Washington Huskies | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

I think a big problem is McDaniels. He’s a turnover machine, he can’t shoot, and he doesn’t play defense. He’s an overrated 5 star athlete who doesn’t know how to play the game. I haven’t seen Washington play lately, so maybe Hop has stopped playing him.

I think a big problem is McDaniels. He’s a turnover machine, he can’t shoot, and he doesn’t play defense. He’s an overrated 5 star athlete who doesn’t know how to play the game. I haven’t seen Washington play lately, so maybe Hop has stopped playing him.

That’s what my UW business contact that has season tickets believes.

i noticed he came off the bench last night and thought it was strange a universal top 10 pick was on the bench of a .500 team. But he played ~35 minutes.

LOL...Big Hop fan to on the fence in less than one season...I can see why you are here. You fit in really well...

Hopefully, your AD has more perspective.

Guy learned at the feet of one of the best ever for 25+ years. He has all the tools but that move one seat to the left is a huge one. He is going to make mistakes. All young coaches do.

BTW, here is what your program looks like since JB took over SU in 1976...Other than a few seasons under Romar and a couple under Harshman, the program has sucked...

You should be down on your knees thanking whomever you pray to that the stars aligned and you got Hop.

Given your pedigree, your coach right now should be some schmo out of the Mountain West who happened to get lucky with an unheralded recruit, or two, and made the tourney in 2017...that guy ain't landing Green or Stewart...and you are not having a discussion about why the team is having a tough season after winning the PAC 10 or 12 or 20 or whatever it is these days and making the tourney and winning your second tournament game of the...decade... ...instead, you would be wondering when you were ever going to get to .500 again...

View attachment 176768
View attachment 176769

Of courses our hoops program sucks. I wouldn’t put too much stock into the pre Romar era, Seattle’s basketball scene really took off in the 2000’s. Right now UW is a mediocre hoops program at best.

When I say I’m on the fence about Hop, I just mean I’m not all in. I’m not going to pretend like he’s some great proven coach who will be here the next 25 years. While he has a ton of experience under JB, he is a young coach. And just because you learn under a great coach, doesn’t make you a great coach. How’s Capel doing at Pitt? Or Johnny Dawkins? What Hop did at Syracuse means squat, he has to prove it as a head coach.

It may be easy to laugh from the outside, but if Syracuse was picked to be a top 25 team and you guys were in last place behind Georgia Tech you guys would be concerned too.

It’s way too early to judge Hop, but he needs to right the ship. Next season will be tough, but he will have an experienced team that should be all in. He needs to get back to the dance once within the next two full seasons if he wants to last long here.

When I say I’m on the fence about Hop, I just mean I’m not all in. I’m not going to pretend like he’s some great proven coach who will be here the next 25 years.

Fair enough. I took your Big Hop fan to on the fence comment to mean that you were on the bandwagon and you jumped off because of one bad season.
While he has a ton of experience under JB, he is a young coach. And just because you learn under a great coach, doesn’t make you a great coach. How’s Capel doing at Pitt? Or Johnny Dawkins? What Hop did at Syracuse means squat, he has to prove it as a head coach.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. In fact, there is no way he is a great coach right now. He is going to make mistakes, lots of them. He has the pedigree, the recruiting chops, the personality to be be very successful. The question is, can he handle the Xs and Os, handle the locker room etc...Only time will tell.

this time, they blew a 12-point lead fairly late in second half vs. UCLA, the beat (or beatdowns) goes on. They seem to collapse every game at about the 7 or 8 minutes to go mark in the second half. Bill Walton, btw, is a riot. Doesn't take himself or game too seriously. Cuse's Dave Pasch is perfect straight man for him. I think that's 8 losses in a row for UW.

UW doesn't press or at least I haven't seen it. They were down 5 or 6 with 5 to go and should have gotten out of the zone because it allows teams to run clock, which is not what you want.

The issue with this team is TOs 18 today...they only made 21 baskets

Terrible PG play and lack of shooters are the Huskies downfall...

They obviously have a “cancer” on the team. Somethings not right besides losing their point guard. If Stewart was at SU, we would be competing for the conference title.
This is an interesting theory. McDaniels would be my bet. Kid has no idea how to play the game in the team concept. I bet Hop can’t wait for him to leave. He’s on an NBA audition now.

Next year is critical for Hop.

this time, they blew a 12-point lead fairly late in second half vs. UCLA, the beat (or beatdowns) goes on. They seem to collapse every game at about the 7 or 8 minutes to go mark in the second half. Bill Walton, btw, is a riot. Doesn't take himself or game too seriously. Cuse's Dave Pasch is perfect straight man for him. I think that's 8 losses in a row for UW.

Walton and Pasch are awesome, IMO. Somewhat early in the first half, Walton was jabbering again as he always does as the game was going on of course, and there was a moment where the ball bounced oddly off a player, then the backboard and Pasch made a pin ball comment. Walton from there said something along the lines like he's a Pin ball Wizard, then mentioned Roger Daltrey and then some more mumbo jumbo...Pasch budded in a quickly quipped, "Who?" Walton acted surprised that Pasch had a clue of what Walton was mumbling about. It was funny and quite entertaining. I get that it's not for everyone, but late at night, after watching a full day of college hoops, for me, it was great.

Walton and Pasch are awesome, IMO. Somewhat early in the first half, Walton was jabbering again as he always does as the game was going on of course, and there was a moment where the ball bounced oddly off a player, then the backboard and Pasch made a pin ball comment. Walton from there said something along the lines like he's a Pin ball Wizard, then mentioned Roger Daltrey and then some more mumbo jumbo...Pasch budded in a quickly quipped, "Who?" Walton acted surprised that Pasch had a clue of what Walton was mumbling about. It was funny and quite entertaining. I get that it's not for everyone, but late at night, after watching a full day of college hoops, for me, it was great.
Agreed! But I feel like it's funny because they are not doing one of our games. I have no vested interest in outcome of the game, so it's funny but if I was a die hard UW fan and he kept calling them "the greatest team in the country for 35 minutes who can't win a game" I would be pissed...

Last edited:
Agreed! But I feel like it's funny because they are not doing one of our games. I have no vested interest in outcome of the game, so it's funny but if I was a die hard UW fan and he kept calling them "the greatest team in the country for 35 minutes who can't win a game" I would be pissed...

Exactly. Considering the complaints about Cory Alexander talking about everything besides the game yesterday, I doubt Bill Walton would go over well doing our games. But I enjoy watching him on other games.

Pasch has gotten better at jabbing back at Walton.

But the game...damn. Stewart plays his heart out, but the rest of the kids played sans effort in the final 10 minutes. It was brutal.

After being the only team to beat Baylor this year, it’s like they took a masterclass from Shumpert and DeShaun on how to mess up a team.

This will be good for Hop.

Pasch has gotten better at jabbing back at Walton.

But the game...damn. Stewart plays his heart out, but the rest of the kids played sans effort in the final 10 minutes. It was brutal.

After being the only team to beat Baylor this year, it’s like they took a masterclass from Shumpert and DeShaun on how to mess up a team.

This will be good for Hop.

It pains me watching UW as much as I have this season. Not so much because of Hop, etc. but because I can't stop getting out of my head what type of team we would be or season we'd be having if we had a legit P5 type center like Stewart in lieu of whom we have. I really don't think it's a stretch to say we'd be a solid Sweet 16 team for sure and with college hoops being so down across the board this year, who knows...possibly even a 2nd national title for JB & company and our fan base.

It pains me watching UW as much as I have this season. Not so much because of Hop, etc. but because I can't stop getting out of my head what type of team we would be or season we'd be having if we had a legit P5 type center like Stewart in lieu of whom we have. I really don't think it's a stretch to say we'd be a solid Sweet 16 team for sure and with college hoops being so down across the board this year, who knows...possibly even a 2nd national title for JB & company and our fan base.
We would have won a few more games that's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom