Viable outside of the Family Hires | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Viable outside of the Family Hires

I mean that's a ditto for Scott Drew. Might as well swing for the fences.

Baylor football was good for what 5 years under a disgraced coach that isn't exactly Alabama who might be the best program ever factoring in Sabans run.

Drew was a very good coach for a very long time until he started getting any credit. When they beat us in the first round and JB rode a freshman Buddy who was shell shocked for 40 mins into the ground noone was touting him as a JB replacement. If Boeheim retired after that game and we hired Drew this forum would have hated it.

I really like Drew's demeanor and style. He's also done a helluva job over the last few years. He used to play zone yet last year's squad played ferocious m-t-m defense. Showed he could adapt to his talent. Putting a Davion Mitchell in a zone would have been coaching malpractice.
He “only” makes 2.7 million.

Last edited:
Hart feels like someone who could be a grand slam in some ways, even if the odds are slim. He may not tick all the right boxes for some, but the way he has pushed himself in life shouldn't be discounted. For that alone. Plus some potential cross-country pipeline re-establishment.

His defense got him 10+ years in the league, IIRC.

Musselman can certainly coach but he's an insufferable pr*ck.

Like Drew hes a good bet to settle down and age well.

He makes us a top 3/4 ACC program. I think he takes the job for the right $$$. Offering him this year could be a year too early but if Arkansas doesn't have a final four run this year or next I bet he jumps next offseason.

Like Drew hes a good bet to settle down and age well.

He makes us a top 3/4 ACC program. I think he takes the job for the right $$$. Offering him this year could be a year too early but if Arkansas doesn't have a final four run this year or next I bet he jumps next offseason.
I think he will leave Arkansas with the first good offer but not sure he'd be interested in coming to SU.

Why do you say that? I honestly haven’t heard.
I've watched how he's carried on after winning some big games in the NCAAT at Nevada and Arkansas. Jumping on the scorer's table and acting like the fool while the other team hasn't even left the floor. Also not giving the other team any credit. Insufferable in victory. Dude can coach though.

I've watched how he's carried on after winning some big games in the NCAAT at Nevada and Arkansas. Jumping on the scorer's table and acting like the fool while the other team hasn't even left the floor. Also not giving the other team any credit. Insufferable in victory. Dude can coach though.
He acted that way last week when the beat LSU. He acted like an ass.

Definite pass. Archie Millers record at Indiana was worse than JB’s last 8 seasons and Sean Millers last 3 seasons are the same mediocrity JB produced here.

Yeah, but these are still young guys. I don't think they forgot how to coach. Sean is better, but also more toxic. But worse people have gotten more chances on the big stage.

I would be all for that. He helped Donovan build Florida's championship teams. He did well at VCU. The next season with his players Shaka won the CBI and the year after made the Final Four. In the 11 seasons since then Shaka hasn't made a Sweet 16. His 1st four years at Bama were fine but then he had 2 bad seasons. His 1st season at Dayton was bad but 3 of the last 4 years have been good, including one great one. He is a Dayton alumnus but I much rather have him than an SU guy.

I think Chris Mack is a better coach than Shaka, and the whole blackmail thing was going to screw up any job, let's be honest. Seems like an awfully good coach who could excel in a new environment.

I think there could also be some surprising names that could emerge based on the limitations of other programs. Here’s one name that’s cropped up with the Louisville job and the rationale for it: Scott Drew at Baylor.
Per Rich Bozich:
“The rumor mill is about to move into overdrive. Several insiders mentioned Scott Drew’s name this week. Check the attendance numbers for the defending national champions this season:

The Bears have averaged 8,098 fans over 14 games, more than 2,000 less than capacity at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas. Remember: This is after winning the 2021 national title with a top-10 team for most of this season.

Maybe Drew would listen to a legitimate push from a place where basketball matters.”

Not saying we’d be able to land a guy like Drew. But fan base and crowds matter to these guys, not to mention revenue potential with a place like the Dome. And OrangeNation is still one of the best. We had 8000 student fans alone for the Duke game.

We would be a stepping stone job for Drew. Three years tops.

Love J.Hart. Seeing him in-person out on the road over the past several years here in Atlanta for different AAU events has been fun. You can see that he is engaging with not just other coaches but more importantly the players.

Cooley too. He'd be my next pick.

If we had J Hart, I wouldn't mind Etan being our big man coach!

Beilein would be the ideal pick at this point, imo. He’s a brilliant offensive mind. And in his later years at Michigan he hired a defensive guru coach to help him on that side of the ball, and UM became a really good defensive team. Shows he’s still interested in growth and getting better and doesn’t have JB’s stubbornness.

Isn't he also way past retirement age?

Stepping stone. Can you imagine what he could do here after what he’s done at Baylor.

And where else is he going to go? UK when Calipari retires? Duke and UNC are content hiring alums.

Drew is a guy with deep midwestern roots. You don't think he would see the Ohio State or especially the Indiana job as more prestigious than Syracuse?

Drew is a guy with deep midwestern roots. You don't think he would see the Ohio State or especially the Indiana job as more prestigious than Syracuse?
Where is Chris Holtmann going? Indiana just hired an alum.

I think he will leave Arkansas with the first good offer but not sure he'd be interested in coming to SU.

If Louisville offers him hes going there.

We'll see which SEC teams have disappointing tournament runs. Hard to tell who will go deep and who won't make it out of the first weekend of the 8 or so teams they are getting in.

Yeah, but these are still young guys. I don't think they forgot how to coach. Sean is better, but also more toxic. But worse people have gotten more chances on the big stage.
I will say one thing. I watched a podcast of Jeff Goodman's last night where he had both Miller brothers on his show. Those guys really know their college hoops. I mean way better than some guys who are on tv. Very impressive.

Where is Chris Holtmann going? Indiana just hired an alum.

Do you think Boeheim is leaving this summer, because then it's a whole different list of people, isn't it?

If Louisville offers him hes going there.

We'll see which SEC teams have disappointing tournament runs. Hard to tell who will go deep and who won't make it out of the first weekend of the 8 or so teams they are getting in.

As an aside it's really interesting how the SEC has gotten a pretty good collection of coaches now.

Calipari, Barnes, Pearl, Oats, Howland, Musselman, Wade, even Frank Martin. Not to mention Buzz Williams and Mike White.

I will say one thing. I watched a podcast of Jeff Goodman's last night where he had both Miller brothers on his show. Those guys really know their college hoops. I mean way better than some guys who are on tv. Very impressive.

They learned under some very good coaches - both of them coached for Thad Matta, and Herbie Sendek (who was a pretty good coach for an android ...), and they have both successfully run programs and made tournament runs.

I could deal with that if we are winning. I guess it would get old after a while. None of these guys are Boy Scouts and probably any winning coach has some skeletons I’m sure of it.

In my opinion I would rather have a winner that was obnoxious than some choir boy that was mediocre. Hopefully we can get a happy medium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom