Was told to sit down again - really? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Was told to sit down again - really?

I don't go to many road games, sorry to disappoint you...

I honestly would probably have had issues with all of those situations, especially since I bring my wife and kids to the games and so do my brothers/friends.

If I was by myself or with my buddies, I would think some were hysterical...

I generally knew the perps on those. :)

I am usually seeing Cuse on the road, so I am a bit picky when I see confrontation in the stands.

Link? So you are saying that Gross added 2 home games instead of 2 away games in the non-con schedule to offset FB ticket sales.

Not counting exhibitions...
2013-14 9 OOC in the dome
12-13 10 OOC in the Dome
11-12 10 OOC in the Dome

When were these games added 2016, 2017? seems to me we lost a game.

These were 2013 games, for sure.

They were looking to increase the number of OOC games played outside of the Dome in part to blunt the oft heard criticism that SU BB plays too many games in the Dome or in NY.

They had to change the plan to offset disappointing FB ticket sales. This also degraded the quality of the BB schedule because its harder to get good teams to play on the Dome.

Poor attendance is a huge problem. You seem to be doing you part to suppress it. Congratulations.

Actually, CuseOnly, what you are trying to do is change the subject or instead of arguing your point, you are trying to disqualify me as being able to comment.

It was you, after all, who suggested that someone who didn't like you standing should come down and make you sit. Right? That told me more that anything else you have said about who you are.

Some standing is fine. As I said, there are times when the internal tension becomes so strong you just cannot stand to sit. Crucial third downs. Fourth down attempts. SU Inside the 10. Long runs. I get it.

But jumping up on routine first downs, high-fiving and generally carrying on is a sign to me of the half-drunk or half-witted. What's the phrase? Act like you have been there before. Show some maturity and some awareness that you aren't the only person in the Universe that matters.

I realize that some attend college football games so they can pretend they are at Jordan-Hare watching Auburn. It's an opportunity in their mind to let it all hang out. After all, they paid for their ticket.

Just be aware that others might not see you in quite the same way you see yourself. They might see you as part of a generation who haven't been told quite enough to sit down and shut up by their parents, teachers and certainly not their drill instructors.

So, when you presented the Dome as a place where unruly fan behavior is commonplace and is scaring off families...you were simply talking out your ass? You haven't actually gone to games and witnessed this in recent years, right?

Let's just be clear on that. You don't really know what you're talking about when you suggest "drunken louts" are scaring off families.

If you want to stand from start to finish, get tickets at the back of a section. Otherwise have some consideration and awareness about what others around you are doing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I would agree...unless the culture of that section is one where everyone typically stands. Not sure we have any of those in the Dome except for the student section, but it would be nice if we did.

I think somebody wanting to stand on every single play, while nobody else does...that's not a very common situation or problem.

Miserable stiffs yelling at people who are standing when it makes sense to stand...that's more common. And that's a problem. It's a football game...deal with the excited fans better than screaming at them to sit down. Otherwise, stay on your couch because the live football environment is not for you.

So, when you presented the Dome as a place where unruly fan behavior is commonplace and is scaring off families...you were simply talking out your ass? You haven't actually gone to games and witnessed this in recent years, right?

Let's just be clear on that. You don't really know what you're talking about when you suggest "drunken louts" are scaring off families.

Let me try and make this simple for you.

If those behind you are constantly asking you to sit down then it seems pretty obvious you are degrading their game day experience. Is something about that unclear?

If you care about SU football attendance, it seems to me that you ought to not be behaving in a fashion that discourages those who are less passionate that you (or more able to control their emotions) from attending future games.

It's a pretty simple concept. But not for those who don't want to understand it.

Let's see if I understand this.

Season ticket holders from last year aren't there this year. And that's a good thing?

And you were standing because you have to because the people in front of you had chosen the exercise their (God-given) Right to Stand?

Stirring the pot as usual. Shocked, I'm not.

Stirring the pot as usual. Shocked, I'm not.

A slow day. It's almost too easy with this crowd.

Still, its interesting to see just how self-involved many are.

If those behind you are constantly asking you to sit down then it seems pretty obvious you are degrading their game day experience. Is something about that unclear?

If you care about SU football attendance, it seems to me that you ought to not be behaving in a fashion that discourages those who are less passionate that you (or more able to control their emotions) from attending future games.

It's a pretty simple concept. But not for those who don[;t want to understand it.

That hasn't happened to me very often at all. I think once, and that was a long time ago. I'm not degrading anyone's game day experience. I basically go with how the crowd is...if everyone in front of me is up, I'm up. Otherwise, I'm down. I have more fun at the game where we're up a lot.

I've addressed everything you've said to me, I believe. How come you can't answer a simple question? When was the last time you witnessed a lot of this drunken, loutish behavior at the Dome? You made the statement, so back it up.

Attending a live football game brings with it the expectation that there will be quite a few people there who yell and cheer and, MY GOD!...stand up! You're not at home on your couch, so don't go with the expectation that you're going to sit comfortably and undisturbed the whole time. It's a pretty simple concept. But not for those who don't want to understand it.

Too easy to do what? Come off as a miserable, disagreeable, jackass who makes things up and ducks and hides when called out on it?

In that case, I agree. It seems to come very easy to you.

What are you doing on the guy's lawn?

Sounds like a parental guidance problem.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Sounds like everyone in the world has problems except you, you know exactly how everything should be.

Good for you.

These were 2013 games, for sure.

They were looking to increase the number of OOC games played outside of the Dome in part to blunt the oft heard criticism that SU BB plays too many games in the Dome or in NY.

They had to change the plan to offset disappointing FB ticket sales. This also degraded the quality of the BB schedule because its harder to get good teams to play on the Dome.

Poor attendance is a huge problem. You seem to be doing you part to suppress it. Congratulations.

Why didn't you mention they "change the plan" when you used it as evidence to attendance? Not convenient for you to mention huh.

Convenient not to answer my questions either.

It's a pretty simple concept. But not for those who don't want to understand it.

A much more simple concept is for you to attend a game or 2 before you comment.

Good day Townie.

A much more simple concept is for you to attend a game or 2 before you comment.

Good day Townie.

If I never attended a single SU game, I would still be able to recognize boorish behavior.

The original post said he was standing on 3rd downs and after TDs. And you've expressed that you have a problem with that.

Frankly chief - fans like you are the problem. Period.

Please go root for Rutgers.

I don't understand how standing and being rowdy is a bad thing townie. The dome needs more energy plain and simple.

Somebody needs to tell those Seattle Seahawks fans to sit down and be quiet. What a disgrace, acting so boorish on national TV by doing all that yelling and cheering and high fiving. They must all be so self interested and foolish. If they don't cut it out, they'll scare all of the other fans off!

Damn, Townie, I would think by your intensity and tenacity in this thread you would be all for standing the entire game because that's basically what you are doing in this thread. You are killing my enjoyment of reading because you keep getting in my way of reading other responses... please SIT DOWN! :)

Interesting thread.

Been to plenty of games and concerts and such in my life. There is standing and cheering, and there is acting unhinged. The latter is really bad to be around (worse when you know the guy, a lot worse when you're there with guests and know the guy). And buying a ticket doesn't give one credence to act out of order. Conversely, I went to a Springsteen show in DC once where my whole section at Verizon sat. Bruce! So I just decided to get standing room floor from that point forward, problem solved.

Considering Wagner was a glorified practice, not sure how many big plays there were to get rowdy about. If it were VT or Clemson, prolly a different story.
How the f did an entire section sit at a Bruce show? Impossible!

I want to take my young kids to the games. They love sports. But it scares me honestly.

This thread has been interestin on a number of levels. Imo bayside and cherie got it right. I had never heard of the "stand your ground" generation before tonight.

Typical Townie72.

Also, typical townie attitude in Syracuse which is the problem. What can SU do for me to make football more fun, not what can I do.

Funny Mountain...what does "typical townie attitude" mean exactly? "Townies" show up to games and cheer, Townie72 does not yet he knows about the atmosphere, the boorish behavior, etc...

I would be willing to bet that 20K+ of the 26K that actually showed for the game on Saturday were "townies".

Or are you saying that "townies" are the only ones capable of boorish behavior? I assure you that is not the case, people with an "I'm better than you" attitude that look down on others are far worse.

AZOrange - I bring my young kids to the dome all the time, never had a problem. I think going to the dome is a great experience for children, just keep your kids away from the folks yelling for people to sit.

One of the worst threads ever. What.

Just use common frucking sense, don't be an arsehole when at the games, I stand when appropriate, sit when needed, seriously. Certain people will complain either way. To sit here and debate is ridiculous, who the bigger arsehole is.

People stand at games for three reasons:

1. To Release Tension - Standing at game is for some a tension-release mechanism. People get so wound up internally that they almost cannot bear to sit. I do the same thing at home when I watch a game along with a lot of pacing, throwing of throw pillows, etc. Some people have a lower level of impulse control. A little tension and they are out of their seats. And if they are good and drunk, they sometimes forget to sit down.

2. To Be Able to See - People sitting behind these who must exercise this tension release, standing is what they have to do to be able to see the game. Because these people don't have this built up tension, standing is more of an annoyance.

3. As a Matter of Form - They think they have to stand on 3rd Down on "D" because they see crowds do it on TV or whatever. That's the weakest of the three arguments for standing.

There appears to be a fourth reason bubbling up from this discussion that has to do with a "right to stand" and with a "that's what real fans do at real games"

My single point is this. If people behind you are complaining a lot about your standing you are making people unhappy and dissatisfied with their experience. Growing football attendance is a serious problem for the University. You are killing the program you say you love.

Wow, you are completely out of touch with what I think and what I do. That goes for my friends and family that attend games as well. Please never, ever attempt to speak for Syracuse fans ever again because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Your theory that people standing are contributing to poor attendance at games has a problem too. When there are 22K of people in a stadium that holds 49K, it means there are empty seats everywhere. If you happen to have bought seats behind a ruffian who dares to stand and cheer too much for your sensibilities, you can move to any of the 27K of empty seats nearby and fully enjoy watching the crowd with your butt on aluminum all game long.

The only area of the Dome that you could not easily move to an open area of seating was the student section (the frosh came out in force and the rest of the students also had a good showing; props to them for showing up).

It should be noted though that I saw a lot of punk student ruffians standing and cheering during the game, probably destroying the enjoyment of most of the other students behind them. Our future fan base will probably never recover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom