Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts

I bet Copeland will be fine. He's just frustrated and rightfully so. Red will handle it.
Next year between Copeland, JJ, Chance, Cuffe, and the frosh we are set and Guard. Chance, Copeland are probably at point.
Forward and center are where we need help. I believe the frosh starts at the 3 and Brown at the 4.
Himma leaves, 7'4 Stays, Carey Stays and we bring in another center or scoring forward.
Judah and Benny are gone. Bell or JT are gone. 4 leave in total. Possibly 5.
2 Frosh, 2 transfers
My thinking aligns pretty well with yours. JJ was visibly upset a couple times with his teammates, especially right after a corner three that was wide open. Without some really good improvements, I suspect Bell will be the other to leave.

I will say one thing that also needs to happen, is when Judah drives, throws up a prayer, and falls to the floor, his teammates need to leave him on the floor. There are too many 5 on 3's because someone is giving Judah a hand back up. If Judah is going to continue doing that, he needs to learn to get his butt back up and hustle back down court. To often he sits there in disbelief he didn't get the call.

Hurley was a proven head coach befor he got the UConn gig. Red isn’t and wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a potential head coach.

Red may turn out to be Red Auerbach and only time will tell but it was a massive gamble to name him head coach. One that I don’t feel we needed to take. It was a lazy hire done in a rush to get JB out the door.
It wasn’t lazy. The reasons it happened have been discussed before it was made. And outside hires fail to a good amount of the time. People here love Ed Cooley and Georgetown is a bottom 5 power 6 team this season.

Hurley was a proven head coach befor he got the UConn gig. Red isn’t and wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a potential head coach.

Red may turn out to be Red Auerbach and only time will tell but it was a massive gamble to name him head coach. One that I don’t feel we needed to take. It was a lazy hire done in a rush to get JB out the door.
I think it was partially to appease JB and remain on good terms with him post coaching.

It wasn’t lazy. The reasons it happened have been discussed before it was made. And outside hires fail to a good amount of the time. People here love Ed Cooley and Georgetown is a bottom 5 power 6 team this season.
SU shouldn’t have a 1st time head coach in basketball ever. Especially one that no one else has ever considered for the role. Do you think SU is just smarter than everyone else?

SU shouldn’t have a 1st time head coach in basketball ever. Especially one that no one else has ever considered for the role. Do you think SU is just smarter than everyone else?
I never posted anything about SU being smarter than anyone else saying we should not have hired a 1st time head coach ever is just your opinion. I posted what was going down while it was happening. No sense rehashing this again. We are 22 games into year 1.

I'm ok with a 1st time coach from the staff if the program is thriving. The program wasnt thriving, it was declining. That's why the internal route is questionable but, it was to appease the former coach to push him out and JW caved to those pressures.

I'm ok with a 1st time coach from the staff if the program is thriving. The program wasnt thriving, it was declining. That's why the internal route is questionable but, it was to appease the former coach to push him out and JW caved to those pressures.
So prison to halfway house and then fan freedom?

Red is going to be fine. If not than JW has full support to go outside of the program to find a coach. Going outside isnt a sure bet at all. If Red had gone outside and we had the same results what would the narrative be.
How about the donors who love JB and love the program. Would they have remained loyal and been supportive of an outside hire?
John made the right call in keeping it in house. If it doesn't work out, he moves forward. Having gone outside to begin with only gave him one swing. This way he has two. John isn't a dummy.

Red needs to start his five best defensive players on Wednesday night. Screw the egos and send a message. The two worst defenders on this team are Bell and Mintz. I’d sit them both. If I’m going to lose, I’m going to lose playing guys who play hard and together. We have to get bigger on the floor. I feel bad for Justin because he’s been forced to guard teams four man while giving up 5-6 inches every game. Copeland, JJ, Brown, Taylor and Carey. All hell may break out, but those five guys will play hard. Until Mintz, Bell and Williams start guarding, they should all spend time guarding their chairs on the sidelines. I’d also play Cuffe because he plays hard, not always smart, but hard. It won’t happen, but it should.

Red needs to start his five best defensive players on Wednesday night. Screw the egos and send a message. The two worst defenders on this team are Bell and Mintz. I’d sit them both. If I’m going to lose, I’m going to lose playing guys who play hard and together. We have to get bigger on the floor. I feel bad for Justin because he’s been forced to guard teams four man while giving up 5-6 inches every game. Copeland, JJ, Brown, Taylor and Carey. All hell may break out, but those five guys will play hard. Until Mintz, Bell and Williams start guarding, they should all spend time guarding their chairs on the sidelines. I’d also play Cuffe because he plays hard, not always smart, but hard. It won’t happen, but it should.
JJ is worse on defense than either Bell or Mintz and I have zero idea why. If you wanted to start our 5 best defenders you would have Mintz, Copeland, Taylor, Benny, and Brown.

Mintz has many warts but he’s far and away the best scorer on the team and they have no shot w/o him.

No shot clock, less parity, and no three point shooting and a completely different mentality.

The shot clock began in '85 and the 3 point began in 86. Longer shot clock in the beginning and closer 3 pt line. 100 points was required for fries, they weren't lower scoring games back then.
If there is so much parity, why do we get blown out?

Well SU did hire a guy named Boeheim …

I bet Copeland will be fine. He's just frustrated and rightfully so. Red will handle it.
Next year between Copeland, JJ, Chance, Cuffe, and the frosh we are set and Guard. Chance, Copeland are probably at point.
Forward and center are where we need help. I believe the frosh starts at the 3 and Brown at the 4.
Himma leaves, 7'4 Stays, Carey Stays and we bring in another center or scoring forward.
Judah and Benny are gone. Bell or JT are gone. 4 leave in total. Possibly 5.
2 Frosh, 2 transfers
I think this is close to what turns out. Still not a lot of shooting.

I think Red is learning, but not sure if it's quickly enough for what's needed in order for us to be a top-5 ACC team. This offseason should tell us a lot. This is only Hubert Davis's third season at UNC but there have already been a couple occasions where it's been a legitimate question if he's cut out for it. Obviously UNC enjoys some advantages we don't, and I'm not saying we'll be a top-5 team in two years, but it could click. Red's not leaving before then anyway.

It's obvious that some guys need to be flushed out of the program (for various reasons) while others have shown that they can be part of good-to-great teams.

Yep. We need a legit P5 center and a plus shooter and defender at forward (i.e., 3 & D). Those are absolute musts.

The guard's will be interesting. I think we're in trouble if Cuffe's in the rotation.

Unsure how anyone views next year as 'set at Guard.' Copeland lacks experience as a lead-guard, Westry and Cuffe have played little-to-none major minutes, accompanied with injuries, and Moore will be new to the college game. Experience aside, you're looking at a major lack of proven shooting outside of JJ, just as this year.

It would be a massive gamble by Red (for next year and his young HC career) to not bring in a portal veteran guard to run the show

College basketball and the SU program has changed in the half century since JB was named head coach.
Don't be ridiculous.Every legendary coach was hired for the 1st time. The list of head coaches with previous head coaching experience that have failed is endless.

Unsure how anyone views next year as 'set at Guard.

It would be a massive gamble by Red (for next year and his young HC career) to not bring in a portal veteran guard to run the show
Yeah, put me firmly in this camp. It will be a huge risk to roll with what we have at guard next season. Need a true PG. IMO, Red needs to reshape the roster at all 3 levels (G, F, C).

Liking this. I Guess I didn't consider Westry running point at all, but interesting. I thought a veteran guard shooter would help as well, but It's bottom of the list after reloading with some meat in the front court.

Finding that perfect guard that can guard and shoot and is a veteran. Where's that come from, not so easy to find.

I see two options for QC next season:

1. Autry tells him to be ready to run the point for 30 MPG and spend the summer learning to initiate offense while maintaining his ability to drive. I think he could do it, but could understand if others disagree. But it would free up a scholly to use on a 3-and-D guy, wing slasher or true big.

2. Get a portal PG and tell Q to put on 15 pounds and be ready to be the 3-and-D guy and slash some as well. Think Kevin McCullar on Kansas - He had never shot better than 31% from deep in four seasons but is now at 37% with excellent perimeter defense.

I think it was partially to appease JB and remain on good terms with him post coaching.

Perhaps, it was simply ADJW's hiring prowess? He was quoted at the time that it was his belief that Autry was the best candidate out there. Take it for what it's worth.

“Adrian earned this,” Wildhack said Friday. “Adrian’s not here because he’s an alum, because he played here, because he’s an associate coach here. He’s here because I believe he’s the best candidate to lead this program and sustain the success that coach Boeheim has established over 47 years.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom