Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts

Get a portal PG
boopie was a 2023 central Michigan transfer . how do you think that impacted wake ?
if you want a talent influx from the portal you don't promise minutes to players and you don't get destroyed on your few televised games. these too frequent beat downs are not an attractive selling point

Last edited:
I think Red is learning, but not sure if it's quickly enough for what's needed in order for us to be a top-5 ACC team. This offseason should tell us a lot. This is only Hubert Davis's third season at UNC but there have already been a couple occasions where it's been a legitimate question if he's cut out for it. Obviously UNC enjoys some advantages we don't, and I'm not saying we'll be a top-5 team in two years, but it could click. Red's not leaving before then anyway.

It's obvious that some guys need to be flushed out of the program (for various reasons) while others have shown that they can be part of good-to-great teams.
Legitimate questions if he's cut out for it? You mean like he was runner up in the tournament in year 1? Even last year when they missed the tournament they still won 20 games and their largest margin of defeat was 12 AND he had the cojones to boot a problem player in Caleb Love to the curb. There is zero use in comparing Hubert Davis to red, they arent even in the same universe

Perhaps, it was simply ADJW's hiring prowess? He was quoted at the time that it was his belief that Autry was the best candidate out there. Take it for what it's worth.

“Adrian earned this,” Wildhack said Friday. “Adrian’s not here because he’s an alum, because he played here, because he’s an associate coach here. He’s here because I believe he’s the best candidate to lead this program and sustain the success that coach Boeheim has established over 47 years.”

Yes, I remember that quote and I hope Adrian succeeds, I want to see that.

However, Saturday night and some of the things we all saw did not look good. And for the first time, some doubt creeped in with me, whether he will be able to turn it around and get back to Tournament level teams.

It might have started the clock on his tenure, how does this year finish? can you make the dance next year? If ugly and and no, I dont know if he gets a 3rd year. You want to make the dance year 2 to then warrant an extension. Might be hard to go in Year 3 with no results and no extension to help him be on solid ground and help in recruiting.

Yes, I remember that quote and I hope Adrian succeeds, I want to see that.

However, Saturday night and some of the things we all saw did not look good. And for the first time, some doubt creeped in with me, whether he will be able to turn it around and get back to Tournament level teams.

It might have started the clock on his tenure, how does this year finish? can you make the dance next year? If ugly and and no, I dont know if he gets a 3rd year. You want to make the dance year 2 to then warrant an extension. Might be hard to go in Year 3 with no results and no extension to help him be on solid ground and help in recruiting.

One has to tread rather carefully around here. Hence, my "take it for what it's worth" remark.

In order to bring in a PG and a SF, Red needs to tell one, if not two, of JJ, Quadir, and Chance, that they will not be starting next season.

I just don't see where all these necessary moves are going to be made.
If he's afraid to have an honest albeit uncomfortable talk with his players, then he's not the right man to lead this program back.

I see two options for QC next season:

1. Autry tells him to be ready to run the point for 30 MPG and spend the summer learning to initiate offense while maintaining his ability to drive. I think he could do it, but could understand if others disagree. But it would free up a scholly to use on a 3-and-D guy, wing slasher or true big.

2. Get a portal PG and tell Q to put on 15 pounds and be ready to be the 3-and-D guy and slash some as well. Think Kevin McCullar on Kansas - He had never shot better than 31% from deep in four seasons but is now at 37% with excellent perimeter defense.

Copeland's best role is the one he is currently playing. A spark off the bench and a secondary ball handler and playmaker. Not everyone is a starter at the P5 level there is nothing wrong with being the first guy off the bench. I don't believe he can be a 3-and-D player or a lead guard. He is a chaos creator off the bench and brought in to change the flow and energy of the game. That is literally his perfect role, I don't know why we feel the need to make him something he isn't.

Our guard choices for next year are JJ, Copeland, Choppa, Cuffe and maybe Westry.
Among those guys, I would pick the first 2 to start.

We don't know if Westry will ever see the court for us, Judah is gone to wherever he wants to go, and the only way those 2 guys don't start is if Choppa does.

We could get a SF who can score 15 a game from the portal to keep Copeland from starting at SF, or an excellent PG from the portal, in which case, maybe he leaves. I certainly hope not, because he seems most like a leader for this team next year.

Our additional choice is a portal PG.

I'll believe it when i see it. The walks on didnt get into the game when they were actively playing bad, not sure that threat means anything.
Coach K used to do that to his starters when they were playing like crap, and most times it worked.

Perhaps, it was simply ADJW's hiring prowess? He was quoted at the time that it was his belief that Autry was the best candidate out there. Take it for what it's worth.

“Adrian earned this,” Wildhack said Friday. “Adrian’s not here because he’s an alum, because he played here, because he’s an associate coach here. He’s here because I believe he’s the best candidate to lead this program and sustain the success that coach Boeheim has established over 47 years.”

What do you expect him to say

What do you expect him to say

Hence, the take it for what it's worth remark.

However, in my view, when one (as the hiring manager) has to commence a public press conference about your new hire, where you feel the need to insert the particular qualifying language in which you voluntarily chose, well, IMO, it rather speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Any guesses who starts on Wednesday? I‘be shocked if the same five are rolled out.

I'll believe it when i see it. The walks on didnt get into the game when they were actively playing bad, not sure that threat means anything.
Overly literal interpretation. He is sending a message on how things will be moving forward after the embarrassment at WF- had to be done. Now he needs to act on that message. I believe he will. Play the kids that fit the culture he is trying to shape and let the chips fall. This will be one of the defining moments in his evolution as a HC.

Wednesday night will be interesting...

They need a true top-25 team level PG. Who cares how that makes the existing players feel? You don't like it? Go beat him out, or play so well you force us to play more three or four!? guard lineups.

PG: Portal/JJ/Q/Westry
SG: JJ/Westry
G/SF: Portal/Q
PF: Brown/Freeman
C: Portal/McLeod/Carey

Figure there are around 90-100 minutes for guards in that rotation, anyway. So you can basically give Portal Guard, JJ, Q, and Westry 22-28 minutes each on average.

That leaves 20-30 minutes for a Portal SF. Pencil in Brown for 25 and Freeman for 15 (he can always play his way into more) at the 4. The centers can fight it out, the top two should get plenty of run.

Seems plenty reasonable.

They need a true top-25 team level PG. Who cares how that makes the existing players feel? You don't like it? Go beat him out, or play so well you force us to play more three or four!? guard lineups.

PG: Portal/JJ/Q/Westry
SG: JJ/Westry
G/SF: Portal/Q
PF: Brown/Freeman
C: Portal/McLeod/Carey

Figure there are around 90-100 minutes for guards in that rotation, anyway. So you can basically give Portal Guard, JJ, Q, and Westry 22-28 minutes each on average.

That leaves 20-30 minutes for a Portal SF. Pencil in Brown for 25 and Freeman for 15 (he can always play his way into more) at the 4. The centers can fight it out, the top two should get plenty of run.

Seems plenty reasonable.

That is sort of what I have but I don't have McLeod

PG - Portal - Q - JJ
SG - JJ - Moore - Q
SF - Portal - Westry - Q
PF - Freeman - Brown
C - Portal - Brown

The portal PG and SG need to be able to shoot and the center better be a big body that can be physical and rebound.

Any guesses who starts on Wednesday? I‘be shocked if the same five are rolled out.
I expect the same starting line-up. My concern is if there aren't some players who don't play the next game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom