"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today

Worst KP Defensive Efficiency Ranking Last 2 years - P6 Teams
Calculated as average of the 21/22 ranking and the 22/23 ranking

Out of 76 teams

#76. Georgetown
#75. Georgia
#74. Oregon St
#73. Louisville
#72. Syracuse

Out of 76 teams
#76. Georgetown
#75. Georgia
#74. Oregon St
#73. Louisville
#72. Syracuse

It's crazy too that our def points allowed per 100 possessions is worse this year despite a better ranking.

My goodness. He is insane! The narcissism is off the charts.

We are ranked 227 out of 363 in defense giving up 71ppg. We were ranked 314 last season so I guess we should be happy.

As far as 3pt defense whoa….

We are ranked 362 in 3pt attempts allowed and 361 in 3pt FG allowed. Almost dead last. We give them up at a .341 clip which ranks 201 in the nation.

While we are ranking I seen offensive rebounds given up. We give up 12.6 a game which ranks us at 356. Almost dead last again.

Jim just stop! Nobody believes you!
With this data and with JB’s gaslighting and other generally terrible statements, Wildhack has to tel him he is done at the end of this year. Right?? ?? How can this continue?

This ESPN radio group of Infanti and Paulie doesn’t help the cause. I understand that they need to be careful due to their weekly segments, and the agreement their station has. But come on.

During the interview, Boeheim says that “everyone knew this was a young team. Everyone knew that it would struggle.” Then went on to say everyone predicted 17 wins… then asked how many they had (16).

WAIT WAIT WAIT Jim. You said this team was “an NCAA Tournament team” in this article:

That was FOUR MONTHS AGO! Where is the accountability? Where are the proper questions? This team as early as the second week of the season was CLEARLY not an NCAA team.

Infuriating.

Out of 76 teams
#76. Georgetown
#75. Georgia
#74. Oregon St
#73. Louisville
#72. Syracuse
Ooof. Apparently you can only have a good defense using zone. Hop actually has a better defense, but they're still losing.

1677193796402.png

ETA: yes I'm going to use CBB analytics for all of my posts now. This site is like crack to a stats-minded person. The graphical representation is so smooth.

This ESPN radio group of Infanti and Paulie doesn’t help the cause. I understand that they need to be careful due to their weekly segments, and the agreement their station has. But come on.

During the interview, Boeheim says that “everyone knew this was a young team. Everyone knew that it would struggle.” Then went on to say everyone predicted 17 wins… then asked how many they had (16).

WAIT WAIT WAIT Jim. You said this team was “an NCAA Tournament team” in this article:

That was FOUR MONTHS AGO! Where is the accountability? Where are the proper questions? This team as early as the second week of the season was CLEARLY not an NCAA team.

Infuriating.
He was gaslighting then, and is gaslighting today.

Ooof. Apparently you can only have a good defense using zone. Hop actually has a better defense, but they're still losing.

View attachment 225354

ETA: yes I'm going to use CBB analytics for all of my posts now. This site is like crack to a stats-minded person. The graphical representation is so smooth.
Hopkins is a worse offensive coach than JB. His teams have been awful on that side of the ball.

Infuriating.
He’s finally lost Brent. Paulie is an apologist.

View attachment 225354

Yeah and even Washington's numbers are basically above average more than good. Their points per 100 possession numbers are worse at 98.5 than ours was in 2021 at 96.9.

My god, i feel so stupid for believing/trusting we had an intelligent man at the head coaching position. Even in the face of him saying/doing a lot of illogical things over the years, still, i though... 'quirks.' But, no. He's just not bright. Even as desperate rationalization, these are idiotic things he continues to say and double down on. And now, over the years, the sum of all these dumb things just cements for me the assessment—'successful' basketball coach, not an intelligent human. Not mutually exclusive.

I've been disappointed by our program at times. Now i'm sick of it.

My god, i feel so stupid for believing/trusting we had an intelligent man at the head coaching position. Even in the face of him saying/doing a lot of illogical things over the years, still, i though... 'quirks.' But, no. He's just not bright. Even as desperate rationalization, these are idiotic things he continues to say and double down on. And now, over the years, the sum of all these dumb things just cements for me the assessment—'successful' basketball coach, not an intelligent human. Not mutually exclusive.
He’s actually highly intelligent. I think he thinks the rest of us are idiots. In fact, I know he does.

Hopkins is a worse offensive coach than JB. His teams have been awful on that side of the ball.
Yes, I read a comment on Hop's offense once that described it as, and I'm paraphrasing, about as efficient as a clogged toilet.

Would love to know when he has taken ownership for not performing to standards. Its a truly honest question. I mean this is a team, players and coaches are the components of a team. Has it ever been his fault the team lost? Has he ever stated he messed up shortly after a loss? Its easy to say "you know 5 yrs ago in so-n-so game I should have X" but in the moment, when your facing fire, has he ever said "yes I messed that up" or "I should have done X, thats on me"? Its ok the be wrong FFS, everyone messes up, no one is perfect. The only people who think they are, are sociopaths.

Ummm...ok...

Virginia is currently 21-5 and 27th in AdjD on KenPom

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in AdjD on KenPom

The idea that folks are tired of the zone because of a result of one game is the typical gaslighting we've known to expect the past couple years.
I think NCAA is adding rules gradually to nerf zone defense just to piss off Jim Boeheim and make his life miserable. NCAA will stop doing it after his retirement.

Infuriating.

He’s the anti-Kelce: “No one believed in us!”

Out of 76 teams
#76. Georgetown
#75. Georgia
#74. Oregon St
#73. Louisville
#72. Syracuse
The problem with the "switch to man" and "zone needs to go" crowd is that it's not the zone itself that is the problem it's the personnel. Last year the combination of JGIII, Buddy, Jimmy, and Cole Swider sucked defensively and would have sucked just as much playing man to man.

This year the issue is inexperience. The zone is at it's best when it's being played by players with lots of experience in it. Tough to have a good zone with 4 freshmen playing major minutes. The more you play the zone the better you get at it.

Syracuse zone used to be great because we recruited long athletic wing players who stuck around for the 3-4 years it takes to master it. If this same team returns intact next year the zone will be good.

Also the whole "the game has changed the zone is obsolete" argument is B.S. The zone was great two years ago in the tourney and was great during the Tyus Battle years. All of the major changes to basketball (more emphasis on the long ball) had already happened by then.

The problem with the "switch to man" and "zone needs to go" crowd is that it's not the zone itself that is the problem it's the personnel. Last year the combination of JGIII, Buddy, Jimmy, and Cole Swider sucked defensively and would have sucked just as much playing man to man.

This year the issue is inexperience. The zone is at it's best when it's being played by players with lots of experience in it. Tough to have a good zone with 4 freshmen playing major minutes. The more you play the zone the better you get at it.

Syracuse zone used to be great because we recruited long athletic wing players who stuck around for the 3-4 years it takes to master it. If this same team returns intact next year the zone will be good.

Also the whole "the game has changed the zone is obsolete" argument is B.S. The zone was great two years ago in the tourney and was great during the Tyus Battle years. All of the major changes to basketball (more emphasis on the long ball) had already happened by then.
Why not just play M2M like the 359 1/2 other D1 teams and not worry about having a specific player body type but just good basketball players? Can teams not have good defenses with M2M?

Last edited:
I'll echo what a lot of folks in this thread have said. The issue isn't that Boeheim thinks his defenses and UVA's have performed comparably well and that there’s some kind of double standard. He's not stupid. He knows anyone can look this stuff up. Or at least I hope so.

Rather, the issue is that large swaths of the fanbase will continue to eat his slop up for as long as he's willing to shovel it, and the local media doesn't have the option to push back without sacrificing the access that is their lifeblood.
I beg to differ...