Want the good news?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Want the good news??

moqui said:
doesn't explain the low turnover percentage, though

If he forces some breakouts or even attempts some easier looks, he turns it over 2-3 more times a game. Not hard to see.

If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.
FWIW Trevor averages 2 more points per game than Andy's junior year. 3% better shooter from 3pt, too.

If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.

If Ennis and Grant come back I think the offense will be pretty good, have to figure Grants jumper will improve, I am going to be optimistic and say that Cooney will have a better year, and if Coleman can stay healthy, have to figure he will give you a better scoring option at the 5.

I am talking next year. Why? Because we can return ennis grant and cooney.
last year cooney, rak, grant, baye no scoring.
this year. keita,rak,dajuan,gbinije,roberson,bj,patterson no scoring.

Next year if ennis and grant return, we return 3 guys in double figures, gbinije, rak, dajuan as upperclassmen, Roberson bj and patterson(one of them will step up alot more) and add one of the best freshmen in the country in Mccullough on top of joseph and chino. I think our prospects are better. Maybe no 2 go to guys like ennis and fair, but most likely atleast 2 scorers deeper then we are this year with jerami.

I Also expect our on the ball defense to be better as our best forward can rest more to play more aggressive d, and gbinije to step into a better ball pressure role making us better up top.

Last edited:
I am talking next year. Why? Because we can return ennis grant and cooney.
last year cooney, rak, grant, baye no scoring.
this year. keita,rak,dajuan,gbinije,roberson,bj,patterson no scoring.

Next year if ennis and grant return, we return 3 guys in double figures, gbinije, rak, dajuan as upperclassmen, Roberson bj and patterson(one of them will step up alot more) and add one of the best freshmen in the country in Mccullough on top of joseph and chino. I think our prospects are better. Maybe no 2 go to guys like ennis and fair, but most likely atleast 2 scorers deeper then we are this year with jerami.
What's the deal with Chino? Does he play the same as Baye?

That should just about end all the Ennis to the NBA talk. He's. not there yet, wasn't there yet, and barring a miraculous offensive turnaround that gets us to Dallas, won't get there yet.

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...

not saying he'll go, but that hasn't stopped NBA GM's from being dumb enough to pick a player they shouldn't

Pat Kelly said:
What's the deal with Chino? Does he play the same as Baye?

I believe he has better hands. I think. Good rebounder. But he's not a scorer. It's a requirement that JB has one ineffective scoring center on the team that other teams don't have to guard.

Cooney's biggest problem is he can't shoot with a hand in his face. Give him time he could develop that.

Andy could also knock down his 3's by this point...

If he forces some breakouts or even attempts some easier looks, he turns it over 2-3 more times a game. Not hard to see.
but in creating more possessions, the percentage may not change appreciably

percentages normalize for pace

That should just about end all the Ennis to the NBA talk. He's. not there yet, wasn't there yet, and barring a miraculous offensive turnaround that gets us to Dallas, won't get there yet.

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...
And here I was thinking the good news is that my expectations for this team can't possibly get any lower than losing their next 3 games

FWIW Trevor averages 2 more points per game than Andy's junior year. 3% better shooter from 3pt, too.
On Andy's team you had 5 players in double figures and Rick at 8.3 in 17 conference games Andy played 472 minutes with 180 pts. Trevor in 16 games played 560 minutes with 185 pts. Conference shooting percentages were Andy 63-152 for .414 FGPCT, 48-124 for .387 3FGPCT against .372, and .325. Against tougher competition Andy performed much better, even though he wasn't one of the first 3 options.

On Andy's team you had 5 players in double figures and Rick at 8.3 in 17 conference games Andy played 472 minutes with 180 pts. Trevor in 16 games played 560 minutes with 185 pts. Conference shooting percentages were Andy 63-152 for .414 FGPCT, 48-124 for .387 3FGPCT against .372, and .325. Against tougher competition Andy performed much better, even though he wasn't one of the first 3 options.

Therein could lie the current problem with Cooney. Other teams can focus on him a little more than they did with Andy, and for a stretch they certainly have.

This was the exact same reason that Jose Calderon had great A/TO ratios for the Raptors. He was a good point but his value was overblown because of this ratio.

A Raptor fan once created a fake photo of Calderon accepting a plaque from Stern called "Most Dribbles Ever in an NBA season".

He wasn't a hog but he would just hold the ball up and be so conservative, that the offence was a total jump shot offence (often mid and long 2's, which defences try to get anyway), and he would get assists because a player had no choice but to shoot as the clock was running low.

Not to say Ennis has been bad... but it is something he needs to work on.

Interesting take. I like it.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get crazy.

Andy's third year in the program was his redshirt year (2008). He came into that season a career 37% shooter (34% from three) and not much of a defender.

In his fourth year, while improved, he'd play a lot of minutes as a reserve small forward, where he struggled defensively.

Trevor's assist numbers stink. His inability to finish at the rim is disappointing (though I think it's fatigue-related; either way, it's something Rautins never did consistently). But there aren't a lot of distinctions that can be drawn between the two right now. Cooney isn't a full three years into his career. Developmentally he has a long way to go, just like Rautins did at this stage.

cuseguy said:
I believe he has better hands. I think. Good rebounder. But he's not a scorer. It's a requirement that JB has one ineffective scoring center on the team that other teams don't have to guard.

How could he not have better hands? :eek:

Ennis wasn't going anywhere before the swoon and isn't going now. The W - L record really has no baring on his draft stock and while being steady throughout the season really hasn't had any peaks and valleys to make his stock go up or down. When it comes down to it he is too slow and not strong enough for his size. I personally think he caps out as a pick in the 20s in the first or a second round pick. I'm not discrediting him at all as I think he is an excellent player but the NBA talk has just been foolish in regards to him.

Not much of a secret.

To be fair to Cooney he is tied for first in the ACC in steals, I'd say he plays solid defense.

Tyler is great but has some holes to his game. So yeah I would think he would be back. Depending what happens with the back, Grant might also return particularly if GMs have any suspicion it is a chronic problem.

I think Grant would be drafted but he's has one and done written all over him. I thought Kris Joseph was awesome and he barely competed in the NBA. Grant may have more potential, but his game this year was not as good as K-Jo in my opinion.

SWFLCUSE said:
To be fair to Cooney he is tied for first in the ACC in steals, I'd say he plays solid defense.
steals can be an incrdibly overrated stat fwiw.

WE ARE A MOTHER FREAKING 3 SEED AT WORST AND PEOPLE ARE TALKING NEXT YEAR!?!?!

Gee, it looks like the way this team is playing now they may lose the first or second round of the NCAA. It's hard for me to think anything that has happened before the last 4 games is meaningful at this point.

690West said:
Hmmm. Tell me more
I can't tell if you're being serious or not but steals (and blocks) are more often than not about a gamble that can put a player out of position. In a defense that requires positioning. So it's not the steal itself that's overrated, it's the mindset it creates. Cooneys steals are not a good indicator of his d positioning/closeouts/etc. how many times have u seen rak gamble for a block leaving the whole back line exposed? A guy like mcw was a freak because he could gamble and recover with his frame. Cooney and Ennis can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom