Want the good news?? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Want the good news??

If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.

Let's be real here. Trevor is a red shirt soph and played VERY VERY LITTLE last year. This is not his third year, it's his second. Don't give up on this kid...

steals can be an incrdibly overrated stat fwiw.
I understand this, but I just thought it should be pointed out. I think he is a solid defender overall, I just used steals as one way to show it.

Not to worry. Love for Grant to return, but McCullough is better.

Let me get this straight, so McCullough, right now, is better than Grant is right now? McCullough hasn't even played in SU's zone yet. There is no way he knows where to be when playing defense. What is SU's recent record with big men? Let's ask Tyler Roberson how much pt JB gives to players who don't know where they are supposed to be in the zone?

I understand your enthusiasm for the arrival of McCullough. (I am excited as well) However, that statement is pure hyperbole.
I was all in on Roberson, after I was all in on DC2, after I was all in on Christmas, after I was all in on Fab. At this point, I have resigned myself to lowering my expectations for big men. I am nearly convinced that it will take any big man, at least 2 years to show their potential due to a need to learn to play in the zone. It will require a transcendentally gifted player (Such as Melo) to convince JB that their offense is good enough to suffer through bad/mediocre defense. I don't think McCullough is that good. I sure hope that I am wrong, because it is scary to think how offensively challenged next years team could be without Grant.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but steals (and blocks) are more often than not about a gamble that can put a player out of position. In a defense that requires positioning. So it's not the steal itself that's overrated, it's the mindset it creates. Cooneys steals are not a good indicator of his d positioning/closeouts/etc. how many times have u seen rak gamble for a block leaving the whole back line exposed? A guy like mcw was a freak because he could gamble and recover with his frame. Cooney and Ennis can't.
I was being serious and you explained your rationale very well. good stuff.

It's funny I saw MCW struggle even more than this last yeast at the same point in the season. This is becoming a pattern for JB coached teams. It's interesting until 5 games a to his lack of so called pace wasn't a problem. Sorry but I'm not buying it Last year SU had the same lack of pace. Are you also saying MCW needed more seasoning?

I think Tyler's only problem is that he's beat up and the the opposing coaches know how to defend JBs system

Carter Williams (sophomore) was a better scorer, defender, and had better size. On top of it he played at a much faster pace. If you notice when Ennis speeds up he turns it over. Ennis will get there but I would take Carter Williams and I've said that all season. Ennis has done great for a true freshman no doubt.

For as much as people talk about how limited Grant is, I think the way our team is responding to his injury shows just how much of a game changing basketball player he is.

Game changers tend to do well in the NBA draft.

:noidea:

Carter Williams (sophomore) was a better scorer, defender, and had better size. On top of it he played at a much faster pace. If you notice when Ennis speeds up he turns it over. Ennis will get there but I would take Carter Williams and I've said that all season. Ennis has done great for a true freshman no doubt.

Mcw's numbers are very similar to Ennis' numbers. Mcw averaged most assists, and Ennis has shot it better from three.

baggerbob said:
If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.

Cooney's shooting percentages are better across the board vs all of Rautin's years except his senior year. Posters wanted him out too. Cooney will start next year too.

Last edited:
Rautins made our offense fun his jr year. Flynn would drive and find Rautins and Devo spotting up on the perimeter. Rautins and Devo didn't have to run motion to spot up that year, the way cooney does.It was very fun to watch come march. Then As a 5th year senior, Rautins shot threes with a hand in his face and utilized a one dribble pumpfake pullup. He became a isolation one on one scorer at times, who could shoot off the dribble instead of just spotting up.

Point being Rautins grew light years offensively from his freshmen to his 5th year senior season.Stats cannot convey that.

I think Trevor has the potential to become that no doubt. He has to continue to pour his conditioning and soul into it though, even in the offseason.

I also think trevor has lots on andy rautins and even gmac when it comes to a scoring game in the lane. He has more of a Triche,Devendorf scoring potential off the dribble. Different style then them, but that is great news. If he becomes a Rautins type shooter his senior season and adds a similar drive to triche/devendorf he could be 1st team all acc.

Last edited:
FWIW...I heard that Harvey Grant is an advocate for Jerami staying in school, atleast one more year anyway. Makes sense since the family is financially secure already and Jerian will be back next season too.

Unless we win the whole thing, I think Grant is back in Orange. Just my opinion.

Antiprodigy said:
Let me get this straight, so McCullough, right now, is better than Grant is right now? McCullough hasn't even played in SU's zone yet. There is no way he knows where to be when playing defense. What is SU's recent record with big men? Let's ask Tyler Roberson how much pt JB gives to players who don't know where they are supposed to be in the zone? I understand your enthusiasm for the arrival of McCullough. (I am excited as well) However, that statement is pure hyperbole. I was all in on Roberson, after I was all in on DC2, after I was all in on Christmas, after I was all in on Fab. At this point, I have resigned myself to lowering my expectations for big men. I am nearly convinced that it will take any big man, at least 2 years to show their potential due to a need to learn to play in the zone. It will require a transcendentally gifted player (Such as Melo) to convince JB that their offense is good enough to suffer through bad/mediocre defense. I don't think McCullough is that good. I sure hope that I am wrong, because it is scary to think how offensively challenged next years team could be without Grant.

I officially retract my statement. I saw McCullough play the other day and he is not better than Grant. At this point. In fact, I'm a bit concerned about McCullough because we may need him to provide valuable minutes next year if Grant leaves.

I'm at a loss as to how we're going to get points at the forward spot. We're really going to miss Fair.

Speaking of jonny i wish we could combine tyler's intangibles/pg mentality with jonnys athleticism.
I don't. I loved Jonny for who he was. There wasn't a question as to that when he played at all. We don't quite know what Tyler will be yet. We know he's talented, but just not sure how high the ceiling is.

If the time beckoned, Jonny was going to put it on the floor and use his first step to get to the basket. Ask Thabeet who Jonny Flynn is. All man.

That should just about end all the Ennis to the NBA talk. He's. not there yet, wasn't there yet, and barring a miraculous offensive turnaround that gets us to Dallas, won't get there yet.

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...

Other PGs turn it over with a low pace. And was MCW a lottery pick at this point last year? What if Tyler or Jerami have a big tournament?

I officially retract my statement. I saw McCullough play the other day and he is not better than Grant. At this point. In fact, I'm a bit concerned about McCullough because we may need him to provide valuable minutes next year if Grant leaves.

I'm at a loss as to how we're going to get points at the forward spot. We're really going to miss Fair.
Nfw...cm is better than grant

I don't. I loved Jonny for who he was. There wasn't a question as to that when he played at all. We don't quite know what Tyler will be yet. We know he's talented, but just not sure how high the ceiling is.

If the time beckoned, Jonny was going to put it on the floor and use his first step to get to the basket. Ask Thabeet who Jonny Flynn is. All man.
I loved Jonny too but at times he was more scorer than pg.

Cooney's shooting percentages are better across the board vs all of Rautin's years except his senior year. Posters wanted him out too. Cooney will start next year too.

I feel like Andy was more hot/cold his first three years than his last, but I do think he is different than Cooney (this year) regardless of what the total numbers say. What I mean by that is, I don't recall Andy ever having stretches like this, where he shot sooooo badly for an extended period of time. He always seemed more consistent overall. Outside of the ND game, it feels like Cooney has been downright AWFUL from three for awhile now.

Rautins junior season vs. Cooney this year. Cooney shoots a higher percentage, but which would you rather have?

53J9vEx.png

I do agree that Cooney should, and will, start next year, but he has to give us more on offense THIS YEAR. He just has to - we need something from that spot on the floor. And he's capable.

(The stats may not help as much as I expected they would - but I put in the leg work in so figured I would post them)

I also think trevor has lots on andy rautins and even gmac when it comes to a scoring game in the lane. He has more of a Triche,Devendorf scoring potential off the dribble. Different style then them, but that is great news. If he becomes a Rautins type shooter his senior season and adds a similar drive to triche/devendorf he could be 1st team all acc.

I doubt he'll ever be a scorer off the dribble the way Devendorf was. Devo probably doesn't get enough credit for how good he was off the bounce.

FWIW...I heard that Harvey Grant is an advocate for Jerami staying in school, atleast one more year anyway. Makes sense since the family is financially secure already and Jerian will be back next season too.

Unless we win the whole thing, I think Grant is back in Orange. Just my opinion.
Is Grant's brother returning to ND next year?

I feel like Andy was more hot/cold his first three years than his last, but I do think he is different than Cooney (this year) regardless of what the total numbers say. What I mean by that is, I don't recall Andy ever having stretches like this, where he shot sooooo badly for an extended period of time. He always seemed more consistent overall. Outside of the ND game, it feels like Cooney has been downright AWFUL from three for awhile now.

Rautins junior season vs. Cooney this year. Cooney shoots a higher percentage, but which would you rather have?

53J9vEx.png

I do agree that Cooney should, and will, start next year, but he has to give us more on offense THIS YEAR. He just has to - we need something from that spot on the floor. And he's capable.

(The stats may not help as much as I expected they would - but I put in the leg work in so figured I would post them)

These are good metrics!!! Everyone goes into slumps...Let's not give up on Trevor just yet...He'll shoot himself out of it!

So potentially his back is a big risk to give someone millions only to not be able to play.
Nerlans Noel-knee, Sam Bowie-had already had one broken leg in college, Greg Oden. These were guys that had already had major issues. Even the guy from last year who won't fly on a plane. Grant's may only be some back spasms, maybe more, we don't know

I think our memory of the RSo Andy is clouded by what he became as a RS. which was good enough to make an NBA roster. I remember the story of him crying after the Okie game because he had one of his worst shooting games, which was unfortunate all around. It would nice to have TC bounce back ASAP, hopefully, he does, but I believe that when he is a RS, he's going to be much more consistent. Under Boeheim, it can take some time to expand your game. Over the past 3-4 games, TC has begun to drive to the basket, I think we'll see a lot more

53J9vEx.png

I agree that we need more from Cooney right now. At least distribute the ball, man.

But I don't think it's fair to compare the fourth-year junior to the third-year sophomore. And the complementary parts obviously had an effect on each player, too - say what you want about the Uncoachables of 2009, but they had a number of guys who commanded the focus of the opposing defense and took pressure off Rautins. Not so this year.

There has been some games where he abuses the guy who guards him others where Ennis can't do much against his defender. That should say alot. On top of that he isn't ready to pull up over his guy from outside one on one yet, but he could develop that.

That = not ready to play in the nba yet.

Really I say the same for grant. Until he puts on some strength to prove he can drive from the high/mid post again, and smooths out his jumper alittle bit more. Hes not ready.

Hes a all low post scorer and its no longer off the drive. He adds a additional 2.3 ppg off a jumpshot, but thats not much.

Grant needs a drop step. He can't just do that spin move every time he drives the lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom