Was told to sit down again - really? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Was told to sit down again - really?

I'm in lower levels of section 129, many older people with me, but we stand and cheer. Have talked to many of them, and they feel if all you're going to do is sit, stay home and watch on TV, let someone who is a fan have the seat. I don't stand the whole game, but on certain defensive 3rd down plays, the fans need to make a difference. I'm one of the older people at 67.

I'm in lower levels of section 129, many older people with me, but we stand and cheer. Have talked to many of them, and they feel if all you're going to do is sit, stay home and watch on TV, let someone who is a fan have the seat. I don't stand the whole game, but on certain defensive 3rd down plays, the fans need to make a difference. I'm one of the older people at 67.

^^^ This

I doubt that is true. Otherwise, why have seats in the stadium.

I stood for the entire game at Auburn several years ago because the entire crowd was standing. It's 'normal' in the southeast at college football games.

So early in the game during one of the 3rd downs (I believe it was one early where we called the TO on defense) a guy behind me tapped me on shoulder and was like can't you guys sit down (directed towards me and my brother).
I <> gave him a thumbs down and told him politely he stunk as a fan (this exchange wasn't heated we were half laughing and smiling as we spoke, but it was just rubbing me the wrong way totally thinking about this thread at that moment). His friend seemed to agree with me and was like "and he even played here." Funny thing is while watching the McPherson tribute on the big screen who do I see but this guy among the guys out there next to Don. I'm not sure who he was but thought it was kind of funny.

You may have just encapsulated all that is wrong with SU football. Wow. What a sad commentary that ex players are a) sitting in the corner of the end zone, and b) not rousing the crowd.

Every now and again I want to sit as well, but not 3rd and long.

I was at the UF/Miami game earlier this year. Everybody stood the entire time. I would be perfectly fine with standing the entire time. It makes me feel like I am a more important part of the game if that makes sense.

Why is football decorum different from basketball decorum? Seems to me that there are appropriate times to stand and cheer at both. It also seems that standing for most of the game is unreasonable if the people behind you can't see if you do. I'm not sure but I suspect that even at he major venues, the majority sit the majority of the time. I'll check that out on TV this coming weekend. I think there are a lot of generalizations being tossed around as fact that simply are not true.
Sometimes I sit, sometimes I stand...depends on the situation. However, what drives me nuts is when someone in front of me is sitting, and then jumps up mid-play (I miss the play) and does this a lot during the game. We had a guy doing this (Clemson game) and someone behind me asked the guy to sit down. The standing guy replied with something like "be a better fan and stand". Funny thing is, they guy behind me (and me) have had season tickets for about 20 years while the Mr. Standing guy just bought tickets for that game and I'd be willing to bet he won't be at another. Before anyone whines about me...I didn't say a word to Mr. Stander.

This is the answer make friends and talk to those around you particularly those behind you, and especially if they are older than you. If you can get the people directly behind you to stand with you (at appropriate times) then the people behind them will also. No man can be an island.

I love the litmus test for "real fans". More cowbell please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom