Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ??

So you would like your entire season ticket order refunded because they moved the Villanova game to a Friday on a holiday weekend? (For reasons which we don't yet know?).

In all honesty, I think they should refund it.

Chip, at the very least, tickets and parking for the Nova game. They sold this game under false pretenses.

I'm going to look into it. But I know what answer I'm probably going to get.

In all honesty, I might not have purchased the package if I knew I couldn't make two games.

Jason Aldean?

Who is Jason Aldean?

They moved the game for Jason Aldean? Wow, that's low.

I know Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes are playing at the Fair Friday night.

For the record, there are only 2 games currently scheduled for Friday, August 29.

UNLV at Arizona.
BYU at UCONN

The Arizona game could be on Fox Sports 1.
ESPN I guess would carry BYU.

Could this game end up on ESPN 2 or ESPN U or ESPN News or ESPN 8, The Ocho?

I have no data. I'm just guessing.

Can't imagine our game gets anything better than ESPN3.

Jason Aldean?

Who is Jason Aldean?

I know Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes are playing at the Fair Friday night.

I'm not a country music fan but I know that Jason Aldean will probably sellout the grandstand on Saturday.

I came over to the football board this afternoon because I was tired of reading the misery index on the hoops board.

And what do I find? The Nova game has been changed.

orangedave said:
Not to be disrespectful to either Bees or Cuseguy but isn't it possible that some other diehards might have had trouble getting to the Saturday game?

No doubt. But then they shouldn't put the schedule out if they're gonna change it.

I came over to the football board this afternoon because I was tired of reading the misery index on the hoops board.

Probably a good idea to avoid the LAX board as well. :oops:

Jim happens to be killing it right now on the Humor board.

Is this the thread where I get to bash the older folks who typically complain about the narcissism of the younger folks?

ME! WHAT ABOUT ME?!?!?!

Update from the Post-Standard:
Joe Giansante, the chief of communications for SU's athletic department, cited several reasons for the date change.

1. He said moving the game to Friday will give fans more flexibility in planning their Labor Day weekend.

2. The season opener for many schools is viewed as an event, something that lends itself to more build-up.

In addition to Labor Day weekend, the date of the game also conflicts with the New York State Fair. Giansante said the country music star Jason Aldean's concert at the Fairgrounds was a minor influencing factor to moving the game, too.
Aldean is scheduled to perform that Saturday night.

"We knew about Jason Aldean," Giansante said. "We all love him. That's a great event. Anytime there's an opportunity not to have to compete with something of that magnitude, it makes sense,
along with all the other things."

Christ were moving games because of second rate country stars. Whatever thread we were still holding on to from our 80's and 90's success to make us a national program is officially gone.

Serious reply: honestly, what's the difference? No one's going to go anyway, our attendance blows. Sorry for those who have a Friday conflict, and there's probably an equal # of people who had a Saturday conflict. All of them put together might fill one section.

Well, I'm out. Had I known this, I wouldn't have purchased season tickets and a parking pass.

Looks like I'll be selling most of my tickets.

Can't make either of the Friday games.
I feel your pain. Beginning to wonder if season tix are worth it anymore, and I've had them for a long time. Ya I'm pissed!! :bang:

Jason Aldean?

Who is Jason Aldean?

Time to be honest this program is so far removed from its hey day it isnt even funny. Were now moving games for country shows at the fair. Wow. Whats next? Moving the spring game because its the first day the new section opening at Destiny. Christ.

Chip, at the very least, tickets and parking for the Nova game. They sold this game under false pretenses.

I'm going to look into it. But I know what answer I'm probably going to get.

In all honesty, I might not have purchased the package if I knew I couldn't make two games.

I will grant you that SU should stick to the schedule they publish unless someone like ESPN is making the decision for them.

In this case though, SU thinks they'll get some net gain out of it. Probably doesn't matter either way. Most people buying season tickets are doing it for the Maryland and ACC games (specifically FSU).

I understand your not put out but form this thread alone it appears two diehards (Bees/Cuseguy) will now have to miss the game.

I understand that Syracuse has played some different days and times to open the season but the opponent was of a much higher quality and the TV coverage was usually ESPN.

I guess the Fair could play some role but I feel that would make more sense if we were playing a BCS level team and the game was scheduled for Noon on Sat. That I could understand moving the game to hopefully increase attendance and to try and take the Fair out of it. But to move a Sat afternoon game against Nova of all teams, makes zero sense.
Make that three diehards!

Hope Mink follows up and asks Giansante, who never offers anything remotely informative, why SU fans had to find out through Villanova instead of SU?

This might be minor, but it's yet another example of the current SUAD not caring about the fans...and they wonder why the community isn't giving them the level of support they desire? I hope Chancellor Kent cleans house this summer

just my guess Syracuse was waiting to announce this until after this weekends ncaa tourney games

JeremyCuse said:
Christ were moving games because of second rate country stars. Whatever thread we were still holding on to from our 80's and 90's success to make us a national program is officially gone.
You take that back bout Aldean. Top 25 concert sales for 2013 is not second rate

Last edited:
Well that blows. I'm sure my kid will have a Friday night game himself.
Call the School District AD and alert him to the new gametime...tell him he ought to think about not competing against SU.

JeremyCuse said:
Just when I think Syracuse cant possibly screw up scheduling anymore BOOM. Why in the world would they move this game to Friday before labor day weekend? Thats one of the busiest travel days of the year, not to mention an extremely well attended Fair day. UGH cant wait to hear this explanation.
who cares your either a fan or not I like Friday night to start season inside dome than a noon home game like usual