"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today

I read the first page, that's all I could do. JB is rationalizing his burning down of the empire he built. He can't believe his own crap at this point.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so sorry if I'm repeating what has been said.

Personally, I'd cut the assistants some slack when it comes to recruiting.

You're an SU assistant and your head coach repeatedly criticizes his players (by name) in post-game press conferences...all over youtube.

He occasionally makes outrageous public statements.

People mention zone being a detriment to our recruiting. Seems likely.

He's older than methuselah. The threat that it might be his last year or he would retire before the recruit was a junior has been around for a decade.

He has always exhibited a snarky personality.

If I was a highly regarded recruit I doubt that I'd want to go to SU. I think recruiting basketball players at SU has had some negative weight in recent years. Not the assistant's fault.

Maybe they deserve some flack for practices and pre-game prep?

I have enjoyed JB's wry sarcastic sense of humor over the years, and his general avoidance of coach speak.

– 30 –

I read the first page, that's all I could do. JB is rationalizing his burning down of the empire he built. He can't believe his own crap at this point.
YOU thought we’d suck and we DO suck, so what’s up now!!?!!

That’s basically what he said. SMH, make this stop.

That's what always cracks me up when people here say things like "these guys can't play man". They ALL have played man, likely almost exclusively, for their entire pre-college career.

But when they step foot in Syracuse apparently all of that skill is magically zapped from their body, and they can then only play 2-3 zone with the occasional frantic press.

Scientists should investigate this phenomena. Or maybe the Men in Black.
These players played man in high school! Where they were the best player on the court. Just because Joe Girard played m2m in HS doesn’t mean he could guard anybody in the ACC! They can’t play m2m in the ACC because they’ve not superior athletes. They’re just not!

Sorry, I’ve been talking like I like the 2-3 in a couple of threads. Not true. I’m just frustrated that our team is full of absolutely mediocre players, who can’t play offense or defense and I don’t care what D you play. That’s the reality. It’s really sad.

These players played man in high school! Where they were the best player on the court. Just because Joe Girard played m2m in HS doesn’t mean he could guard anybody in the ACC! They can’t play m2m in the ACC because they’ve not superior athletes. They’re just not!

Sorry, I’ve been talking like I like the 2-3 in a couple of threads. Not true. I’m just frustrated that our team is full of absolutely mediocre players, who can’t play offense or defense and I don’t care what D you play. That’s the reality. It’s really sad.

You act like all these other ACC teams are so good. They’re not.

Mintz and Edwards could play for any of them. Brown and Taylor could play for most of them. Benny would be fine playing man - his issues are on the other end. You’re talking like we’re less athletic than Boston Colleges and the zone is saving us?

I'm in agreement with you that if we had more guys like Mintz on the court, we could make the zone work better than it's looking right now. However, that's the thing - like you say in your post - "it takes time to master it". We no longer have that kind of time with players. We might, just might, be able to get 2 years out of good talent now, but even that's being optimistic.

Therefore, the premise of your argument is flawed. We can't expect guys to spend 3-4 years learning a defense. At this point, Jim won't switch his D because he doesn't want to take a chance that others might have been right. While I believe he's a good person, he often lets his emotions and thin skin rule his actions.
This is very true. Hard to master the zone in today’s portal world.

You act like all these other ACC teams are so good. They’re not.

Mintz and Edwards could play for any of them. Brown and Taylor could play for most of them. Benny would be fine playing man - his issues are on the other end. You’re talking like we’re less athletic than Boston Colleges and the zone is saving us?
No, we’re probably just as athletic as Boston College. In fact. we beat Boston College. See how that works? We lose to UNC etc. We’re mediocre with mediocre players recruited to play a zone defense.

No, we’re probably just as athletic as Boston College. In fact. we beat Boston College. See how that works? We lose to UNC etc. We’re mediocre with mediocre players recruited to play a zone defense.
We wouldn’t be any worse in man than we are in zone.

With a better coach, we’d be a little better.

We wouldn’t be any worse in man than we are in zone.

With a better coach, we’d be a little better.
Yeah. I’m not really arguing in favor of the zone. Just stating the obvious that we lack players. So, I think your point is well taken. Why not at least try something else?

I do believe we’d get abused in m2m, but we’re getting abused in zone, so…

Now, do I think the zone is one of the reasons we lack talent? Absolutely yes.

I mean, all anyone has to do is ask themselves, is Joe Girard one of our best players? If the answer is yes, that’s all you need to know. We’re in a bad place.

Note: I appreciate what Joe is and the work he’s put in as a SU player. He’s having a good year. He’s Orange and I respect that.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so sorry if I'm repeating what has been said.

Personally, I'd cut the assistants some slack when it comes to recruiting.

You're an SU assistant and your head coach repeatedly criticizes his players (by name) in post-game press conferences...all over youtube.

He occasionally makes outrageous public statements.

People mention zone being a detriment to our recruiting. Seems likely.

He's older than methuselah. The threat that it might be his last year or he would retire before the recruit was a junior has been around for a decade.

He has always exhibited a snarky personality.

If I was a highly regarded recruit I doubt that I'd want to go to SU. I think recruiting basketball players at SU has had some negative weight in recent years. Not the assistant's fault.
If you’re an assistant, why would you leave? The fans love you from your playing days, Boeheim won’t fire you, you’re making good money and the local media will never put your feet to the fire. It’s a great gig!

You may not be bringing in great classes, but if you’re ever pressed on it you can just say you’re trying, but Boeheim won’t leave or change his style and the best kids don’t want to play for him so what can you do?

Ummm...ok...

Virginia is currently 21-5 and 27th in AdjD on KenPom

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in AdjD on KenPom

The idea that folks are tired of the zone because of a result of one game is the typical gaslighting we've known to expect the past couple years.
boston college was able to beat virginia playing a dogged man to man D. how you like them apples.

My goodness. He is insane! The narcissism is off the charts.

We are ranked 227 out of 363 in defense giving up 71ppg. We were ranked 314 last season so I guess we should be happy.

As far as 3pt defense whoa….

We are ranked 362 in 3pt attempts allowed and 361 in 3pt FG allowed. Almost dead last. We give them up at a .341 clip which ranks 201 in the nation.

While we are ranking I seen offensive rebounds given up. We give up 12.6 a game which ranks us at 356. Almost dead last again.

Jim just stop! Nobody believes you!
i was in agreement with everything you said until the last line. There are plenty of people who believe him.

The problem with the "switch to man" and "zone needs to go" crowd is that it's not the zone itself that is the problem it's the personnel. Last year the combination of JGIII, Buddy, Jimmy, and Cole Swider sucked defensively and would have sucked just as much playing man to man.

This year the issue is inexperience. The zone is at it's best when it's being played by players with lots of experience in it. Tough to have a good zone with 4 freshmen playing major minutes. The more you play the zone the better you get at it.

Syracuse zone used to be great because we recruited long athletic wing players who stuck around for the 3-4 years it takes to master it. If this same team returns intact next year the zone will be good.

Also the whole "the game has changed the zone is obsolete" argument is B.S. The zone was great two years ago in the tourney and was great during the Tyus Battle years. All of the major changes to basketball (more emphasis on the long ball) had already happened by then.
this is great. you say that the zone being obsolete is bs because there were two tournament games one year where teams missed alot of shots against it. BRILLIANT.

The only thing that will have an impact on what happens is if we check out . If we collectively do that, they will begrudgingly do something

I love that he just throws gasoline on the fire of this mess every single week like clock work. It's really like a real-time scientific study on just how much a legacy coach can get away with before literally anything is done by the administration publicly.

Is he trashing players to the media and never taking any blame?
Is he getting in an argument with a student reporter asking a fair question?
Is he making wild accusations about NIL towards other ACC teams?
Is he gaslighting about one of the top teams and coach in the country losing a single game?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO SEE WHAT WATERS HE WADES INTO!

Dude has two probations, one blown up transition, a number of other things on top of getting to coach his two kids to a sub-.500 record last year.

Can he please just keep it together.
That's a good summary of the negatives.

There's a world of diference between having a bad game and having a bad or ineffective system..
Especially at UVA.

Tony Bennett is probably the best coach in the country now that Jay Wright is out.
He rarely gets 5 stars.
He wins with guys who want to win and buy into his system.

Key word there is "win."
He wins with his system.
And if it didn't work any more he'd probably find a way to fix it.
Not deny the problem.

I love that he just throws gasoline on the fire of this mess every single week like clock work. It's really like a real-time scientific study on just how much a legacy coach can get away with before literally anything is done by the administration publicly.

Is he trashing players to the media and never taking any blame?
Is he getting in an argument with a student reporter asking a fair question?
Is he making wild accusations about NIL towards other ACC teams?
Is he gaslighting about one of the top teams and coach in the country losing a single game?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO SEE WHAT WATERS HE WADES INTO!

Dude has two probations, one blown up transition, a number of other things on top of getting to coach his two kids to a sub-.500 record last year.

Can he please just keep it together.

NoBoDys goNnA bE TaLKinG aBoUT thIs in a WEeK!!

That's a good summary of the negatives.

There's a world of diference between having a bad game and having a bad or ineffective system..
Especially at UVA.

Tony Bennett is probably the best coach in the country now that Jay Wright is out.
He rarely gets 5 stars.
He wins with guys who want to win and buy into his system.

Key word there is "win."
He wins with his system.
And if it didn't work any more he'd probably find a way to fix it.
Not deny the problem.

JB literally called him the best coach in the country - I believe last year.

It's nuts.

I've said it before, but at a certain point JB stopped driving to win championships, and became content with the idea that a good year meant making the tournament and making a little run.

The problem he didn't foresee, is that the effort required to make the tournament and go on a run is the same effort needed to win championships.

He got content. He might have gotten lazy. He certainly at least either doesn't have or isn't willing to commit the energy he once did.

I've said it before, but at a certain point JB stopped driving to win championships, and became content with the idea that a good year meant making the tournament and making a little run.

The problem he didn't foresee, is that the effort required to make the tournament and go on a run is the same effort needed to win championships.

He got content. He might have gotten lazy. He certainly at least either doesn't have or isn't willing to commit the energy he once did.
yup

yup

yup

Ummm...ok...

Virginia is currently 21-5 and 27th in AdjD on KenPom

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in AdjD on KenPom

The idea that folks are tired of the zone because of a result of one game is the typical gaslighting we've known to expect the past couple years.
Whatever makes him feel good at night. What.