Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia has a COVID case - out of ACCT - potential SU impact?

can you even really practice during this.. if you do and one guy has an issue you are screwed if you isolate you have a chance.. ESPN just said they hope to travel on Friday. its gonna be tough on them
They essentially can’t practice till Friday. Ohio is going to be a sexy pick.

Correct: high ACE2 expression in the pons and medulla oblongata. S1 spike protein can traverse the BBB. While I don't believe we've confirmed whether the virus in toto can get / has gotten through, the attendant cytokine storm is still sufficient to disrupt CNS function.

Midbrain is the other part of the brain steam besides Pons and Medulla Oblongata, right? I was assuming from what I had read that Midbrain was included as having high ACE2 expression, is that not correct?

I haven't seen any reports of full viral particles crossing the BBB but I assume that research is ongoing and just hasn't been reported yet. Wonder if the headache side effect that is commonly reported for both Moderna and pFizer is related to your last sentence here, since both vaccines are coded to produce spike for the immune system to develop antibodies against?

If you are conducting any SARS-CoV-2 research, I'd be interested in chatting via PM. Our lab deals with many different varieties of spike protein but we have safeguards in place to make sure they are handled carefully. Thankfully we don't deal with any active virus, I don't want to deal with pain of running a BSL 3 lab.

Last edited:
Correct: high ACE2 expression in the pons and medulla oblongata. S1 spike protein can traverse the BBB. While I don't believe we've confirmed whether the virus in toto can get / has gotten through, the attendant cytokine storm is still sufficient to disrupt CNS function.
Scary. For normal folks, I assume CNS = central nervous system?

Today is the day, right?

My understanding (not 100% clear) is that they are testing every member of each team every day for COVID. If even one instance is found from Selection Sunday to today, the team will be removed from the tournament and a replacement from the NIT will be brought in.

The daily tests will continue the duration of the tournament, but a positive test after today results in a forfeit from this point forward.

So all teams are on pins and needles the whole tournament, but maybe even more so until the results of the tests are released today.

I assume no news so far means no positive tests. Could we get through to the end of today with no teams eliminated? I believe UL is the last team out. Today is, I think, their last chance to sneak in.

As of yesterday afternoon, Virginia didn't have any additional positive test results. All of their players have been isolating so my guess is that they're probably pretty safe at this point. They'll most likely play on Saturday and the only player that won't travel is the kid that came in off the bench against Syracuse.

Midbrain is the other part of the brain steam besides Pons and Medulla Oblongata, right? I was assuming from what I had read that Midbrain was included as having high ACE2 expression, is that not correct?

I haven't seen any reports of full viral particles crossing the BBB but I assume that research is ongoing and just hasn't been reported yet. Wonder if the headache side effect that is commonly reported for both Moderna and pFizer is related to your last sentence here, since both vaccines are coded to produce spike for the nervous system to develop antibodies against?

If you are conducting any SARS-CoV-2 research, I'd be interested in chatting via PM. Our lab deals with many different varieties of spike protein but we have safeguards in place to make sure they are handled carefully. Thankfully we don't deal with any active virus, I don't want to deal with pain of running a BSL 3 lab.
Midbrain is indeed part of the stem. ACE2 expression is likely high there as well, although I've seen discordant data from some groups (RNA). Difficult to ascribe headache to vaccine(s) with high confidence, but a reasonable thesis for sure.

I'm not actively conducting research; rather, I consult for pharma/biotech/VCs on study design, development programs, and clinical utility. I do wish you luck with your work; obviously of critical importance near term and can likely port our experience with CoV2 over to the next wave of infectious agents.

Interesting stuff. So general question- does this correlate with short term memory issues relative to CoVid? That is my issue - 5 plus weeks out from original positive.

They haven't practiced except by zoom meetings this entire time. First practice I think they said was tomorrow...brutal

So the way the world works, everyone will think Virginia will exit early based on all of this. That means Virginia will make sweet sixteen at least and most likely go further.

So the way the world works, everyone will think Virginia will exit early based on all of this. That means Virginia will make sweet sixteen at least and most likely go further.
and now with you posting this they’ll lose by 30 to ohio

Sorry for asking this, don’t have time to parse all 500+ posts. Do we know UVa player than tested positive played yesterday? Do we know who or is there a rumor to who it is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom