"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today | Syracusefan.com

"Virginia lost by 15 points at Boston College. Nobody asked Tony Bennett to play zone, because that's their defense." - JB, today

djcon57

Living Legend

Ummm...ok...

Virginia is currently 21-5 and 27th in AdjD on KenPom

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in AdjD on KenPom

The idea that folks are tired of the zone because of a result of one game is the typical gaslighting we've known to expect the past couple years.

Ummm...ok...

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in Adj on KenPom

The idea that folks are tired of the zone because of a result of one game is the typical gaslighting we've known to expect the past couple years.

This is self-delusion. No one else is paying attention anymore.

200.gif

Ummm...ok...

Syracuse is currently 16-12 and 158th in AdjD on KenPom

I love that he just throws gasoline on the fire of this mess every single week like clock work. It's really like a real-time scientific study on just how much a legacy coach can get away with before literally anything is done by the administration publicly.

Is he trashing players to the media and never taking any blame?
Is he getting in an argument with a student reporter asking a fair question?
Is he making wild accusations about NIL towards other ACC teams?
Is he gaslighting about one of the top teams and coach in the country losing a single game?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO SEE WHAT WATERS HE WADES INTO!

Dude has two probations, one blown up transition, a number of other things on top of getting to coach his two kids to a sub-.500 record last year.

Can he please just keep it together.

What the hell is he even talking about?

"We're a zone team", as if that's something we were born with.

Nine years since we've been ranked after January 1st but, you know, we just do what we do. I'm sure it'll get better someday.

I'll echo what a lot of folks in this thread have said. The issue isn't that Boeheim thinks his defenses and UVA's have performed comparably well and that there’s some kind of double standard. He's not stupid. He knows anyone can look this stuff up. Or at least I hope so.

Rather, the issue is that large swaths of the fanbase will continue to eat his slop up for as long as he's willing to shovel it, and the local media doesn't have the option to push back without sacrificing the access that is their lifeblood.

Last edited:
I do know one thing, anyone who doesn’t play zone against BC is a little nuts. It’s the number one reason we‘ve beat them nine games in a row. It’s the only reason we beat NCState too. They would crush us if we played man. There has to be a happy medium and the ability to mix things up. 100% of anything is not always smart.

What the hell is he even talking about?

"We're a zone team", as if that's something we were born with.

Nine years since we've been ranked after January 1st but, you know, we just do what we do. I'm sure it'll get better someday.
Like these kids only played zone in High School and thats why he recruited them, lol

My goodness. He is insane! The narcissism is off the charts.

We are ranked 227 out of 363 in defense giving up 71ppg. We were ranked 314 last season so I guess we should be happy.

As far as 3pt defense whoa….

We are ranked 362 in 3pt attempts allowed and 361 in 3pt FG allowed. Almost dead last. We give them up at a .341 clip which ranks 201 in the nation.

While we are ranking I seen offensive rebounds given up. We give up 12.6 a game which ranks us at 356. Almost dead last again.

Jim just stop! Nobody believes you!

Like these kids only played zone in High School and thats why he recruited them, lol
That's what always cracks me up when people here say things like "these guys can't play man". They ALL have played man, likely almost exclusively, for their entire pre-college career.

But when they step foot in Syracuse apparently all of that skill is magically zapped from their body, and they can then only play 2-3 zone with the occasional frantic press.

Scientists should investigate this phenomena. Or maybe the Men in Black.

Quite frankly, Jim, I don’t care if you play box and one, triangle and two, line and three, double the ball every time down court, it matters not one iota to me.

Just win games. We haven’t done it enough for damn near a decade. The “close but no cigar” narrative he put out there is now out the window with the last two blowouts. So at what point can he admit we aren’t good? Middle of the pack defensive teams aren’t good, either, there buddy.