Was told to sit down again - really? | Syracusefan.com

Was told to sit down again - really?

chakka3421

All Conference
I just don't get it - I was considerate mostly but on 3rd down defense & after offensive TDs I would stand up and cheer. People started yelling at me after about our third TD to sit down. Looks like ill have to move again.

I wish the people in charge of the video screens - who I believe is IMG sports, not SU athletics that run it, would re-educate our fans on when to cheer, stand and get loud. After years of terrible football, seems like our fans need lessons on how to be good football fans.

Go Orange!

Are those people still going to games?? Jeez, they must be about 120 years old now. Or did they reproduce?

That is like telling people to sit down at a rock concert. You are correct and they are wrong. period. Tell them to exercise the disappointment option - go home and watch on ESPN3.

It's a sporting event... Stand up and cheer... You are in the right... There is no way they are going to put down their knitting and do anything about it. I thought yesterday's game was a good time with a fun crowd... Small but all the same season ticket faces around us. Also it was great to see a ton if kids running around enjoying the game. Go CUSE

Dude this happened to.me at the penn state game! My buddy and I were loud having an awsome time in the syrfan section, and some dude kills our buzz! Why even go if your not gonna be loud and have fun? But he did ask us to sit nicely *sort of but still.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

That issue is non negotiable for me. You have EVERY RIGHT to stand up and cheer, specifically 3rd down D, a great play (offensive or defensive), or a TD. Seriously, do not give in when asked. Be polite in response but keep on keeping on. I've been asked before and there is no way I'm letting some curmudgeon try to rein in my enjoyment of the game.

Come to 335. There was no one, I repeat no one, above row r. Not a soul. I stood all game.

I always wear my smoking jacket and bring a pipe to the games so if you ever stand in my way again I'll get the maitre'd to kick your butt out of the sporting arena and to that I say good day you ruffian...I SAID GOOD DAY!

Stand when you want or feel like it or feel its appropriate. That's your call.

But then please never complain about attendance. In my mind you have forfeited your right to do that.

If you have people around you complaining about your behavior and you just keep doing what you feel like doing it seem pretty likely that you are degrading their enjoyment of the game. And that leads to these people going home and saying "never again". They just don't buy tickets.

And then we hear the whining about poor support of the program by the locals. You can't have it both ways.

That is like telling people to sit down at a rock concert. You are correct and they are wrong. period. Tell them to exercise the disappointment option - go home and watch on ESPN3.

Tell them to complain to Dr. Gross and see where that gets them. Gross and Shafer want exuberant fans. I can understand if someone has a bum leg, bad back, etc., and can't keep getting up and down, but if they are just plain lazy, too bad. It's a football game. In a large stadium. If you don't like people standing in front of you, buy your tickets earlier and get seats near the rail.

This argument has been going on for too many years. I guarantee that you don't hear about this kind of crap in the SEC, Big 12, PAC, BiG, or even other ACC stadiums. Syracuse has a distinctly different clientele, and there are probably many reasons for it. Regardless, it's time for that to change. Time for SU to sell 300 Level "Sit Zones" and put all the Opera fans together.

You should have yelled back and told whoever it was...that when you stand and cheer, that is a not so subtle hint that everyone who is a fan should as well.

If they said that to me I would do as described above...If they said it again, I would stand the rest of the game and tell them to F OFF. Come and make me sit.

last year people would stand up in front of me,so then I would stand up also. So this clown behind me would scream at me to sit down and he was younger than me so I would just tell him he should have bought season tickets better than mine. He wasn't there yesterday and DCCuse was in his old seat for a quarter. Priceless moment as I did notice.

It's not my business to tell people what they can and can't do when they bought the tickets with "their" own money.

Now if I bought the tickets......

Last edited:

A college football game is not a rock concert. The crowd contains a range of people with varying degrees of interest in the game.

The disappointment option? That is exactly what they will do. Think that through, Crusty.

You should have yelled back and told whoever it was...that when you stand and cheer, that is a not so subtle hint that everyone who is a fan should as well.

If they said that to me I would do as described above...If they said it again, I would stand the rest of the game and tell them to F OFF. Come and make me sit.

No doubt powered by a bunch of pre-game and some in-game beers.

I agree with trying at all costs to be considerate but people asking others to sit is ridiculous. I want to enjoy the game the way I want to and I am sure they do as well. Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team. Unless you are in a wheelchair or have some ailment that prevents you from standing, you should stand and cheer.

There are separate sections for people with ailments and wheelchairs so they can enjoy the game in their own way, God Bless them. I am pretty sure that section is not behind me or most on this board.

I wholeheartedly support your right to stand. I do plenty of standing on big plays. I have often wondered what the point of standing is though. Obviously, a loud crowd can pump up the team, but can players actually tell if we are sitting or standing? I'll concede that standing can increase one's ability to project slightly, but overall I think standing is pretty pointless.

I agree with trying at all costs to be considerate but people asking others to sit is ridiculous. I want to enjoy the game the way I want to and I am sure they do as well. Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team. Unless you are in a wheelchair or have some ailment that prevents you from standing, you should stand and cheer.

There are separate sections for people with ailments and wheelchairs so they can enjoy the game in their own way, God Bless them. I am pretty sure that section is not behind me or most on this board.

Which is it?

"I agree with trying at all costs to be considerate"

Or

"If they said that to me I would do as described above...If they said it again, I would stand the rest of the game and tell them to F OFF. Come and make me sit."

Now supposed on of the sitters said to you, "Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team."

What would your response be? My way is the right way?

Which is it?

"I agree with trying at all costs to be considerate"

Or

"If they said that to me I would do as described above...If they said it again, I would stand the rest of the game and tell them to F OFF. Come and make me sit."

Now supposed on of the sitters said to you, "Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team."

What would your response be? My way is the right way?

The considerate part was when I stand it is a subtle hint for them to stand. That's considerate enough for people who ask others to sit so they don't have to stand. I am not telling them to sit, they are choosing to, I am not.

Now supposed on of the sitters said to you, "Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team." I am not asking them to do anything that I recall, but it is also not going to stop me from standing and cheering. What don't you understand about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom