Was told to sit down again - really? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was told to sit down again - really?

last year people would stand up in front of me,so then I would stand up also. So this clown behind me would scream at me to sit down and he was younger than me so I would just tell him he should have bought season tickets better than mine. He wasn't there yesterday and DCCuse was in his old seat for a quarter. Priceless moment as I did notice.

It's not my business to tell people what they can and can't do when they bought the tickets with "their" own money.

Now if I bought the tickets......

Let's see if I understand this.

Season ticket holders from last year aren't there this year. And that's a good thing?

And you were standing because you have to because the people in front of you had chosen the exercise their (God-given) Right to Stand?

That's coming across loud and clear.

What's your position on attendance or the lack of attendance?

I was at the game, were you? That is my position. Try to call out someone else.

I agree that members of this forum should be sensitive to other fans' complaints about excessive standing.

It's obvious everybody who takes time to post on this forum wants the fanbase to return to what it's been in the program's glory days.

Something as simple as making sure a sitter can lean one way and still see the field goes a long way in making both parties have a good experience.

I've been on both sides of this issue - as a rowdier fan in a symphony section and an adult w/ a small child in a rowdier section. In both situations a little civility (and a beverage purchase) did wonders in enhancing all parties' enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

A college football game is not a rock concert. The crowd contains a range of people with varying degrees of interest in the game.

The disappointment option? That is exactly what they will do. Think that through, Crusty.

Those with varying degrees of interest in the game, may need to be taught how to act at a big-time college football game. Before big defensive plays, the crowd often stands. During/after big and exciting plays(sacks, interceptions, long run, long pass, touchdowns), the crowd stands out of excitement. That's the way it is.

Season ticket holders from last year aren't there this year. And that's a good thing?

And you were standing because you have to because the people in front of you had chosen the exercise their (God-given) Right to Stand?

Are you really trying to defend people who sit at football games?

If this was a southern school fan board, the sitters would never utter a word for fear of being run out of town.

If you want to sit at a game, earn enough $$ to buy a luxury box and do what you want.

Season ticket holders buy tickets, don't buy tickets, change seats, etc. for a variety of reasons, none of which are my concern. Nor do I have the ability to influence what they do. If you are trying to say that "standers" in front of them are the reason they didn't renew...then I ask this, how would you know? Maybe they moved, maybe they can't afford it any more.

Are you a sitter?

The considerate part was when I stand it is a subtle hint for them to stand. That's considerate enough for people who ask others to sit so they don't have to stand. I am not telling them to sit, they are choosing to, I am not.

Now supposed on of the sitters said to you, "Just don't try to tell me how to cheer on my team." I am not asking them to do anything that I recall, but it is also not going to stop me from standing and cheering. What don't you understand about this.

I understand you perfectly I think. I especially liked the part about inviting them to make you sit if they don't like it.

Let me see if I have it right. Your position is: I have a right to stand. When I stand people behind me should get the (subtle) hint that its time for them to stand. If they don't like it, they can lump it. I am the judge of when its appropriate to stand. If they ask me more than once, I am going to stand the rest of the game for spite to teach them a lesson for complaining. And if they don't like it, they can try and do something about it.

Have I got that right?

Those with varying degrees of interest in the game, may need to be taught how to act at a big-time college football game. Before big defensive plays, the crowd often stands. During/after big and exciting plays(sacks, interceptions, long run, long pass, touchdowns), the crowd stands out of excitement. That's the way it is.

But some of our friends on here report they stood the entire game ... a 54-0 rout of a FBS opponent. Is that excessive? If someone behind them asked them to sit down during a time-out, would they have been justified?

Now about this fan re-education camp. will you be in charge of the curriculum?

yup...and just maybe it was you who decided not to renew the tickets.

or the guy had to rake some leaves that fell from last season...don't know or care

I understand you perfectly I think. I especially liked the part about inviting them to make you sit if they don't like it.

Let me see if I have it right. Your position is: I have a right to stand. When I stand people behind me should get the (subtle) hint that its time for them to stand. If they don't like it, they can lump it. I am the judge of when its appropriate to stand. If they ask me more than once, I am going to stand the rest of the game for spite to teach them a lesson for complaining. And if they don't like it, they can try and do something about it.

Have I got that right?

Let me guess, you weren't at the game but want to start some kind of dust up with me.

I understand you perfectly I think. I especially liked the part about inviting them to make you sit if they don't like it. I seem to recall that Derrick Coleman and a whole host of other SU legends and alums did the same exact thing during SU's basketball run to the final four from his radio interview on "Upon Further review". Did you have the same opinion about them or are they above reproach? Did you call in to tell them how inconsiderate they were.

Cheer on the team your way, I will cheer them on in mine. I will stand and sit as I choose to as will others. Not sure why you are trying to start something with me.

That is all.

Are you really trying to defend people who sit at football games?

If this was a southern school fan board, the sitters would never utter a word for fear of being run out of town.

If you want to sit at a game, earn enough $$ to buy a luxury box and do what you want.

Season ticket holders buy tickets, don't buy tickets, change seats, etc. for a variety of reasons, none of which are my concern. Nor do I have the ability to influence what they do. If you are trying to say that "standers" in front of them are the reason they didn't renew...then I ask this, how would you know? Maybe they moved, maybe they can't afford it any more.

Are you a sitter?

I am a person interested in SU expanding the number of tickets they sell. I believe that loutish behavior on the part of some fans is an inhibitor to that.

I'm not a sitter, but I generally bring people to the game with me who are less interested in the game than I am. I know how hard it is to get them to come to another game if they haven't enjoyed the first one they attended. I believe that many potential ticket buyers are in this position.

And please, don't ask me to prove that people who have unpleasant experiences at games don't renew their season tickets or buy single game ones.

By the way, Syracuse is not in the deep South or Texas.

Have I got that right?

Were you at the game? Are you a sitter?

No one should ever be made to feel uncomfortable for standing up at a college football game. If you can climb up the hill to get inside the dome, you are capable of standing up. If you complain, it is because you are lazy and would prefer to not stand up. It's not a rock concert, it's better when done right. If you disagree, you've never been to a college game outside of Syracuse and you don't understand how it all works.

Just to be clear - I was not "excessively" standing, just big plays, TDs & 3rd down Ds.

The more I think about it, the more I think our fans need to be re-educated on when to stand and cheer for our team! The video boards would help - don't they do that for basketball?

yup...and just maybe it was you who decided not to renew the tickets.

or the guy had to rake some leaves that fell from last season...don't know or care

Fine. Whatever.

But my point is that you cannot complain about attendance ever. OK?

Fine. Whatever.

But my point is that you cannot complain about attendance ever. OK?

I guess I have to ask - what is the connection between the attendance and standing (non-excessively)?

But some of our friends on here report they stood the entire game ... a 54-0 rout of a FBS opponent. Is that excessive? If someone behind them asked them to sit down during a time-out, would they have been justified?

Now about this fan re-education camp. will you be in charge of the curriculum?

Is it excessive? Depends.

I'll use my own experiences...last year I went to a couple Bills games. I'm not a Bills fan, really didn't care about the outcome but just wanted to watch and enjoy the game. One game I sat in the upper level along the sideline...older crowd, everyone sat for the most part, but got up after TD's and some of the more excitable fans jumped out of excitement during...exciting plays! The fans were into the game in that section, but more interested in discussing the plays, players, coaching moves, etc. than getting chants going and going nuts. However, they got up and were rowdy when it made sense to do so. As a nonfan, I went with the flow of those around me who were regulars and fans.

Another game, I was in the lower level behind the end zone and once we got there, we realized that section stands the entire game. Chanting, banging on the bleacher backs in front of them, basically going nuts the entire game. Given that I'm not even a Bills fan, I would've rather just sat and watched, but I would've been extremely out of line if I tried to get people to "sit down so I can see". I stood and went nuts too. Again, going with the flow rather than being a moron and arguing about something ridiculous. Made the game more enjoyable.

Going to a football game with the expectation of others around you being quiet and sitting down all game is just not reasonable.

And yes, I'll be happy to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing at Cuse games to the clueless ones as long as they areactually interested in learning how to act and not in arguing and being a disagreeable moron.

I just don't get it - I was considerate mostly but on 3rd down defense & after offensive TDs I would stand up and cheer. People started yelling at me after about our third TD to sit down. Looks like ill have to move again.

I wish the people in charge of the video screens - who I believe is IMG sports, not SU athletics that run it, would re-educate our fans on when to cheer, stand and get loud. After years of terrible football, seems like our fans need lessons on how to be good football fans.

Go Orange!
Next weekend bring an extra beer up with you and give it to said curmudgeon with an advanced apology for the behavior that is about to commence. You will build some goodwill, he won't think you are such an a-hole and he may actually stand up a bit more with you. Kill 'em with kindness!

I am a person interested in SU expanding the number of tickets they sell. I believe that loutish behavior on the part of some fans is an inhibitor to that.

I'm not a sitter, but I generally bring people to the game with me who are less interested in the game than I am. I know how hard it is to get them to come to another game if they haven't enjoyed the first one they attended. I believe that many potential ticket buyers are in this position.

And please, don't ask me to prove that people who have unpleasant experiences at games don't renew their season tickets or buy single game ones.

If they are not interested in the game, then they shouldn't care if someone stands in front of them. They can play with their iPhones and watch the game on there if they have interest.

I also am interested in expanding the fan base and I generally tailgate with about 20 season ticket holders who buy extra season tickets specifically so we can bring others who do not have an opportunity/means to buy them or the time every Saturday to devote.

I am not in the SU AD's office or their marketing department. It is not my job to cultivate the fanbase or expand it. I do it because I love the team.

For me an unpleasant experience is being asked to sit at a D1 college football game when I don't feel I should or should have to.

It goes both ways Townie.

I just don't get it - I was considerate mostly but on 3rd down defense & after offensive TDs I would stand up and cheer. People started yelling at me after about our third TD to sit down. Looks like ill have to move again.

I wish the people in charge of the video screens - who I believe is IMG sports, not SU athletics that run it, would re-educate our fans on when to cheer, stand and get loud. After years of terrible football, seems like our fans need lessons on how to be good football fans.

Go Orange!

That sucks.

I had a pretty bad experience with being told to sit down in the Dome back in the Greggers years. I got chippy with this old beer gut of a man. What do you but yell at each other? Start swinging? Crap like this completely deflates the fan experience. Darrly Gross needs to get out of the luxury box, buy some tickets front row, 3rd deck, and stand the whole game.

Like you say, some fans need to be re-educated.

Stand when you want or feel like it or feel its appropriate. That's your call.

But then please never complain about attendance. In my mind you have forfeited your right to do that.

If you have people around you complaining about your behavior and you just keep doing what you feel like doing it seem pretty likely that you are degrading their enjoyment of the game. And that leads to these people going home and saying "never again". They just don't buy tickets.

And then we hear the whining about poor support of the program by the locals. You can't have it both ways.

You can't? Explain that to A&M who pack their stadium with 83,000 people standing and screaming for 4 quarters. By having a group of people complaining about people getting into the game you can also negatively affect attendance as well. Who wants to go to a game if they can't enjoy themselves and stand and cheer around a bunch of stiffs. I would rather have passionate fans then people who can't even stand up on 3rd down ... and they get plenty of those in other cities.

No it isn't ... and neither is Happy Valley but they don't seem to have this problem either ...

I think you're very, very wrong if you think rowdy behavior at the Dome is keeping people away. If anything, I think the boring, sterile environment keeps people away. It gets rowdy(and fun) like once a year now. And even that "rowdy" is in a good way. If I'm on the fence about going or being able to go to a game...I'm much more likely to do all I can to make it happen if I know the game is going to have a bigger, louder crowd. If it's one of those 35,000 dead crowds with a bunch of miserable stiffs around me? No thanks.

Have you been to an NFL game recently? The issues of fans being drunk before the game even starts, fights, etc...you're acting like that's commonplace at the Dome, and it really isn't especially compared to the closest alternatives for big time football, which around here is the NFL.

I think you're very, very wrong if you think rowdy behavior at the Dome is keeping people away. If anything, I think the boring, sterile environment keeps people away. It gets rowdy(and fun) like once a year now. And even that "rowdy" is in a good way. If I'm on the fence about going or being able to go to a game...I'm much more likely to do all I can to make it happen if I know the game is going to have a bigger, louder crowd.

Have you been to an NFL game recently? The issues of fans being drunk before the game even starts, fights, etc...you're acting like that's commonplace at the Dome, and it really isn't especially compared to the closest alternatives for big time football, which around here is the NFL.

THIS!

Just to be clear - I was not "excessively" standing, just big plays, TDs & 3rd down Ds.

The more I think about it, the more I think our fans need to be re-educated on when to stand and cheer for our team! The video boards would help - don't they do that for basketball?

People stand at games for three reasons:

1. To Release Tension - Standing at game is for some a tension-release mechanism. People get so wound up internally that they almost cannot bear to sit. I do the same thing at home when I watch a game along with a lot of pacing, throwing of throw pillows, etc. Some people have a lower level of impulse control. A little tension and they are out of their seats. And if they are good and drunk, they sometimes forget to sit down.

2. To Be Able to See - People sitting behind these who must exercise this tension release, standing is what they have to do to be able to see the game. Because these people don't have this built up tension, standing is more of an annoyance.

3. As a Matter of Form - They think they have to stand on 3rd Down on "D" because they see crowds do it on TV or whatever. That's the weakest of the three arguments for standing.

There appears to be a fourth reason bubbling up from this discussion that has to do with a "right to stand" and with a "that's what real fans do at real games"

My single point is this. If people behind you are complaining a lot about your standing you are making people unhappy and dissatisfied with their experience. Growing football attendance is a serious problem for the University. You are killing the program you say you love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom