Washington vs Kansas | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Washington vs Kansas

This is a joke. The Syracuse job is not a stepping stone job unless a blue blood comes calling.

Every single one of those “best program of the past ____ years” or “best college b-ball coaching jobs” things that ESPN and others like to run every few years always has Syracuse right around number 10.

I disagree. If I'm a 4-star, 5-star why am I coming to Syracuse instead of UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.? The ONLY reason we compete with the schools for recruits is because of Boeheim.

And I might in fact be smoking something. Thats a very good guess on your part.

You typed “etc.”...why? You pretty much named the programs that we rarely beat for recruits. There’s no etc.

You typed “etc.”...why? You pretty much named the programs that we rarely beat for recruits. There’s no etc.

We may not win most of those recruiting battles but we compete with them. I'm saying that the only reason those kids consider Syracuse is the coach.

Duke IS Duke. With or without Coach K. Always will be.

UK has continued their success through multiple coaching changes because of their storied history and multiple championships. Syracuse doesn't have that.

Hey look, I hope I'm wrong I just don't think Syracuse is an attractive destination for a good coach to want to stay for 10-20 years unless he (she?) already has ties to the area.

Really? Tell me more about Duke basketball before Coach K?

Unless Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas are looking for a new coach, we’ll be fine.

How about UCLA? Florida? Texas? Good programs in very attractive parts of the country.

I disagree. If I'm a 4-star, 5-star why am I coming to Syracuse instead of UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.? The ONLY reason we compete with the schools for recruits is because of Boeheim.

And I might in fact be smoking something. Thats a very good guess on your part.

Um, we don't really compete with those schools for recruits NOW.

Really? Tell me more about Duke basketball before Coach K?

There was nothing, but in the meantime Duke is a top-echelon school. You can't get better in terms of academics and reputation. Also K has won what 5 NCs? that transcends the coach and says that 'school' is a perennial championship contender. I'm telling you, it makes a difference. Also Raleigh-Durham is a more desireable place to live than Syracuse.

Even if a blueblood comes calling, it's only a step up if we can't match the offer. Syracuse has some unique selling points that UK and Duke can't replicate.

Not sure about those unique selling points since I believe UK/Duke (Duke for sure) generate more bball revenue overall. That Forbes article awhile back at SU at 7 I think?

But Orange87 is selling the program short, IMO. Melo Center, ACC, Northeast locale, fanbase, etc. The Morgue is going to get a makeover as well. Also, and not to bark up that tree, but Boeheim/100% zone automatically disqualifies us with certain recruits and usually the elite ones. Fair or unfair it is what it is. Mason, Dean, and others have illustrated that issue. IMO, there is the distinct possibility of just as many or more recruits/H.S. coaches anxiously awaiting the transition to a new coach and system than ones wanting Boeheim to stay on until he’s 80. I have zero doubt in my mind that a young stud coach or a seasoned one can come in here and have success from Day 1. Get things runnin’ and gunnin’ again.

Last edited:
Maybe. Nah. And hell no.(assuming the money is equal).

Many people (such as myself) consider Texas and Florida a half step above hell as far as desirable places to live. Depends on your perspective.

Where do you live? Do you live in Syracuse? If you do and you love it thats great but unfortunately its not a place people gravitate to start careers and raise families if they've got a choice of anywhere else to go. I don't mean to denigrate it, I'm just stating a fact.

...and lots of people (but perhaps not you) prefer a more temperate climate.

Duke IS Duke. With or without Coach K. Always will be.

UK has continued their success through multiple coaching changes because of their storied history and multiple championships. Syracuse doesn't have that.

Hey look, I hope I'm wrong I just don't think Syracuse is an attractive destination for a good coach to want to stay for 10-20 years unless he (she?) already has ties to the area.

Duke hasn't always been Coach K's Duke:
List of Duke Blue Devils men's basketball head coaches - Wikipedia
Neill McGeachy says Hi!

Kentucky has had their blips, too:
List of Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball head coaches - Wikipedia
Remember Billy Gillispie ?

Kansas hasn't always been the Kansas we know now:
Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball - Wikipedia
Dick Harp couldn't win with Wilt Chamberlain.

North Carolina has gotten it's heal stuck stuck occasisonally:
List of North Carolina Tar Heels men's basketball head coaches - Wikipedia
What is Matt Doherty doing these days?

UCLA has never found another Wooden:
List of UCLA Bruins men's basketball head coaches - Wikipedia
They did have the legendary Steve Lavin .

The thing is, those schools don't tolerate mediocrity for long.

They drew 10,000 fans per game last year when their arena holds 16,000. Huge interest down there. Lol.

You guys need a reading comprehension class. Texas IS a 'good' program. Not great but good. My point though was that without a HOF coach, a school like Texas, located in Austin, TX is very desirable. Its a great school, great facilities in a great part of the country.

You guys need a reading comprehension class. Texas IS a 'good' program. Not great but good. My point though was that without a HOF coach, a school like Texas, located in Austin, TX is very desirable. Its a great school, great facilities in a great part of the country.

Eh.

If JAB only knew how to make halftime adjustments ... he'd have 1000+ wins, a NC and a spot in the Hoops HOF. Dang. So close.

i was just about to say that while JB makes halftime adjustments, he doesn't always seem to make the right during the half adjustments. but i kept thinking about it, and the problem against kansas was howard getting in foul trouble. can't have him and battle jumping and trapping after the first pass when you are in foul trouble (2+ fouls in the first half or 4+ in the second half is what I define as foul trouble). He made the adjustments in the second half, but we couldn't get back the points we went down in the first half when howard was out.

You guys need to take your blinders off at some point and see the program for what it is.

I can't keep going back and firth with you all. We'll agree to disagree okay?

Says you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom