Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Postgame Thoughts

For those who think we’re just going to recruit over all the guys on the roster with better portal players, I think you might be a bit surprised when the best portal players don’t want to come here. Mediocre begets mediocre. I’m concerned.

Freeman is an absolute stud by all measurables.

But, yeah, hard to know for sure with freshmen until they get here and start playing.

Also, with portal, there will be a short list of real difference makers, and everyone will be after them.

Last edited:
I would expect him to move on, sitting behind 2 players like Bell, and Taylor all year should be enough for him to portal.
I wouldn’t put bell in that conversation. He’s had some big games for us this year. Taylor on the other hand..totally

I would expect him to move on, sitting behind 2 players like Bell, and Taylor all year should be enough for him to portal.

Red will need "the talk" with him to keep him, is my guess.

Their spat yesterday with Red telling him to get up twice and go sit at the end of the bench, not sure either are pleased, lol.

If Red can't get portal players to come here then Red isn't the person for the job. Fran has no issues getting high-level portal players here when the program has been less than mediocre.
Agree. I want Red as we all do. I think the jury is still out on his coaching. But I am concerned about his recruiting. Freeman and Moore were two good gets but I’m not seeing momentum beyond that. It would help if we could win a couple of games we shouldn’t but I’m not sure if this staff has a killer recruiting mentality. I puke every time I think of UConn and what Hurley had done. It seems unimaginable.

If Red can't get portal players to come here then Red isn't the person for the job. Fran has no issues getting high-level portal players here when the program has been less than mediocre.
A name program. TV exposure. ACC. Potentially huge crowds. He better be able to successfully portal.

Agree. I want Red as we all do. I think the jury is still out on his coaching. But I am concerned about his recruiting. Freeman and Moore were two good gets but I’m not seeing momentum beyond that. It would help if we could win a couple of games we shouldn’t but I’m not sure if this staff has a killer recruiting mentality. I puke every time I think of UConn and what Hurley had done. It seems unimaginable.
What was Hurley’s record his first season at UConn?

At least he takes ownership. Would never hear that the last 45 years
In the last 45 years, we've had around 10 seasons like the one Red is putting together this year.

Yeah, I’m not questioning Red on the team record, but Hurley out recruited a 45 year hall of fame coach while he had a crappy record. I don’t see us closing on ‘25-‘27 recruits that we need to pull. Maybe we will. I’m just a bit worried as these guys have not been proven to be great recruiters. At least not yet.

How many spots we got? Are we in purge mode? #s, so many other factors...

He was at UConn for 2 seasons (AAC conference) before they rejoined the Big East in 2020-2021 the Covid year. He was 35-29 in his first 2 years, (16-17 and 19-12). His 3rd year which was his first in the Big East he was 15-8.

A name program. TV exposure. ACC. Potentially huge crowds. He better be able to successfully portal.
Are we a name program though? Or are we just a mediocre program to most kids today? Are we closer to Wake Forest than Duke or UNC? I’m not sure recruits view the program the same way as we long time fans do. Judging by last night, we’re looking up at Wake Forest. We are what we’ve been for a decade plus. It’s scary and depressing. Can Red create Fran Brown excitement? I’m not seeing it…yet.

At least he takes ownership. Would never hear that the last 45 years

I'd hold off on belittling the guy who put where Red he is today.
Words at a press conference are nice but let's see what he does that's different to turn this show around.
Let Red win his first 500 games before we start throwing stones.

Yeah, I’m not questioning Red on the team record, but Hurley out recruited a 45 year hall of fame coach while he had a crappy record. I don’t see us closing on ‘25-‘27 recruits that we need to pull. Maybe we will. I’m just a bit worried as these guys have not been proven to be great recruiters. At least not yet.
We are close in closing on one top 30 guy now.

Last edited:
It’s not like the UCONN roster is even filled with 5 star players. He’s created a culture of toughness and clearly his guys put a lot of work into strength and conditioning. Our players need to do the same, so when your shots aren’t falling your body is at least making an impact on the game, making the other team have to work harder driving on you, boxing you out, and guarding you.

He was at UConn for 2 seasons (AAC conference) before they rejoined the Big East in 2020-2021 the Covid year. He was 35-29 in his first 2 years, (16-17 and 19-12). His 3rd year which was his first in the Big East he was 15-8.
There was obviously serious mad buy in for him as well. He did it. They play so hard. Red is a NY guy as well, he cares, and we will get this right. I honestly feel Allen Griffin is the one who needs to step it up. We need trench dogs like AO, RJ. I trust for wisdom and knowledge to navigate building a program in this age.

I'd hold off on belittling the guy who put where Red he is today.
Words at a press conference are nice but let's see what he does that's different to turn this show around.
Let Red win his first 500 games before we start throwing stones.
It’s not throwing stones. It’s the truth. That’s not even up for debate. I’m not belittling anyone. Name an occasion in the past where ownership was taken? Was always the players fault

Have to hope Westry can get - and stay - healthy. By all accounts he’s much more of a PG than Judah, which is what this team desperately needs.

Will definitely need to get a hired gun at the 3 spot in the offseason as we need a floor stretcher and someone who can replace Judah’s points.
Whose accounts? He’s not a point guard.

There was obviously serious mad buy in for him as well. He did it. They play so hard. Red is a NY guy as well, he cares, and we will get this right. I honestly feel Allen Griffin is the one who needs to step it up. We need trench dogs like AO, RJ. I trust for wisdom and knowledge to navigate building a program in this age.
100%, I am optimistic that he knows as well and seeing UCONN success should fire everyone in the program up to work a lot harder. Guys like Sanogo and Clingan are amazing college basketball players because there work in the strength and conditioning has enabled them to show off their skills.

Are we a name program though? Or are we just a mediocre program to most kids today? Are we closer to Wake Forest than Duke or UNC? I’m not sure recruits view the program the same way as we long time fans do. Judging by last night, we’re looking up at Wake Forest. We are what we’ve been for a decade plus. It’s scary and depressing. Can Red create Fran Brown excitement? I’m not seeing it…yet.
Syracuse and Georgetown got on national television after both teams went sub .500, yes they’re a name program. If the excuses becomes “well Syracuse is more akin to Wake than Duke then stop bothering with a program reset, that’s just a colossal waste of money

Oh well

Copeland and JJ is not a bad starting backcourt, and then bring Choppa off the bench as instant offense. Keep Cuffe around as the 4th guard.

Copeland and JJ is not a bad starting backcourt, and then bring Choppa off the bench as instant offense. Keep Cuffe around as the 4th guard.
He’s not good enough to be guaranteed a starting spot.

He also had success at his prior Wagner and Rhode Island stints. So, in his case, unlike Red's, he had a track record of relative success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom