Wagner | Syracusefan.com

Wagner

BlackKnight76

All American
Hearing they are our last game, and it might be that 9/14 slot that Clemson thought they had.

230px-RichardWagner.jpg

Hearing they are our last game, and it might be that 9/14 slot that Clemson thought they had.
Awesome :bang:
I guess the good news is we should be at least 2-2 after 4 weeks.

Speaking of Wagner: A or B?

A.
Lindsay-Wagner-585880-2-402.jpg

B.
jill_wagner_1920_1200_jun182009.jpg

Awesome :bang:
I guess the good news is we should be at least 2-2 after 4 weeks.

Speaking of Wagner: A or B?

A.
Lindsay-Wagner-585880-2-402.jpg

B.
jill_wagner_1920_1200_jun182009.jpg
Mark, I am disappointed in the question. I love Jill Wagner

Good move getting Wagner and not ODU... Feasible to be 3-1 after 4 next season if Wagner home opener

Hey, we got one more year to milk the BCS for all that it's worth. A win against Wagner in 2013-2014 counts.

Where do they move Clempsum if true ?

it can be moved but it probably made the acc reconfigure the schedule. i could see clemson playing florida state 9/14 instaid of the rumored 9/28 on the tigernet schedule

it can be moved but it probably made the acc reconfigure the schedule. i could see clemson playing florida state 9/14 instaid of the rumored 9/28 on the tigernet schedule

Hence why we are 'losing friends'?

Wait...does a win over Wagner count towards bowl eligibility? The last I heard, Wagner's league (NEC) allows football teams to offer a maximum of 40 scholarships...and an FCS team has to offer at least 56 to count towards bowl eligibility.

Unless something's changed in the last couple years, they don't count...and SU will have to win six of the remaining eleven games.

This is good news. This team does not need a 3 game stretch of northwestern, penn state and clemson. Wagner on 9/14 suits me just fine.

Not to mention, and I can't stress this enough, I'm heading to Disney on 9/14 so I've been quietly screaming (inside voice) for no Clemson on that day. FCS is perrrrfect.

Not to mention, and I can't stress this enough, I'm heading to Disney on 9/14 so I've been quietly screaming (inside voice) for no Clemson on that day. FCS is perrrrfect.
I agree FCS is perfect but only if Wagner has more than 57 players on scholarship. I believe that is what it takes for them to count as a bowl eligible win for us. If not this is a terrible game to play and fans will be complaining about it the entire season.

Count me as sickened by playing Wagner. Why would you schedule a game against a team that if you beat, you don't get credit for a win as to bowl eligibility? FAU played them last year in September and didn't get credit due to the league Wagner is in. Dr. Gross is a reasonably intelligent person. He had to know that, right? Play Baylor or anyone else. If you lose, its no worse than beating Wagner because again a Wagner win doesn't count toward bowl eligibility anyway. If you win over Baylor, you look really good. I'm not saying I want to play Baylor. There are a ton of FCS teams I'd rather play that we would be pretty much guaranteed a win and it would count toward bowl eligibility. Just not Wagner!!!!!

The NCAA Rule:
18.7.2.2.1 Exception—Football Championship Subdivision Opponent.
[FBS] Each year, a Football Bowl Subdivision institution may count one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a “deserving team,” provided the opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in football during a rolling two-year period. (Adopted: 10/28/97 effective 8/1/98, Revised: 4/28/05, 12/15/06, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 7/30/10)

That means you have to give 57 scholarships for the game to count toward bowl eligibility. Wagner gives 40. There was some talk by FAU that Wagner met the requirement even though they have only 40 scholarships because they grant other aid besides football scholarships that also count toward the magic 57 number. As I recall, though, it didn't work out in FAU's favor and hence, won't in SU's either.

Villanova has an opening. And they give out the full allotment of scholarships. Play them!

The worst thing we could do is what we did last year. Schedule a BCS team on the road with no home game in return.

The second worse thing would be to schedule an excellent FCS team, filled with NYS players bitter they were not offered by Syracuse, all with an axe to grind. Where a win doesn't count for bowl eligibility.

Yes, I would much rather play Nova, another excellent team, than Wagner. This is what happens when you procrastinate...you get the worst choices imaginable each year.

Not good.

The worst thing we could do is what we did last year. Schedule a BCS team on the road with no home game in return.

The second worse thing would be to schedule an excellent FCS team, filled with NYS players bitter they were not offered by Syracuse, all with an axe to grind. Where a win doesn't count for bowl eligibility.

Yes, I would much rather play Nova, another excellent team, than Wagner. This is what happens when you procrastinate...you get the worst choices imaginable each year.

Not good.
Tom two questions for you please. First you are as close as anyone on this board to the program what is the problem with scheduling? Nothing really adds up. Second, will a win against Wagner count towards a bowl? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom