Wake Forest Game Thread... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Game Thread...

Come on, it's the well planned dribble-drive offense.

It’s a great offense when you’ve got studs that have b-ball IQ. Seriously, nobody would’ve gotten more out of Melo, Owens, Pearl, Sherm, DC, Wallace, Moten, Flynn, etc. than Boeheim did.

But when your best players aren’t on that level and you’ve really only got a couple guys who can make things happen and are very limited as far as shooters/inside scorers...the offense is going to be a very hard watch. Though there’s probably not a lot of offenses out there who could make this group look great. We don’t have the players.

Lots of standing around. Lots of forced runners/bad shots. Unfortunate we can’t score more despite getting 18pts from the FT line. I just don’t get what is going on or is supposed to be going on when Frank or Tyus just pound the ball into the ground stationary five feet behind the 3pt line while nobody is moving. It’s like 5-7 seconds routinely. Either they should play downhill or something else is supposed to be happening. Disappointing performance. Battle’s shot selection and continued poor closeouts/awareness on 3s is problematic.

I don't think they are standing around as much as you think. when its frank with the ball and he's standing there, he is directing traffic and people are moving someplace based upon the play called. that includes something as simple as someone setting a screen for frank or the shooter.

Honestly, i think they just want to kill time. We want a lower scoring game.

I mean maybe if they create some separation and start to do that but trailing or a seesaw game the offense just stalls out or they waste so much time. Maddening. Love the effort but the TOs and bad shots are killers.

I mean maybe if they create some separation and start to do that but trailing or a seesaw game the offense just stalls out or they waste so much time. Maddening. Love the effort but the TOs and bad shots are killers.
Well, there is little doubt that we gave this game away. The killer to me was battle. he not only played badly but he played dumb. You can't shove off on his fourth foul.

Too bad we didn't get this W. It's going to be very hard to get ACC road wins and this was there to be had. Fatigue really hurt us the last 4-5 minutes of this game. I don't know how we get through this season playing just 6 guys. Can any walk on give 3 minutes without killing us...like Pitino was able to do at UL sometimes?

I don't think they are standing around as much as you think. when its frank with the ball and he's standing there, he is directing traffic and people are moving someplace based upon the play called. that includes something as simple as someone setting a screen for frank or the shooter.

I have two eyes and watch the games, thanks. I know the times a screen is coming or happening. Too many times NOTHING is happening prior to that or too much time is wasted setting SOMETHING up, IMO. Literally stalling out. It happens regularly.

And Battle.

This forgone conclusion pro stuff makes zero sense to me. I don’t see him as a better pro prospect at this point than Moten - who went 2nd round and stuck around 3-4 years.

I mean...if he’s set on playing pro basketball in some form for the next 10 years in some form, and wants to get it started now...ok? Hope he has a plan for after though. He’s good, but I don’t see him as a first rounder or a lock to stick right now.

It’s a great offense when you’ve got studs that have b-ball IQ. Seriously, nobody would’ve gotten more out of Melo, Owens, Pearl, Sherm, DC, Wallace, Moten, Flynn, etc. than Boeheim did.

But when your best players aren’t on that level and you’ve really only got a couple guys who can make things happen and are very limited as far as shooters/inside scorers...the offense is going to be a very hard watch. Though there’s probably not a lot of offenses out there who could make this group look great. We don’t have the players.

Fair point. We can't shoot.

Well, we can.

We can't score.

people need to calm down, we knew this year would be up and down. it was an ugly loss, but it doesn't make or break anything and there should be some good wins and probably some more weird losses.
I hear you, but again...
how is it an "ugly" loss as road underdogs?
did we play well? of course not but geez it's like people are under the impression that: A) acc road games are no big deal and B) our team was suddenly some juggernaut because we beat a listless (and tiny) Va.Tech at home

Well, there is little doubt that we gave this game away. The killer to me was battle. he not only played badly but he played dumb. You can't shove off on his fourth foul.

Yup. He makes some terrible decisions. Trying to go baseline on that play mid-late 2H when there was no room was bad too.

Last edited:
Why do transfers have to sit out a year? Everyone can go pro or “pro” whenever they want. Coaches can leave and coach the next season wherever they want. The old college hoops model is dead and gone. Who really cares? Let the kids move around if they want. Hughes should be on the court now. Sick of outdated stupid rules with no point.

Last edited:
This forgone conclusion pro stuff makes zero sense to me. I don’t see him as a better pro prospect at this point than Moten - who went 2nd round and stuck around 3-4 years.

I mean...if he’s set on playing pro basketball in some form for the next 10 years in some form, and wants to get it started now...ok? Hope he has a plan for after though. He’s good, but I don’t see him as a first rounder or a lock to stick right now.
I don’t see him as a second rounder right now.

His game is remarkably similar to Brandon Triche except I think Triche played with better players and created for others a lot better. Strong, but not overly quick with a streaky 3 point shot.

His game is remarkably similar to Brandon Triche except I think Triche played with better players and created for others a lot better. Strong, but not overly quick with a streaky 3 point shot.

Agreed, though he’s got a much better mid range game than Triche.

The NBA circa 2004 probably would’ve been a lot higher on Battle. I still think he can make it, but he’s gotta shoot the 3 better...which I think he would on a different team. Like last year.

I have two eyes and watch the games, thanks. I know the times a screen is coming or happening. Too many times NOTHING is happening prior to that or too much time is wasted setting SOMETHING up, IMO. Literally stalling out. It happens regularly.

nothing happening isn't as often as you might see.

I hear you, but again...
how is it an "ugly" loss as road underdogs?
did we play well? of course not but geez it's like people are under the impression that: A) acc road games are no big deal and B) our team was suddenly some juggernaut because we beat a listless (and tiny) Va.Tech at home
I called it ugly because we led most of the second half and it was a very winnable game. I don't care that we were 1 point underdogs, their leading scorer was out and ours played like crap. it just felt like a missed opportunity for a team that doesn't have a lot of wiggle room if they want to make the tourney. our best players are more talented than these mid-level teams, but we have no depth. it will be a problem all year.

Probation sucks. NCAA can suck it. I hope we win another chip and Jimmy takes a giant dump right on one of the gaudy NCAA logos that’s plastered all over every soulless NCAA tourney court.

our best players are more talented than these mid-level teams
huh? they have 3, probably 4 better shooters than us - and our 1 legit shooter had a dreadful night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom