Washington Huskies | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

How would u compare our guards to KU, UK, Baylor, SH, Creighton, Nova, Butler, Auburn, MD, Mich State, Oregon, Dayton, BYU, Gonzaga etc.? To me it's not close. I understand that BB and JG are young and they'll get better. But we're talking now and not next year.

Subpar overall, but can shoot. Think both would be a solid 3% or so higher from 3 with Stewart.

Subpar overall, but can shoot. Think both would be a solid 3% or so higher from 3 with Stewart.

I would agree with you. Unfortunately, subpar guard play is not synonymous with a top ten ranking.

I would agree with you. Unfortunately, subpar guard play is not synonymous with a top ten ranking.

We’d have two first team all conference caliber players.

Id say top 25 at least.

We’d have two first team all conference caliber players.

Id say top 25 at least.

Best case is maybe bottom of the top 25 but nowhere near top ten as stated by some here. The defense is still mediocre and we would be no better than an average rebounding team. Just trying to keep it real. We didn't lose 14 games solely because of poor center play.

Stewart draws doubles which equals open 3’s, which equals much higher 3 point %’s.

We haven’t proven we can actually hit open 3s... I kid.

Btw Washington shoots 33.2% from 3 this year which is slightly better than SU at 32.9%.

But are their shooters as good as Buddy and Joe?

Stewart draws doubles which equals open 3’s, which equals much higher 3 point %’s.

He rarely passes the ball out of the double team though.

But are their shooters as good as Buddy and Joe?

Joe shoots around 32%. Are u saying he'd be materially higher with Stewart in the lineup? I don't see it. The part you're missing is that he is not all that effective in creating his own shot to get open to consistently make threes. These two are young and they'll get better but right now they're a below average backcourt when compared to teams in the top 25, particularly when defense is taken into account.

Joe shoots around 32%. Are u saying he'd be materially higher with Stewart in the lineup? I don't see it. The part you're missing is that he is not all that effective in creating his own shot to get open to consistently make threes. These two are young and they'll get better but right now they're a below average backcourt when compared to teams in the top 25, particularly when defense is taken into account.
Buddy wont get much better he has played a ton. Joe will improve but not much. These guys are solid but dont have the athleticism to get much better.

Buddy wont get much better he has played a ton. Joe will improve but not much. These guys are solid but dont have the athleticism to get much better.

Yeah that may be true. College hoops gets a little weaker year after year so comparatively they may get better plus experience will help as well. But I get your point.

I caught the first game of the 1987-88 season with SU against UNC that was on ESPNU the other day. When Matt Roe came in the game I couldn't help but think of how much he reminded me of Buddy.

Back in the day, Buddy and Joe would have been really nice complements to our stars. Because we have no stars, they're asked to be more than they can be. It's too bad.

If defenders have to spend their time dealing with an inside scorer, there will be more open shots for them. If the ball goes inside then out, he won't have to create his shot. You were quoting the Huskie's three point percentage, which was better than SUs (33.2%), but implying that with Stewart, we would shoot the same percentage. If our shooters are better than theirs, they would shoot better than Washington's percentage with Stewart. We were 36.9% through the first Boston College game this year. That plus a strong inside scorer would win a lot of the games that we've lost. But the opposition realized we didn't have that and moved up to cover the threes precisely because we didn't have an inside scorer.

If defenders have to spend their time dealing with an inside scorer, there will be more open shots for them. If the ball goes inside then out, he won't have to create his shot. You were quoting the Huskie's three point percentage, which was better than SUs (33.2%), but implying that with Stewart, we would shoot the same percentage. If our shooters are better than theirs, they would shoot better than Washington's percentage with Stewart. We were 36.9% through the first Boston College game this year. That plus a strong inside scorer would win a lot of the games that we've lost. But the opposition realized we didn't have that and moved up to cover the threes precisely because we didn't have an inside scorer.

I'm not implying that we would shoot the same percentage from three with Stewart. Never said that. It would be improved but would go from very mediocre to mediocre. I think where we differ is that you have a higher opinion of JG and BB than I do. I also believe you value Stewart's offensive game a little higher than I do. He's a capable low post scorer with plenty of potential but not sure he's this super stud that demands a double team every night. Not at this juncture.

I'm not implying that we would shoot the same percentage from three with Stewart. Never said that. It would be improved but would go from very mediocre to mediocre. I think where we differ is that you have a higher opinion of JG and BB than I do. I also believe you value Stewart's offensive game a little higher than I do. He's a capable low post scorer with plenty of potential but not sure he's this super stud that demands a double team every night. Not at this juncture.

Stewart gets double teamed a lot but that is mainly because without Quade Green UW doesn't have any reliable perimeter shooters or passers. Stewart is a very nice player but a BIG part of the problem for UW is that they actually try to use him too much and turn the ball over a ton because of how much they try to force it to him. He's also a blackhole and he takes a fair amount of bad shots. That said, he's a great, great effort player and has an incredible motor... but his productivity is more about outhustling and outmuscling than being really skilled - he's still very raw offensively. I would definitely take Vernon Carey over him. Carey is much more explosive jumper, seems to have a more refined skillset, and is a more patient player. I think Stewart would make this SU team a lot better, probably just outside of the top 25, maybe a 7 or 8 seed type of team.

Stewart gets double teamed a lot but that is mainly because without Quade Green UW doesn't have any reliable perimeter shooters or passers. Stewart is a very nice player but a BIG part of the problem for UW is that they actually try to use him too much and turn the ball over a ton because of how much they try to force it to him. He's also a blackhole and he takes a fair amount of bad shots. That said, he's a great, great effort player and has an incredible motor... but his productivity is more about outhustling and outmuscling than being really skilled - he's still very raw offensively. I would definitely take Vernon Carey over him. Carey is much more explosive jumper, seems to have a more refined skillset, and is a more patient player. I think Stewart would make this SU team a lot better, probably just outside of the top 25, maybe a 7 or 8 seed type of team.

I agree with all of that.

Looking at our schedule, I think with Stewart we probably beat Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina State, Florida State and Miami, (we lost those games by a total of 18 points). That would make us 23-8 and 16-4 in the conference. Since that means Florida State has another loss, we'd have won the (unofficial) conference regular season title and be the #1 seed in the ACC tournament. And the games we lost by double digits might have been single digit games, (excepting Louisville, the one time we really got blown out). Maybe we would have a shot to win a couple of them. And our wins might have been by more comfortable margins. The team, despite it's limitations, has competed well all year and a player like Stewart would have put them on another level.

Our schedule: 2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule - Syracuse University Athletics

The standings: 2019-20 Men's College Basketball Standings | ESPN

Huskies run to the NCAA's (assuming chalk opponents) #5 Arizona, #4 USC, #1 Oregon, #2 UCLA

Difference is they had higher expectations and aspirations for this season than SU. 3 McDonalds AA in that lineup (2 now that Qade is ineligible). I'm guessing the same people who continuously moan about JB's recruiting would be out with pitchforks if SU was underperforming at the same level as UW. It's a shame too because IW is a real talent and I'm assuming he will be in the NBA next year.

Some people here are taking real joy in their collapse which seems odd as Hop is still a SU guy. I'm guessing it's because the couple posters here who completely fawn over UW and Hop while taking cheap shots at Boeheim and SU.
What happened to quade green?

Huskies run to the NCAA's (assuming chalk opponents) #5 Arizona, #4 USC, #1 Oregon, #2 UCLA

Supposedly UW has a request in to get Quade Green's grades for this semester expedited to see if they can get him eligible for the Pac12 tourney. The semester officially ends on March 20 but I believe AD has requested a waiver to get his grades in advance since classes and tests are supposedly done. Pretty sure Pasch mentioned all of this in the UW/Arizona broadcast.

Taking on Arizona, Pac12 Networks.

Don’t hate the messenger, just an fyi.

IS out to hot start with first 7 points.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom