Washington vs Kansas | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Washington vs Kansas

kansas looked asleep the whole game.. never played with any urgency the whole 2nd half.. They got any shot they wanted but could make wide open stuff. they got in the lane and got easy shots all game, the difference was Graham wouldnt even take the shots he made all night against us. he didnt even make his FT. Wash got open jumpers and made them and never gave up the lead so they never had to play from behind the 2nd half.

And why shouldn’t it be?
Two types of perspectives in life: Scarcity vs abundance.
If you see the world from a scarcity perspective you’re always thinking selfishly. There’s never enough of anything so you wanna keep everything for yourself- just in case it runs out!
Abundance perspective says there’s more than enough to go around. That rooting for and helping someone else, opens up more opportunities ultimately for your success as well.
Hop never fails to mention the Cuse, and his success is always referenced to JB’s coaching & influence. Can’t see why that would be a bad thing. Besides, he’s family! JMHO
Choose happiness

Graham looked totally unengaged. I loved him flaming out as I think he is a hot dog and he fouls on every possession with his "pressure" D. I think he pouts if he doesn't make shots and it looked it last night. Kudos to Hop on sticking to a plan (giving up 2's but covering on 3's). The other difference for UW is they can throw it in the post to a big kid who can cause some troubles around the basket. That is something we are sorely lacking and helps ease the scoring droughts that we often experience. I think this is great for Hop and an indictment on Romar - UW does not lack talent. for them to win only 9 games last year is a crime.
Do people think we could beat UW?

Graham looked totally unengaged. I loved him flaming out as I think he is a hot dog and he fouls on every possession with his "pressure" D. I think he pouts if he doesn't make shots and it looked it last night. Kudos to Hop on sticking to a plan (giving up 2's but covering on 3's). The other difference for UW is they can throw it in the post to a big kid who can cause some troubles around the basket. That is something we are sorely lacking and helps ease the scoring droughts that we often experience. I think this is great for Hop and an indictment on Romar - UW does not lack talent. for them to win only 9 games last year is a crime.

We could beat anybody ... if we shot 43% from outside.

Could we yes? We would be favored by 6 on a neutral court according to Kenpom. They just were smoked by VPI who is about the same as us. Washington could beat us to though. I imagine they were about 16 point dogs against KU?

Hop spoke to the SU staff and made adjustments. He told his guys not to give up any threes or lobs, and allowed the shots in the lane. It was essentially a 4-1 zone at times. And they put their lankiest athlete at the top of the zone in Graham's face. It would have been like us putting Brissett up there. Plus, his guys were scoring.

You have to ask: "Why didn't we do that?"

I think one reason is that JB didn't have his mentor play Kansas shortly before his game to help gather info on how to scheme against a good Kansas team...

JB has been a head coach for 40+ years...he shouldn't need help in game planning for anyone. Maybe I am off but it seems like some folks are trying to pizz all over this win for UW.

It's results like this for KU and its fan base to legitimately question Self, along with their usual/annual underachieving in the Dance when considering their typical high seeding.

No doubt a great win for Hop and UW!

It really grinds my gears to see some of the comments on here from so called 'fans'.

I was watching the game last night and I teared up for him...because I know what Mike Hopkins puts into everything he does. He gave everything he ever had to this university and he conducted himself like a gentleman every step of the way. He took this job because it made sense, not out of spite. He will always love SU and I will always love him.

Should we be concerned if he recruits the east coast? YES! Because he is charismatic, he is a winner, he is humble and his passion/fire/honesty is refreshing!

I bleed Orange but I will always root for SU family when the leave, especially when they are as classy as Mike Hopkins.

In my ideal world, Hop absolutely kicks a$$ at Washington, becomes the hottest coach in America, and returns to take over Boeheim’s throne in a few years. A man can dream..
Could be wrong but I think Hop stays in Washington for the long haul. I've always considered that program a sleeping giant and I don't see Hop leaving it if (when) he's successful.

It takes looking but there are a few out there. Quite honestly, on the occasions that I search for other schools' message boards I appreciate this place more upon my return. You guys have created something special...
The best one is hardcorehusky.com
The basketball boards were dry but this win over Kansas has really fired up the basketball hawt talk. Everyone speaks their mind over there, it's glorious.

Last edited:
Could be wrong but I think Hop stays in Washington for the long haul. I've always considered that program a sleeping giant and I don't see Hop leaving it if (when) he's successful.

Agreed. And people shouldn’t be complaining if that’s what he does. A lot of the experts in this thread and on this board didn’t want to give him a chance in the first place. Now they’ve moved the goalposts to complaining about JB’s team not executing like Hops did against Kansas.

I think one reason is that JB didn't have his mentor play Kansas shortly before his game to help gather info on how to scheme against a good Kansas team...
The difference is Hop is more open to new ideas. Even if Washington had first dibs on Kansas and got torched by one shooter I doubt JB would just concede the post. The SU zone will extend or contract at times but not to the extent that we saw with Washington.

The best one is hardcorehusky.com
The basketball boards were dry but this win over Kansas has really fired up the basketball hawt talk. Everyone speaks their mind over there, it's glorious.
That's one that really perked up on the basketball side with the Kansas victory. It's great to see how Hopkins has excited a fan base that was expecting to be blown out. I think they'll have a mixed season but this was a huge program achievement for so early on in hop's tenure. Unprecedented really. They'll lose their share but he's got his team focused and motivated. Kudos to all of them...including the AD that has to be feeling pretty darn good this morning...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom