year to cheer on our last two NCAA National Championships. GO ORANGE!

Honestly, I don't want to throw in the towel on Spallina. Day one was frustrating to watch for me. I was hoping for so much more from him and the other players based on the hype for years. I am sure they will improve and we will build an offense. As a Syracuse fan for all sports I should be used to disappointment. I know I have been spoiled by the decades of lacrosse dominance and was thinking very wrongly this recruiting class would bring us back to prominence right away.

Every college lacrosse team is better and I get it. Hard for me to accept. Players come from everywhere. Being the All time leading scorer from Long Island might not mean what it did 20 years ago.

Miss the days we would drop 15+ on a team like Vermont. Come on Vermont qualified for the playoffs last season because they play in a weak auto qualifying conference. Not like they would have made it for any other reason. Maryland crushed them in round 1. Duke destroyed them in the regular season. We used to feast on teams like this for years.

Feels like we have been patient since 2009 and it is getting old and will not likely be back to past glory anytime soon. Hoping for a better effort vs. Albany.
I think if we played them again the end of season we win 15 - 7 or something like that. There goalie made some great saves and we missed some shots just from being the 1st game. I would think everyone will start to play better. Vermont to that's why I gave them two more goals agajnst our physical aggressive defense. Lol

I rewatch the game and I believe Rickiusa had a better game than even the stats indicated. Kicked one ball out of bounds in the first quarter, and also lost the draw, but knocked the ball out of the defenders stick to gain possessions. I think he’s got upside to him.
As far as Spallina is concerned.. on his first dive shot the defenders stick hit Joey stick just enough to alter the shot. I think he’ll be fine.
Also think in time (very soon) Finn is going to be our proverbial second quarterback on the field
Very pleased with the defense improvement. And Will Mark is a stud. Also impressed with Murphy .. he had a couple good stick checks , one that caught a turnover, but wasn’t counted because the shot clock ran out. I see him getting more playtime.

We all want to be back to relevant right away it is important to remember we are asking a lot out of our freshman they will be better for it. There will be ups and downs biggest thing is progression Coaching will be important more just to be there to support them as well as set them up for success. Progress is beating a team that beat us last year in Albany. Really feel wins are huge for a young group the style points will come in time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom