Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts

I expect the same starting line-up. My concern is if there aren't some players who don't play the next game.
If that’s the case, it would be hard to roll out the same starting five.

That is sort of what I have but I don't have McLeod

PG - Portal - Q - JJ
SG - JJ - Moore - Q
SF - Portal - Westry - Q
PF - Freeman - Brown
C - Portal - Brown

The portal PG and SG need to be able to shoot and the center better be a big body that can be physical and rebound.

At the end of year exit interviews, after Maliq has continuously shown he's our best player in practical terms this year and not complaining about playing out of position while *CHRIS BELL AND JUSTIN TAYLOR* also start and Maliq asks what position he is starting at next year... and Red says, "you're not"... what do you think happens?

Westry has been hurt two years in a row. JJ is re-building his shot and his confidence due to injury. Freeman (who I do think will start) hasn't played one minute of college ball. Q, while I love him, is very hit or miss at times. And you are going to roll into that conversation telling Maliq he's a bench guy?

At the end of year exit interviews, after Maliq has continuously shown he's our best player in practical terms this year and not complaining about playing out of position while *CHRIS BELL AND JUSTIN TAYLOR* also start and Maliq asks what position he is starting at next year... and Red says, "you're not"... what do you think happens?

Westry has been hurt two years in a row. JJ is re-building his shot and his confidence due to injury. Freeman (who I do think will start) hasn't played one minute of college ball. Q, while I love him, is very hit or miss at times. And you are going to roll into that conversation telling Maliq he's a bench guy?

Hard Truths -----

Maliq brown averages 9 points and 7 you guys act like being the best player on a below-average team means something. He is a hustle player who can't shoot from deep and can't create his own shot. Does he have room on this team? Sure as a role player

My question to Maliq do you want to win or do you want to start? His answer decides his future with Syracuse.

Again Maliq can't be the starting center and Freeman more than likely will be starting. So where does Maliq start? There is nobody on this roster who is above being recruited over. We need a serious influx of talent in the worst way if Red wants to win at the level we were used to and keep his job.

Hard Truths -----

Maliq brown averages 9 points and 7 you guys act like being the best player on a below-average team means something. He is a hustle player who can't shoot from deep and can't create his own shot. Does he have room on this team? Sure as a role player

My question to Maliq do you want to win or do you want to start? His answer decides his future with Syracuse.

Again Maliq can't be the starting center and Freeman more than likely will be starting. So where does Maliq start? There is nobody on this roster who is above being recruited over. We need a serious influx of talent in the worst way if Red wants to win at the level we were used to and keep his job.
Maliq would be picked up in the portal in 5 seconds if we told him he’s a bench guy. He will be ALL ACC next season. He’s top 10-20 in a ton of ACC categories. He’s not coming off the bench.

Perhaps, it was simply ADJW's hiring prowess? He was quoted at the time that it was his belief that Autry was the best candidate out there. Take it for what it's worth.

“Adrian earned this,” Wildhack said Friday. “Adrian’s not here because he’s an alum, because he played here, because he’s an associate coach here. He’s here because I believe he’s the best candidate to lead this program and sustain the success that coach Boeheim has established over 47 years.”

I hope he supports him financially like he appears to be supporting Fran and lets him bring in some more staff.
Some new eyes for talent and a big man coach would be nice.

Maliq and Freeman could be a lethal combination. They are both excellent passers and will feed off each other.

I hope he supports him financially like he appears to be supporting Fran and lets him bring in some more staff.
Some new eyes for talent and a big man coach would be nice.

One note on this -- Fran demands that the program is supported financially. Unequivocally without apology.

Last edited:
Start them both. Freeman can shoot it some, he doesn't have to be Dell Curry.

I guess it can work but the portal PG would have to be a knockdown shooter and then we would be counting on Freeman to hit 35+% . Would also be nice if the center can hit jumpers.

Portal PG
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal C

I guess it can work but the portal PG would have to be a knockdown shooter and then we would be counting on Freeman to hit 35+% . Would also be nice if the center can hit jumpers.

Portal PG
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal C
I would bet real money that Maliq will improve his 3 percentage by five points minimum next season. He's no Pittsnoggle, but his mechanics are good and his FT percentage is good as well.

As for the portal, 3 and D guys are much more prevalent than either centers or point guards. And one top-10 NIL guy is about all we can afford right now.

I see two options for QC next season:

1. Autry tells him to be ready to run the point for 30 MPG and spend the summer learning to initiate offense while maintaining his ability to drive. I think he could do it, but could understand if others disagree. But it would free up a scholly to use on a 3-and-D guy, wing slasher or true big.

2. Get a portal PG and tell Q to put on 15 pounds and be ready to be the 3-and-D guy and slash some as well. Think Kevin McCullar on Kansas - He had never shot better than 31% from deep in four seasons but is now at 37% with excellent perimeter defense.
Copeland a 3 and D guy?

Maliq would be picked up in the portal in 5 seconds if we told him he’s a bench guy. He will be ALL ACC next season. He’s top 10-20 in a ton of ACC categories. He’s not coming off the bench.
hes not a starting center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom