Want the good news?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Want the good news??

Why all the negativity about Ennis? He played reasonably well tonight. We only had 4 guys who could score all year. Grant is out and Cooney has totally gone into the tank since the ND game. He's shooting <20% from 3 since that game. Two guys can't carry the whole team every game. IMO both Ennis and Grant will be back next season. This board is way over rating Grant. What position is he playing in the NBA? He isn't big enough to play the 4 against 250 lb guys and he doesn't have the offensive skills to play the 3. He needs to develop 3 position skills and I'm sure NBA GM's know it.

They both need to return. However, I doubt both return. Grant is gone-zo unless the back injury drops him out of the first round.

We're in serious trouble if TE, Grant and Rak all leave. I don't think Rak leaves but you never know.

A good ballhandler like Kaleb Joseph who can get to the rim will help everyone play better. Ennis is having to do too much now. Having a guy like Joseph give quality minutes and Ennis more rest will make this backcourt even better.

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...

Turnovers have been down for everyone pretty much across college b'ball. Even when we were rolling and he was averaging about 1.2 TOs a game, he was amazingly only third in the ACC in TO/game and A/TO ratio. When I checked last, 5 TOs/game separated the top team (UVa) from the bottom (FSU). UVa was averaging an amazing 8/game and FSU about 13. I remember in years past, it wasn't unusual for a team or two at the bottom of the league tables in the BE to average 20-plus a game.

The low number of TOs Ennis had were impressive but not as impressive as we might have imagined it to be when you looked beyond SU.

Ennis is the bright spot - we just got zero production from Cooney, Rak, Keita, Roberson and Benejay

The dirty little secret is that the reason for the low turnover count is the lack of pace to his game. He needs seasoning and will get there...

This was the exact same reason that Jose Calderon had great A/TO ratios for the Raptors. He was a good point but his value was overblown because of this ratio.

A Raptor fan once created a fake photo of Calderon accepting a plaque from Stern called "Most Dribbles Ever in an NBA season".

He wasn't a hog but he would just hold the ball up and be so conservative, that the offence was a total jump shot offence (often mid and long 2's, which defences try to get anyway), and he would get assists because a player had no choice but to shoot as the clock was running low.

Not to say Ennis has been bad... but it is something he needs to work on.

Whether we are loaded or not, I imagine we'll see more of the same. Playing 5.5 in the 2nd half and unmet expectations in February. I hate talk of next year before this year is over.
Unmet expectations? How many games did u have us pegged for this year?

Why all the negativity about Ennis? He played reasonably well tonight. We only had 4 guys who could score all year. Grant is out and Cooney has totally gone into the tank since the ND game. He's shooting <20% from 3 since that game. Two guys can't carry the whole team every game. IMO both Ennis and Grant will be back next season. This board is way over rating Grant. What position is he playing in the NBA? He isn't big enough to play the 4 against 250 lb guys and he doesn't have the offensive skills to play the 3. He needs to develop 3 position skills and I'm sure NBA GM's know it.

he played really well... but 1 could make an argument that his idiotic dunk attempt (instead of getting 2 points) and subsequent 2 missed ft's ultimately cost us the game.

FREE THROWS.

he played really well... but 1 could make an argument that his idiotic dunk attempt (instead of getting 2 points) and subsequent 2 missed ft's ultimately cost us the game.

FREE THROWS.
Maybe but he he did have a couple of nice steals. Or it could be the other 7 missed FT's during the game as well.

It's funny I saw MCW struggle even more than this last yeast at the same point in the season. This is becoming a pattern for JB coached teams. It's interesting until 5 games a to his lack of so called pace wasn't a problem. Sorry but I'm not buying it Last year SU had the same lack of pace. Are you also saying MCW needed more seasoning?

I think Tyler's only problem is that he's beat up and the the opposing coaches know how to defend JBs system

While I think Ennis could still be a lottery pick this year, comparing MCW and Ennis in terms of prospects and in terms of pace is just silly. I don't know what our pace metrics were last year, but MCW easily pushed the tempo more than Ennis. They aren't remotely close in terms of that. The irony is that Ennis has been pushing the tempo more as he's started to struggle more.

But in terms of actual NBA prospects, MCW was a great prospect. Ennis probably projects to be a backup PG or a bottom-tier starter, while MCW always had All-Star potential if he put it all together.

Maybe but he he did have a couple of nice steals. Or it could be the other 7 missed FT's during the game as well.

absolutely... cant argue with you that there were other bone head plays and other missed ft's and other missed shots.

What winning percentage did you have us pegged for against two of the worst teams in the league?
What's your point? Teams change all the time. a month ago UNC was the worst team in the acc. You're never as good as your best win or as bad as your worst loss. We're still 26-4...bettering everyone's expectations...when the season began.

anglerman said:
It's funny I saw MCW struggle even more than this last yeast at the same point in the season. This is becoming a pattern for JB coached teams. It's interesting until 5 games a to his lack of so called pace wasn't a problem. Sorry but I'm not buying it Last year SU had the same lack of pace. Are you also saying MCW needed more seasoning?

I think Tyler's only problem is that he's beat up and the the opposing coaches know how to defend JBs system

The difference between Tyler's NBA potential and MCWs is significant. The NBA is about size angles and vision. 6-6 PGs are unbelievably rare.
If you don't have size, you need range and speed.

I never said MCW needed more seasoning. In fact I spent most of last year defending his NBA potential to those who were focusing on other things. And while people here this year have been projecting Ennis as an lottery pick, I've been trying to put the brakes on such talk.

I've been pretty consistent both years.

The difference between Tyler's NBA potential and MCWs is significant. The NBA is about size angles and vision. 6-6 PGs are unbelievably rare.
If you don't have size, you need range and speed.

I never said MCW needed more seasoning. In fact I spent most of last year defending his NBA potential to those who were focusing on other things. And while people here this year have been projecting Ennis as an lottery pick, I've been trying to put the brakes on such talk.

I've been pretty consistent both years.
I'm not referencing what you may have said about MCW. I'm simply stating that his pace at this pint last year was horrendous. MCW want doing anything well and SU was even worse offensively. I think MCW was playing far worse than Ennis is right now. So I don't see why his NBA stock would suddenly be lower than it was 5 games a go.

WE ARE A MOTHER FREAKING 3 SEED AT WORST AND PEOPLE ARE TALKING NEXT YEAR!?!?!

Because the way we are playing we are a great candidate to be the highest seed upset this season. BC, Ga Tech and the teams that we have just barely beat of late aren't even going to make the tournament. We are not going be seeded highly enough to get a really crappy automatic qualifier at the rate we are dropping and its been a while since we've beaten a tournament caliber team.

A good ballhandler like Kaleb Joseph who can get to the rim will help everyone play better. Ennis is having to do too much now. Having a guy like Joseph give quality minutes and Ennis more rest will make this backcourt even better.
I wonder if we see Ennis and Joseph together next year for stretches, especially if Cooney doesn't shoot it better.

If anything Ennis has shown he can score the ball if he is asked too. imo the last few games have only raised his stock.

still think he comes back, but it's not because he is playing bad. he is the only one playing at a consistent high level

Its been pretty obvious all along that Ennis wasn't ready made for the NBA. A smaller, slower kid that isn't a great shooter is not the type to be leaving after 1 season. His crunch time play was basically the reason his NBA "stock" was so high.

His turnover rate has been so low for the same reason the offense was considered "very good" for much of the year. Slowing it down reduces the numbers of possessions and chances to mess up. When Cooney was hitting earlier and Grant was getting putbacks, the offense seemed much better. Unfortunately, its been pretty gross all season.

doesn't explain the low turnover percentage, though

Open shots vs bad or contested. Debate?

I am seeing lots of both out there the past month. Today and against UVA I didn't see that many open shots. We had some which we naturally missed but I am seeing so many contested and difficult shots. You're not going to win that way. Certainly not against a big dog. So to those who say it is about making shots I am just not seeing that many out there to make. An even worse prognosis for a team who can't shoot.

How is UNC is doing it? Are the combined talents of Paige/McAdoo/Tokoto better at creating offense off the bounce to make plays for themselves or others?

If Ennis comes back either BJ or Joseph better be in the lineup or the offense will still be bad. Trevor has been in the program for 3 years, and still is nothing but a shooter, by the time Andy was in his 3rd year of playing he could shoot, pass, and play defense, was an integral part of a good offense, with a number of good scorer's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom