Viable outside of the Family Hires | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Viable outside of the Family Hires

Long shot if Fordham is on the bubble next year, I want Neptune as HC. That might be asking a lot in one year though.

What about Archie or Sean Miller?

What about Archie or Sean Miller?
Definite pass. Archie Millers record at Indiana was worse than JB’s last 8 seasons and Sean Millers last 3 seasons are the same mediocrity JB produced here.

OK, what about Anthony Grant at Dayton? He had Dayton ranked #3 2 years ago!

I would be all for that. He helped Donovan build Florida's championship teams. He did well at VCU. The next season with his players Shaka won the CBI and the year after made the Final Four. In the 11 seasons since then Shaka hasn't made a Sweet 16. His 1st four years at Bama were fine but then he had 2 bad seasons. His 1st season at Dayton was bad but 3 of the last 4 years have been good, including one great one. He is a Dayton alumnus but I much rather have him than an SU guy.

I would be all for that. He helped Donovan build Florida's championship teams. He did well at VCU. The next season with his players Shaka won the CBI and the year after made the Final Four. In the 11 seasons since then Shaka hasn't made a Sweet 16. His 1st four years at Bama were fine but then he had 2 bad seasons. His 1st season at Dayton was bad but 3 of the last 4 years have been good, including one great one. He is a Dayton alumnus but I much rather have him than an SU guy.
Not good enough. 2 tournament worthy teams in the last 11 years at Bama and Dayton.

Love J.Hart. Seeing him in-person out on the road over the past several years here in Atlanta for different AAU events has been fun. You can see that he is engaging with not just other coaches but more importantly the players.

Cooley too. He'd be my next pick.

I thought it would be good to start a thread about who outside the family could be hired. While I think Hopkins gets the first call and then Red the second what are the options if we were to go outside the family. I don't really want to talk about people that are never coming here such as Mark Few, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Nate Oats. For example what about Chris Holtmann. Is he sick of being 2nd fiddle to football. Indiana had interest. After last June his buyout is only his assistants salaries and not 10 million. I know that after we played Ohio State Boeheim had glowing things to say about him as a coach. I don't think we would pay him but if we did and he wanted to go to a place where he could be the most important sport within the university community and play against blue bloods who just replaced their coaches we could make sense.
I started one of these threads two weeks ago. Lol. There was a lot of complaining about this or that guy’s record and tourney success vs JB, but also some very good insights. I still think guys like Shaka Smart, Mike Boynton, Ed Cooley, Wes Miller, Travis Steele, Anthony Grant, and others could be intruiging possibilities. Some of them could take the next step at a place like Syracuse that has more resources and a bigger fanbase and turn us back into a national power and consistent top 25 finishes. I also think there’s potential to land more established guys like Holtman, Cronin, Enfield or Altman.

Last edited:
I thought it would be good to start a thread about who outside the family could be hired. While I think Hopkins gets the first call and then Red the second what are the options if we were to go outside the family. I don't really want to talk about people that are never coming here such as Mark Few, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Nate Oats. For example what about Chris Holtmann. Is he sick of being 2nd fiddle to football. Indiana had interest. After last June his buyout is only his assistants salaries and not 10 million. I know that after we played Ohio State Boeheim had glowing things to say about him as a coach. I don't think we would pay him but if we did and he wanted to go to a place where he could be the most important sport within the university community and play against blue bloods who just replaced their coaches we could make sense.
I think there could also be some surprising names that could emerge based on the limitations of other programs. Here’s one name that’s cropped up with the Louisville job and the rationale for it: Scott Drew at Baylor.
Per Rich Bozich:
“The rumor mill is about to move into overdrive. Several insiders mentioned Scott Drew’s name this week. Check the attendance numbers for the defending national champions this season:

The Bears have averaged 8,098 fans over 14 games, more than 2,000 less than capacity at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas. Remember: This is after winning the 2021 national title with a top-10 team for most of this season.

Maybe Drew would listen to a legitimate push from a place where basketball matters.”

Not saying we’d be able to land a guy like Drew. But fan base and crowds matter to these guys, not to mention revenue potential with a place like the Dome. And OrangeNation is still one of the best. We had 8000 student fans alone for the Duke game.

Last edited:
I can’t even picture Jason considering zone. And, someone mentioned Luke Murray. He would be a good assistant with strong recruiting ties. But, he has worked for Sean Miller and Chris Mack, so that is a bit sketchy.
USC played a lot of zone when Hart was an assistant there.

It's funny... I was going to mention Beilein.

Let's just hire HIM. Guy has been tremendously successful at multiple collegiate stops [NBA debacle notwithstanding].

Would love someone with that kind of track record, who might be looking for an opportunity to go out on a high note after failing at the NBA jump.
Beilein would be the ideal pick at this point, imo. He’s a brilliant offensive mind. And in his later years at Michigan he hired a defensive guru coach to help him on that side of the ball, and UM became a really good defensive team. Shows he’s still interested in growth and getting better and doesn’t have JB’s stubbornness.

I think there could also be some surprising names that could emerge based on the limitations of other programs. Here’s one name that’s cropped up with the Louisville job and the rationale for it: Scott Drew at Baylor.
Per Rich Bozich:
“The rumor mill is about to move into overdrive. Several insiders mentioned Scott Drew’s name this week. Check the attendance numbers for the defending national champions this season:

The Bears have averaged 8,098 fans over 14 games, more than 2,000 less than capacity at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas. Remember: This is after winning the 2021 national title with a top-10 team for most of this season.

Maybe Drew would listen to a legitimate push from a place where basketball matters.”

Not saying we’d be able to land a guy like Drew. But fan base and crowds matter to these guys, not to mention revenue potential with a place like the Dome. And OrangeNation is still one of the best.
Scott Drew would be a home run hire for anyone. If he goes to Louisville that’s bad for us.

Hart has been my guy for awhile.

Pitino and Cooley intrigue me.

Not excited by anyone else that would seem to be obtainable, at the moment.
I'm also Cooley-curious, but Providence is such a different sort of job that I'm just having trouble imagining how his success there would translate.

I like

John Becker
Kenny Payne
Ed Cooley
Jason Hart
Eric Musselman

Wishful Thinking
Tony Bennett
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Rick Pitino

Hart has been my guy for awhile.

Pitino and Cooley intrigue me.

Not excited by anyone else that would seem to be obtainable, at the moment.
Beilein?

I like

John Becker
Kenny Payne
Ed Cooley
Jason Hart
Eric Musselman

Wishful Thinking
Tony Bennett
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Rick Pitino
Two of your wishful thinking are two of the biggest cheaters in college basketball. They could volunteer and still never get hired at SU.

Why wouldn't Oats take the job? Bama fans don't care about basketball.

Scott Drew would be a home run hire for anyone. If he goes to Louisville that’s bad for us.
I really like Drew's demeanor and style. He's also done a helluva job over the last few years. He used to play zone yet last year's squad played ferocious m-t-m defense. Showed he could adapt to his talent. Putting a Davion Mitchell in a zone would have been coaching malpractice.

I like

John Becker
Kenny Payne
Ed Cooley
Jason Hart
Eric Musselman

Wishful Thinking
Tony Bennett
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Rick Pitino
Musselman can certainly coach but he's an insufferable pr*ck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom