Wake Forest Game Day Thread | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Game Day Thread

Kudos to Mahoney for stepping up and playing pretty well when we needed him...he did great in the first half but WF made good adjustments at halftime, on both sides of the ball. They won the second half by more than we won the first half. Our defense just couldn't stop them most of the game. Wolford played great and though they lost some players this week, their depth is significant. Our defense's only really bad game and it came at the wrong time. We can still win our last two, but the team's confidence isn't going to be helped by this loss nor playing in Louisville. We need to respond to this loss with a big effort and hope for the best...

Kudos to Mahoney for stepping up and playing pretty well when we needed him...he did great in the first half but WF made good adjustments at halftime, on both sides of the ball. They won the second half by more than we won the first half. Our defense just couldn't stop them most of the game. Wolford played great and though they lost some players this week, their depth is significant. Our defense's only really bad game and it came at the wrong time. We can still win our last two, but the team's confidence isn't going to be helped by this loss nor playing in Louisville. We need to respond to this loss with a big effort and hope for the best...

Glass half full?

We lose at L’ville by 28. And I hope I’m off by 29 but doubt it.

Our base defense is too complicated and too reliant on above average pass rushers and safeties to be consistently successful. It will not work with the talent we have now or the talent we can reasonably attract in the next few years. It is also very difficult to adjust to offensive changes mid game, since the roles are so defined.

If Ward insists of trying to keep this scheme in place, we are going to consistently give up big yardage. Unless we get very lucky and find another Freeney or Chandler Jones soon.

Losses like this probably erases all the good the Clemson win did. Very disappointed.

Ya I’m about set hearing about the Clemson win. All the momentum we had from that win is now gone. Did not capitalize at all. Pretty disappointing actually.

We need Dungey back. 43 points looks good on the scoreboard, but there were far too many 1 hoppers and passes around the ankles. Dungey is the heart and soul of the team.

Glass half full?

We lose at L’ville by 28. And I hope I’m off by 29 but doubt it.
It's a tad too quick for me to prognosticate about Louisville but think Mahoney played well enough to win. I am the optimistic sort so won't easily predict losses, and especially avoid predictions on days we win or lose dramatically. We got beaten in the 4th quarter 24-0 and think that reflects Wake Forest more than it does SU. Wake wanted to win more than we did. It happens...

Wake wanted to win more than we did. It happens...

A team wanting to win more than the Orange SHOULDN'T happen. These seniors have been through a tough time. They don't need more motivation. This was a preparation issue. Our defense was unprepared. And it showed.

A team wanting to win more than the Orange SHOULDN'T happen. These seniors have been through a tough time. They don't need more motivation. This was a preparation issue. Our defense was unprepared. And it showed.
Preparation was the issue in the 1st quarter, but by the 4th quarter it's about who wants to win more and who executes. I do think that WF's coaches made adjustments that our coaches couldn't or didn't match, offensively and defensively. Though Mahoney played well in the first half, Wake forced changes to his game in the second half that made him less effective. Wolford, their skill players, and their offensive line took over the game in the 4th quarter and our offense sputtered. They won the 4th quarter 24-0. All that's left to do now is to congratulate them on becoming bowl eligible and to start getting ready for Louisville. There are two games left and both are now must wins.

Did you expect that the back up qb should get 65 pts?

This is where you can’t see the big picture. Mahoney was awful in the 2nd half. 3 points. think like 80 yards passing. His poor play couldn’t sustain a drive and kept putting the defense back on the field. While an admirable effort 33-60 and two picks is bad.

I’m sorry. The loss is on the defense completely. Totally and absolutely.

Just like last week you tried to pin the loss solely on one play in the first half. Nope. The defense was bad in the second half and the offense did nothing to help. In fact the defense almost outscored them it was 3-2. The offense was putrid.

Just like last week you tried to pin the loss solely on one play in the first half. Nope. The defense was bad in the second half and the offense did nothing to help. In fact the defense almost outscored them it was 3-2. The offense was putrid.

Yep. I was right last week too.

Sad that some can't see what's happening. We have been held up by a great scheme. With warriors like Eric, Ish, Erv, Zaire, Bennett. Among others.

We are who we are right now. Look how much bigger a team like Wake was than us. Somehow, Dino has us contending. Scoop almost got ran down by a kicker. Their TE looked like Gronk out there.

We need patience after starting this century with futility. It sucks, but this is the coach to make us relevant again. If some can't envision the bright future, then so be it. I don't blame you. I'm always here if you wanna give your tickets up.

Sad that some can't see what's happening. We have been held up by a great scheme. With warriors like Eric, Ish, Erv, Zaire, Bennett. Among others.

We are who we are right now. Look how much bigger a team like Wake was than us. Somehow, Dino has us contending. Scoop almost got ran down by a kicker. Their TE looked like Gronk out there.

We need patience after starting this century with futility. It sucks, but this is the coach to make us relevant again. If some can't envision the bright future, then so be it. I don't blame you. I'm always here if you wanna give your tickets up.

If you’re right, we’ll see it next year. And I hope you are. For the rest of this year, we’ll continue to be frustrated.

If you’re right, we’ll see it next year. And I hope you are. For the rest of this year, we’ll continue to be frustrated.

Look at Miami. It took a while, and they are in a breeding ground of talent.

Hate to disappoint, but next year isn't going to be some renaissance. We should make a bowl game, but this is just the beginning. Fans cannot give up, or we'll be having this conversation until our death.

You’re right. Babers has marginal vets and greenhorns playing at their peaks so he’s damed either way.

wake's TE serigne is a stud. not sure where he's projected in the draft but really solid.

Based on his celebrating today, I'd say he's probably the number one pick in the draft.

I remember the good ol' days when Dyshawn Davis knocked a freshman QB named Wolford out of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom