Virginia Tech Postgame Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech Postgame Thoughts

Well crap I predicted a total of 18 wins in the Iggys

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

The game boils down to Mintz & a pretty good TO by Red which changed our energy level big time.

Brown was abused & Cope almost jellied a defeat from a sure victory.

Yes, Mintz had a really good game. Created a lot more than usual, not complaining to the refs too much.

When Brown was getting lit up in the low post by Kidd, I was kind of hoping (around 7 minutes left) that he would throw Carey in there just to knock Kidd off the low block, and allow Maliq to compose himself.

Yep, Cope with a couple spin cycles too many. You don't need to make every reverse layup into an audition for SportsCenter. But he makes so many plays for us.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but is it possible for us to get the #4 seed in the ACCT if we win the next two?

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but is it possible for us to get the #4 seed in the ACCT if we win the next two?
If Virginia loses out and NC State and Florida state both drop 1

Edit: I was wrong! We don’t get the breaker with Clemson…

Last edited:
I like seeing the ball moving more on offense. Defense is still not great, but appears to be more effort, and there were some nice defensive plays.
Brown knows he needs to stay in the game, so think he does play soft early to make sure of that.

Still gave up too many points but autry did a much better job of managing the second half. Got deep in the clock on most sets, preserved energy and shortened the number of possessions.

allowed themselves to get sped up a couple of times, but for the most part kept it under control

Big time win by the boys, for all the talk about Red's offense we're putting up points in bunches. Really awesome growth moment to see the intensity ratchet up when VT cut the lead to 7 and thought it was going to be another sweat.

We're in position to be in position, can't ask for much more. Let's go!

If anyone didn’t think this team wasn’t going to make us nervous in the second half I guess you haven’t been watching.
-with the exception of two absurd turnovers. Judah was absolutely incredible tonight. They could not stay in front of him. He didn’t force any shots maybe because he didn’t have to. He won the game for us in many ways and this is the type of performance I love to see from him. if he plays like this, he will have a chance of getting drafted, and maybe not even late in the second round.
-good to see Cuffe give us some really solid minutes. I think people have been too tough on him. He hasn’t played basketball and been healthy in over a year. But his athleticism and basketball skills are there and are emerging. His stroke is rusty given that he doesn’t play a lot of minutes, but you can see that he can shoot. I’m confident he will be a very valuable member of our rotation for two or three years.
-another strong effort by Justin Taylor. You can see him getting back on track with each possession. As Red made clear, the kid does not take a play off. I was very surprised red did not go back to him when bell was not shooting well, and was getting toasted on defense.
-Maliq was absolutely abused in the low post tonight. Like I said in the game thread, he played like he was in foul trouble even though he wasn’t. I’m glad we have an extra day before Louisville because he did look tired.
-when Quadir can play 23 minutes and have only one turnover he can be really good. But again his defense in the second half was awful.
-i’m scared to death of the Louisville game, but Red has time to get them hopefully focused for that one. I know the would’ve should’ve game can go both ways but if we had taken care of business against Boston College and Georgia Tech, we would be 21 and 8 and basically playing for seed. But we are still alive.

Last edited:
Yep, Cope with a couple spin cycles too many. You don't need to make every reverse layup into an audition for SportsCenter. But he makes so many plays for us.
Some people might remember that Sherm used to airmail one into the 2nd row once in a while. Just think about all those "auditions" that next year are just part of his repertoire and he finishes them. He's is so fun to watch. He needs a shooter and a baseline slasher to dish to to realize his potential.

I like seeing the ball moving more on offense. Defense is still not great, but appears to be more effort, and there were some nice defensive plays.
Brown knows he needs to stay in the game, so think he does play soft early to make sure of that.

One thing I've noticed is that these last 2 or 3 games, there is MUCH more motion without the ball, cuts through the lane, and screens below the foul line on the wings or down low. A little scolding on social media from Draymond Green has kicked our coaches into a higher gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom