Wakey Leaks... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wakey Leaks...

Petrino at minimum has to be suspended for X amount of conference games.

For taking the info or lying about taking the info?

for lying about his mistress, er, wait, I mean for quitting on the Falcons. no, no, wait, I mean for both things you mention!
The guy is total sleaze. He can coach so kids keep going there, but if I had a son, no way would I want him to play for that POS

Hearing that Tommy Elrod has been hired by Jurich as their new play by playbook man for local radio.

I'm guessing there's been FOIA requests for all public school employees contacts with the . . . . . , it'll be interesting if the ACC starts naming names or if they try to sweep this under the rug if it's pervasive.

Just within the last hour I heard on sports radio down here in the Triangle that the FOIA requests have indeed been filed.

When the sports radio guys down here first broke the story during the week after the game they ridiculed the sound bite from Petrino. Basically in his initial response he didn't deny his staff may have known, but stated that he knew nothing about it. Pre-emptively removing himself from the situation before the storm, but never flat-out denying his program's involvement and he was rather ambiguous in his response.

Tom Jurich's Wakeyleaks statement brings more questions than answers - FootballScoop

“I have no knowledge of the situation,’” Petrino told the Winston-Salem Journal in November. “We take a lot of pride in the way we operate our program. As I’ve stated already this season, my coaching philosophy has always been to play the game with sportsmanship.”

Here he was on Mike and Mike denying it as well.

“I can tell you that we didn’t,” Petrino said on Mike and Mike. “I like our team, and I’m down here (in Houston) preparing for this game, so I don’t really understand what they’re talking about. I heard about it right before we got on the plane to leave. But I can assure you that we prepare each week the way that you’re supposed to prepare, and I like the fact that our team knows how to do that.”

So while Petrino is denying his staff had any knowledge of leaked game plans, Jurich admits Petrino’s staff accepted and used those same leaked game plans. All this at a school that recently went through a scandal in which head basketball coach Rick Pitino claimed to have zero knowledge of his assistants using prostitutes to lure recruits.

2) Why does Jurich find no issue with his assistants using stolen information? Instead of being concerned of his staff’s complicity in comprising the integrity of college football, he’s annoyed the scandal has affected prep for a game that is still more than two weeks away.

3) Is the ACC going to accept Louisville knowing using stolen information from another league member without a statement of its own?

We still don’t know how many other times Elrod leaked Wake’s game plans and, more importantly, to whom he leaked them. But that Wake Forest had to discover for itself that its integrity was being compromised is the most disturbing aspect of this troubling situation.

Sounds like Petrino is brushing up on his SEC media skills, hoping to get another shot. I believe Arkansas has enough good will for its fellow conference mates to remind them of the mess he left with Arkansas (and Louisville Part I, Part II is still in production mode)

Sounds like Petrino is brushing up on his SEC media skills, hoping to get another shot. I believe Arkansas has enough good will for its fellow conference mates to remind them of the mess he left with Arkansas (and Louisville Part I, Part II is still in production mode)

I assume coaches in th SEC call situations like this "Tuesday afternoon."

I would love for the NCAA to spend 8 years investigating SEC football in the same manner they peered into Syracuse basketball.

The worst part of this scandal is that every time they report on it down here on tv they show the highlights from our monsoon game. :(

I don't know what the ACC can do other than vacate wins for teams that willingly accepted the information. A one game suspension per incident of the head coach could be added as well... yes, even if the offending coach/staff has already departed.

It might also be good if the implicated schools (or conference) would fine the coaches involved in a uniform manner ($10k per coach, per incident?).

Update: I just saw the possible Army implication. Not much that the ACC can do about a program outside of the conference. I suspect that Army will take this more seriously than Jurich.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Army would cheat. I have a friend who went to West Point and he told me they don't even have proctors to exams. The reason is no cadet would dare to even consider cheating.

I highly doubt Army would cheat. I have a friend who went to West Point and he told me they don't even have proctors to exams. The reason is no cadet would dare to even consider cheating.

Are the coaches all ex-cadets though?

Not to be snarky, but if you google "West Point cheating scandal" you get to choose between the scandals of 1951, 1973 & 1976

The Air Force is always ahead of the curve: they have 7 suggested scandal years

Last edited:
I don't know what the ACC can do other than vacate wins for teams that willingly accepted the information. A one game suspension per incident of the head coach could be added as well... yes, even if the offending coach/staff has already departed.

It might also be good if the implicated schools (or conference) would fine the coaches involved in a uniform manner ($10k per coach, per incident?).

Update: I just saw the possible Army implication. Not much that the ACC can do about a program outside of the conference. I suspect that Army will take this more seriously than Jurich.

Ahhhh, so the plot thickens. You know Army did beat Wake (which surprised me as Duke beat Army and Duke lost to Wake) but then Wake beat SU which also surprised me. However, stay tuned - I read FOIA requests are going to Wake so we will see who the other schools were, and if one or more were "repeat recipients" since 2014.

Just to stir the pot, I believe I read on the NC State site that UL, Army, and Indiana are three schools named - are there others? I understood that all of them had assistant coaches who were on Jim Grobe's staff at Wake with Elrod. Now Wake was leading UL 12-0 until late in the 3rd quarter, Army beat Wake surprisingly, and Indiana lost b/c they had 5 turnovers but outgained Wake offensively so maybe there is something to this. I also read somewhere that Elrod has hired a criminal defense attorney.

Isnt this against competitive spirit? Can the ncaa step in here. Lville needs to be punished along w other teams, including us if we participated

Dan Wetzel's take.

"Those poor Victim Cardinals. Can someone get Papa John to build a safe space for them?

Jurich’s statement is so comically ridiculous it doesn’t even merit outrage. Just laughs. Of course Tom Jurich would sign off on that.

Look, this isn’t exactly death-penalty stuff. Coaches routinely try to find out any nugget of information from anywhere they can. Elrod was clearly willing to deal it. Why? Maybe it was because the new Wake Forest coach didn’t keep him on staff? Maybe it was for gambling purposes? Maybe it was just because? Who knows?

Even if this is commonplace, it’s still cheating. Anything else is sugarcoating it.

Jurich is claiming it was just attempted cheating, which isn’t any better. It is like attempted murder – just because you’re a lousy shot doesn’t excuse anything. And his reasoning on how they already knew all these plays and formations is ridiculous. You can’t be a little bit pregnant on this. Besides, why would anyone take Louisville’s word for it? That the Cardinals probably would have won anyways is likewise immaterial.

The Cards cheated. And the AD is so delusional he doesn’t appear to care at all. He isn’t just not blaming or disciplining his assistant coach, he’s throwing a pity party for the guy.

If that’s the attitude of the chief administrator, well, is it really that big of a surprise that Louisville is the first school nailed in this scandal?"

The worst part of this scandal is that every time they report on it down here on tv they show the highlights from our monsoon game. :(
I really tired of being the highlight for other team's successes. If I have to see Lamar hurdle our guy one more time I'm going to barf.

In the 1940's (?) Army won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. The next day they forfeited the win.

In the 1980's, Colorado won a game by mistakenly getting a fifth down which allowed them to score the winning touchdown. They didn't forfeit. That put them in a position to win a national title which they shared with Georgia Tech.

What is the NASCAR motto? If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

Thank goodness college football employs these noble "builders of men" to embiggen the character of their "student athletes".
When big time money found its way to college athletics, so did big time corruption. Not saying there wasn't a couple bad apples before, but, when you put that much money on the line in a very volatile job market you'll see the worst in people.

When big time money found its way to college athletics, so did big time corruption. Not saying there wasn't a couple bad apples before, but, when you put that much money on the line in a very volatile job market you'll see the worst in people.

College athletics has always been a cesspool though. SEC schools were dropping sacks of cash from planes onto the land of prized recruits in the 50s.

At least in pro sports the greed is transparent and acknowledged. It's the BS from those that run college athletics that infuriates me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom