"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today

sad to see what's happening.

the reason it has gone exponentially toxic amongst fans this year is many fans expected him to walk away after Buddy graduated. He should have walked away sooner but everyone was just patiently waiting for him to have one last season to see him finish coaching Buddy and Jimmy, despite the horrible roster construction that had to happen to ensure their minutes, the blind spots he has that created the player transfers, and having players played out of position all the time. He said earlier in the year that this is a freshman team EVERYONE is new...including Joe because he is just now playing his natural position 2 lol. Everyone was willing to just wait this out but when Buddy graduated and he didn't retire, the patience ran out, frustration boiled over.

I watched most of the Duke game, skipped the Clemson game. I was home but I just didn't turn it on, my wife was watching the Food Channel and asked if I want to switch over and I said no. I did the cable upgrade to have the ACCN so I can catch more cuse games but I don't think I will miss it now. I can't decide what is more frustrating, watching another cuse game and hope they play well, or watch that Oak Island show and hope they find something more than a rusted nail and speculate what it was for 45 minutes.

Last edited:
sad to see what's happening.

the reason it has gone exponentially toxic amongst fans this year is many fans expected him to walk away after Buddy graduated. He should have walked away sooner but everyone was just patiently waiting for him to have one last season to see him finish coaching Buddy and Jimmy, despite the horrible roster construction that had to happen to ensure their minutes, the blind spots he has that created the player transfers, and having players played out of position all the time. He said earlier in the year that this is a freshman team EVERYONE is new...including Joe because he is just now playing his natural position 2 lol. Everyone was willing to just wait this out but when Buddy graduated and he didn't retire, the patience ran out, frustration boiled over.
I'd add on that if BEFORE last year, he said it would be his last, the general feedback during last year would been much much less as well. Coach your two sons and call it a career. Standing Os and all that.

Not to be a Debbie downer. But tomorrows game has the making of another 20 point blow out. Can’t wait to see what he has to say after that one. Obviously hope I’m wrong but things are getting pretty ugly now

Not to be a Debbie downer. But tomorrows game has the making of another 20 point blow out. Can’t wait to see what he has to say after that one. Obviously hope I’m wrong but things are getting pretty ugly now

I bet we win. Jumping off the "everything Boeheim does is awful" train for a second. When his back is against the wall (or the team is) they tend to respond. My guess is we'll see a spirited performance from them to at least give them a puncher's shot in the ACCT. Not saying they win the ACCT just saying he's not gonna give up now.

how many times do you have to be punched hard in the face before you realize i better change my stance ?

I'd add on that if BEFORE last year, he said it would be his last, the general feedback during last year would been much much less as well. Coach your two sons and call it a career. Standing Os and all that.

That and his insistence in thumbing the eye of the of the AD and the fanbase this year like a complete troll...
  • The coming back for "best recruiting class ever" and "guaranteed tourney team" (which no one believed) to "we're not good and starting a bunch of freshmen, what do people expect?"
  • The asinine Thamel interview and calling out other programs for buying teams - complete PR train wreck
  • Another (yet again) public dressing-down of a DO student reporter over a basic question he said he'd answer in the presser prior to the game
  • The "...Retire, why would I ?? 95% the fanbase wants me to continue." nonsense
  • Now this moronic "VA Defense" comment
Talk about hammering coffin nails in your legacy?? Enough is enough already.

I've said it before, but at a certain point JB stopped driving to win championships, and became content with the idea that a good year meant making the tournament and making a little run.

The problem he didn't foresee, is that the effort required to make the tournament and go on a run is the same effort needed to win championships.

He got content. He might have gotten lazy. He certainly at least either doesn't have or isn't willing to commit the energy he once did.
100% correct.

He clearly wanted a 2nd ring. And the resurgence of the program between 2009 and 2014 was remarkable. 2010 and 2012 still pains me, those were championship-caliber teams.

We still had great talent into 2016/17-ish. The regular seasons were disappointing but there's no denying that Malachai, Lydon, Gbinije, Cooney, Battle, etc. were all top shelf.

And then... Buddy came and I really believe that JB prioritized getting pliable guys in the program who wouldn't cause him any grief. The fire to win titles was clearly gone.

He got content. He might have gotten lazy. He certainly at least either doesn't have or isn't willing to commit the energy he once did.
To me, it seems like JB is trying to prove that he can continue to win by doing things his way regardless, or in spite of, what anyone else thinks. He doesn't feel that he needs to "chase" higher end recruits or have to deal with their egos when they get here. He can win with what he has, or least that is what he needs to believe. The same mentality goes for recruiting the portal and playing zone exclusively.

Is this narcissism or ego driven behavior, age related decline, laziness, stubbornness, or something else? I still think that JB's behavior is, and always has been, driven by deep rooted insecurity despite the HOF career, NC, and all the winning. The things that he "says" and the outbursts in PCs and interviews, IMO, are often rationalizations triggered by insecurity.

I feel for JB. He has been the face of SU basketball for nearly 50 years. This can't be easy for him as he faces the inevitable end of his career.

I bet we win. Jumping off the "everything Boeheim does is awful" train for a second. When his back is against the wall (or the team is) they tend to respond. My guess is we'll see a spirited performance from them to at least give them a puncher's shot in the ACCT. Not saying they win the ACCT just saying he's not gonna give up now.

Why? When have they shown the capability to win a tough road game? Their best win on the road is Notre Dame or Boston f@@&$ college.

Why would they respond now? Why wouldn’t they respond at Clemson after being toyed with by Duke at home in front of their biggest crowd?

I feel for JB. He has been the face of SU basketball for nearly 50 years. This can't be easy for him as he faces the inevitable end of his career.

OK, but Coach K nd Jay Wright retired with grace and dignity. In fact, most coaches do...

Why can't ours? Is it really that hard?

OK, but Coach K nd Jay Wright retired with grace and dignity. In fact, most coaches do...

Why can't ours? Is it really that hard?
If only everyone were the same...

The zone is inextricably linked to JB's identity.
Unless you have particularly strong character and intellect, it's difficult to surrender your identity and acknowledge if/when it needs to evolve. He's just not going to acknowledge his identity is a fossil, so the fault must lie elsewhere.

To me, it seems like JB is trying to prove that he can continue to win by doing things his way regardless, or in spite of, what anyone else thinks. He doesn't feel that he needs to "chase" higher end recruits or have to deal with their egos when they get here. He can win with what he has, or least that is what he needs to believe. The same mentality goes for recruiting the portal and playing zone exclusively.

Is this narcissism or ego driven behavior, age related decline, laziness, stubbornness, or something else? I still think that JB's behavior is, and always has been, driven by deep rooted insecurity despite the HOF career, NC, and all the winning. The things that he "says" and the outbursts in PCs and interviews, IMO, are often rationalizations triggered by insecurity.

In fairness to JB, "his way" has been ridiculously successful. So I do understand his perspective that he knows the game better than any of his critics.

That being said, I contrast what JB has done recently to how I've watched Bill Belichick handle this offseason. Bill tried a very unorthodox approach to offense last season, and it blew up in his face. There was a lot of talk from Pats fans about stubbornness, arrogance, etc. There were times it was eerily remeniscient to the commentary here.

But... within a week of the season ending, Bill took complete ownership of the situation, publicly acknowledged that what he tried didn't work, and made substantial changes to his staff to address those shortcomings. Who knows if next season will see improvement, but it won't be from a lack of trying.

I think we'd all go a lot easier on JB if we saw any sign that he was admitting that there have been failures and he was genuinely trying to alter his approach. But he really hasn't. It's very disappointing.

I would argue our back was already against the wall against both Duke and Clemson.
And we did nothing.

But it's one game and anything can happen. So sure we can win.
I do know Pitt will be much more fired up to beat us because of JB's comments.

Last edited:

There is no question he is insecure. I think a lot of it has to do with his upbringing (based on comments from the books I've ready about his life).

I think the reasons you list can all be pointed to in some way. The thing that really is interesting to me is that he dealt with the ins and outs of "chasing" higher recruits through the 2014-15 season. And to a certain extent through Tyus Battle. Could it have been the Quade Green situation changed his view? Could it be that the Fine situation coupled with the NCAA investigation took more out of him as a person than he cared to lead on? Could it be that he didn't feel comfortable "toeing the line" anymore with high profile recruits because he couldn't afford to be sanctioned again by the NCAA?

Who knows the truth. All I know is the longer he stays and the less he wins, the worse it is for him and for the rest of the program/University. For those reasons, and those alone, he needs to go as soon as humanly possible. Because he isn't winning more games the longer this goes on. No matter how much he thinks he is.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this more unfortunately - slow day at work... it's so obvious to most (at least on this board) that Jim's stubbornness and perhaps old age is getting in his way. I firmly believe he won't try changing things up on D because he doesn't want to look like he's caving in to outside voices. This clearly matters to him or he wouldn't have said what he did about Virginia as well as the many other comments he's made about zone over the past few years when defending it.

Jim views the zone as his way, which has led to many years of great success. And he's right about that. However, he's made it so personal, at least it appears from the outside. This is what is so incredibly frustrating. Syracuse is the 2-3 zone in Jim's mind. Moving away from the zone threatens Jim's ego.

Oak Island show and hope they find something more than a rusted nail and speculate what it was for 45 minutes.

That show is the worst. Loved season 1. But I realized pretty quickly that:
1) They will NEVER find anything
2) If on the outside chance they ever did find something it would be worldwide headline news,and we'd get plenty of information on it via regular news a year before the next season aired.

It made me feel like a dupe, so I stopped watching. I'm almost at the same point with watching Orange games ;-)

100% correct.

He clearly wanted a 2nd ring. And the resurgence of the program between 2009 and 2014 was remarkable. 2010 and 2012 still pains me, those were championship-caliber teams.

We still had great talent into 2016/17-ish. The regular seasons were disappointing but there's no denying that Malachai, Lydon, Gbinije, Cooney, Battle, etc. were all top shelf.

And then... Buddy came and I really believe that JB prioritized getting pliable guys in the program who wouldn't cause him any grief. The fire to win titles was clearly gone.
If JB wants a second ring I’ll be happy to chip in to buy him a Retirement Ring.

JB called out Pitt and said they bought their team. That motivation is going to carry Pitt through and adds another burden for Cuse to fight against.

If there was ever a "blow their barn doors off with heel on throat, no mercy" opportunity, this game will be it for pitt.

In fairness to JB, "his way" has been ridiculously successful. So I do understand his perspective that he knows the game better than any of his critics.

That being said, I contrast what JB has done recently to how I've watched Bill Belichick handle this offseason. Bill tried a very unorthodox approach to offense last season, and it blew up in his face. There was a lot of talk from Pats fans about stubbornness, arrogance, etc. There were times it was eerily remeniscient to the commentary here.

But... within a week of the season ending, Bill took complete ownership of the situation, publicly acknowledged that what he tried didn't work, and made substantial changes to his staff to address those shortcomings. Who knows if next season will see improvement, but it won't be from a lack of trying.

I think we'd all go a lot easier on JB if we saw any sign that he was admitting that there have been failures and he was genuinely trying to alter his approach. But he really hasn't. It's very disappointing.
Good post, per usual, Scooch.

I agree, it should be easy to understand how someone with the nearly unprecedented success JB has had over his 47 career becomes so entrenched in their beliefs. It's natural human nature. The more difficult perspective for many to wrap their heads around is how can JB be so thin skined given all that success. It is incongruent. Belichick is obviously more conmfortable with his self worth. For JB to acknowledge that his way is no longer working would tear at the thing he fears the most.

That doesn't make JB a bad person (I'm not suggesting you think that). You can't help the way you feel. I do not mean to imply that this an excuse for JB's behavior. But, it does help to explain why acts this way. Even though a person can't help the way they feel, you can learn to control how you react to those feelings. That's the disappoionting part for me in watching JB struggle.

Run it back!
im embarrassed for everyone involved if true. Including these radio guys for not pushing back against the obvious.

“Running it back“ and “building a team” doesn’t happen in 2023. Especially when the team your running back isn’t going to make the postseason. This isn’t 1995.