Want the good news?? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Want the good news??

If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.

Cooney is either first or second in the ACC in steals. So, he's clearly playing pretty good defense.

Carter Williams (sophomore) was a better scorer, defender, and had better size. On top of it he played at a much faster pace. If you notice when Ennis speeds up he turns it over. Ennis will get there but I would take Carter Williams and I've said that all season. Ennis has done great for a true freshman no doubt.

As odd as it seems since MCW is thriving in NBA and I dont think Ennis will do so, next year or perhaps ever, I would take Ennis over MCW at the college level all day. The turnover difference is obvious, and dramatic, but Ennis is also much smarter with all decisions, has a better shot, and plays better under both defensive and game pressure.

That should just about end all the Ennis to the NBA talk. He's. not there yet, wasn't there yet, and barring a miraculous offensive turnaround that gets us to Dallas, won't get there yet.

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...
I hope he stays too, but if the turnover count was low because of lack of pace, his assists would be lower too. 5 a game for a college player is pretty good.

the one thing cooney does poor on defense is get a hand up on shooters at the top of the key

Agreed. We aren't anticipating/closing well on the threes. From the BC game on, it seems like teams are dropping threes on us like it was a shootaround, esp in the second half. That is killing us.

Steals and blocked shots stats don't pick that up. Good defense is so much more than highlight plays. IMHO, realistically, the best defense is not shutting everything off (steals and blocks, unrealistic on every possession), but simply getting your man to take a bad shot, low percentage.

Yeah we're gonna be loaded next year.

Not so fast. If we look at next year the way JB coached this year (e.g., Roberson's "not ready" to contribute), next year looks a bit thin:

Grant -- assuming he comes back would start and hopefully improve his 3-pt shooting.
Rak -- would share 5 time with DC2, who it turn is an unknown factor in just about every area of the game.
Roberson -- If he hasn't learned the system well enough to play this year, his evolution will be slow, barring a miracle.
Cooney -- should be much improved and a more reliable shooter.
Ennis -- again, assuming he comes back, would be a solid starter and contributor.

But:

The bench will consist of freshmen or untried players who may take time to develop to the level JB demands. True, I'm leaving out G because I still don't know what he contributes other than defense and a fill-in PG or SG that doesn't S much. But if Grant and/or Ennis don't come back, we're not only thin but inexperienced as well. McCullough is supposed to be a beast, but so was Roberson. It's all about climbing the learning curve, and JB's curve is steep. In sum, don't start buying 2015 Final Four tickets yet. A lot of stuff needs to happen over the summer and on the court next October.-VBOF

I feel like Andy was more hot/cold his first three years than his last, but I do think he is different than Cooney (this year) regardless of what the total numbers say. What I mean by that is, I don't recall Andy ever having stretches like this, where he shot sooooo badly for an extended period of time. He always seemed more consistent overall. Outside of the ND game, it feels like Cooney has been downright AWFUL from three for awhile now.

Rautins junior season vs. Cooney this year. Cooney shoots a higher percentage, but which would you rather have?

53J9vEx.png

I do agree that Cooney should, and will, start next year, but he has to give us more on offense THIS YEAR. He just has to - we need something from that spot on the floor. And he's capable.

(The stats may not help as much as I expected they would - but I put in the leg work in so figured I would post them)
Interesting chart on TC's shooting. If I'm reading it right, he's had three big games, followed each time by a nine game "slump" (though at the beginning of the year the down games were nothing like they are now). So if history repeats, big game on Sunday. The downside is that he won't have another big game until next year...

Not so fast. If we look at next year the way JB coached this year (e.g., Roberson's "not ready" to contribute), next year looks a bit thin:

Grant -- assuming he comes back would start and hopefully improve his 3-pt shooting.
Rak -- would share 5 time with DC2, who it turn is an unknown factor in just about every area of the game.
Roberson -- If he hasn't learned the system well enough to play this year, his evolution will be slow, barring a miracle.
Cooney -- should be much improved and a more reliable shooter.
Ennis -- again, assuming he comes back, would be a solid starter and contributor.

Grant and Ennis will most likely not come back. There are already on NBA scouting radar so they are gone. So here's you lineup:

McCollough (assuming he's academically eligible)
Rak/Obokoh
Roberson
Conney/Silent G
Kaleb Joseph/Silent G

Wow! Compare that lineup to Duke's five 5-star freshmen class. Where does BJ and Paterson fit if in if they ever do?

P.S. I'm just assuming DC's career is over. I doubt he will be capable of contributing. It seems like his knee injury is a perennial thing.

Grant and Ennis will most likely not come back. There are already on NBA scouting radar so they are gone. So here's you lineup:

McCollough (assuming he's academically eligible)
Rak/Obokoh
Roberson
Conney/Silent G
Kaleb Joseph/Silent G

Wow! Compare that lineup to Duke's five 5-star freshmen class. Where does BJ and Paterson fit if in if they ever do?

P.S. I'm just assuming DC's career is over. I doubt he will be capable of contributing. It seems like his knee injury is a perennial thing.

Considering that the above lineup takes every open question and answers it negatively, even throwing in that Coleman's career is over, and that the above lineup would STILL likely be top 20, forgive me for being optimistic about next year. I think its 80% that at least one of Ennis or Grant return, and a better chance that both return than none. But even with the above, isn't the average ranking of the starting lineup around 30-35? How many teams can say that? How many times has SU been able to say that? I realize rankings dont carry the day, but the cupboard is far more full than bare...and then we have Malachi and hopefully TB on the way. Enjoy this run.

Considering that the above lineup takes every open question and answers it negatively.

"In the voluminous writings he composed during his eleven years imprisonment under the fascist regime, Antonio Gramsci repeatedly cites the aphorism, “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will” (which he ascribed to the novelist Romain Rolland). In one of his letters, he expanded the idea: “The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned … I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.” In the context of Gramsci’s life and work, the phrase had a particular resonance. He was suffering isolation and deprivation in prison, from which he had no hope of release."

The fan in me is optimistic the Orange will win. However, my negativity comes from my intellect. I am trying to look at our team without any illusions of fandom.

"In the voluminous writings he composed during his eleven years imprisonment under the fascist regime, Antonio Gramsci repeatedly cites the aphorism, “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will” (which he ascribed to the novelist Romain Rolland). In one of his letters, he expanded the idea: “The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned … I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.” In the context of Gramsci’s life and work, the phrase had a particular resonance. He was suffering isolation and deprivation in prison, from which he had no hope of release."

The fan in me is optimistic the Orange will win. However, my negativity comes from my intellect. I am trying to look at our team without any illusions of fandom.

No, your pessimism stems from the fact that you believe that the sky is falling.

Definitely the first-ever Gramsci reference on Syracusefan. Nice.

Dave85 said:
"In the voluminous writings he composed during his eleven years imprisonment under the fascist regime, Antonio Gramsci repeatedly cites the aphorism, “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will” (which he ascribed to the novelist Romain Rolland). In one of his letters, he expanded the idea: “The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned … I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.” In the context of Gramsci’s life and work, the phrase had a particular resonance. He was suffering isolation and deprivation in prison, from which he had no hope of release." The fan in me is optimistic the Orange will win. However, my negativity comes from my intellect. I am trying to look at our team without any illusions of fandom.

Most people on a sports forum will sometimes speak with their heart and not just their head.

Definitely the first-ever Gramsci reference on Syracusefan. Nice.

I am feeling a little dark. The last time Syracuse lost two home games to unranked teams was in 1968.

I may be one of the most negative people on this board, but geez...can't you all just enjoy the next month of basketball? Let's worry about who goes where after the season is definitively over.

I am feeling a little dark. The last time Syracuse lost two home games to unranked teams was in 1968.

You sure? I'm thinking that 2008, 1999, or 1997 enjoyed that feat.

As wonderful as your intellect clearly is, you might want to consider a different passtime than spewing out rubbish on a fan message board :noidea:

No, your pessimism stems from the fact that you believe that the sky is falling.

Indeed, and if the sky is falling on the Cuse basketball program, then 90% of the programs in the country are at full fledged Defcom 1.

This descent is troubling, no doubt, but big picture is really quite incredible. The last 2 years, with the FF, the ACC move, the Duke rivalry, the 25-0 start, etc. have really elevated Syracuse to a higher place in the college basketball world. Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky are at a higher level than the rest (UCLA if you choose to go back, but not if you look at history + current status combined). After that comes an elite second tier that includes Michigan State, Cuse and Louisville, maybe 2-3 others I am forgetting (UConn has turned in their key and checked out of this hotel). Any other program in the country would change positions in a second. And the beat keeps going...with the big recruits en route and on the radar. If Joseph-Cooney-McCollough-Roberson-Rak is cause for concern, life is good. Its Friday night Dave, not "only 3 days until Monday," cheers.

Some of us have been saying this most of the season about both Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant.
They both need at least one more year.
First...let's hope Jerami gets healthy.
The good news is, whatever decision it ends up being, we will be OK.
We have never really been crippled by early defections, many times we get better the following year.

If Ennis and Grant leave, we're a 20-10 kind of team next year. On the bubble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom