Watching Lydon | Syracusefan.com

Watching Lydon

OmahaCuse

Starter
Talked to Seth Greenberg a few weeks ago and he said Jimmy was surprised Lydon declared and that he needed another year at SU. Indicated he would have been lottery pick in 2018 if he stayed. Can't say I blame Lyndon for leaving, but he does seem overmatched in the summer league games, let alone the real NBA. Guessing he plays a few years in D league and needs to find the right situation. Nuggets seem to be stacked with similar players who are stronger physically. Again, can't blame Lydon for leaving as never know if you are going to blow out a knee.

36_lyndon_b_johnson.jpg

True - if Lyndon had blown out a knee, he might never have become President.

Talked to Seth Greenberg a few weeks ago and he said Jimmy was surprised Lydon declared and that he needed another year at SU. Indicated he would have been lottery pick in 2018 if he stayed. Can't say I blame Lyndon for leaving, but he does seem overmatched in the summer league games, let alone the real NBA. Guessing he plays a few years in D league and needs to find the right situation. Nuggets seem to be stacked with similar players who are stronger physically. Again, can't blame Lydon for leaving as never know if you are going to blow out a knee.
I am in the minority but I think he contributes even when he isn't scoring. Game 1 he was solid, game 2 he missed shots but blocked some, rebounded some, and passed for some. I do think the log jam at forward will limit his opportunity but in no way, shape or form do I think he was a lottery pick next year. Anyone in our program who can get guaranteed money should go just so they can get into a better S&C program.

I am in the minority but I think he contributes even when he isn't scoring. Game 1 he was solid, game 2 he missed shots but blocked some, rebounded some, and passed for some. I do think the log jam at forward will limit his opportunity but in no way, shape or form do I think he was a lottery pick next year. Anyone in our program who can get guaranteed money should go just so they can get into a better S&C program.

I think Malachi getting hurt and still not being healthy reinforces this point.

I think he'll surprise early.

I'm with you. I think this last year exposed some limitations in his game. He's a great shooter, and decent defender and rebounder, but when he was asked to do more this year, I don't think he was really able to. I think he dropped a bit in the draft by staying, and I don't think he would have improved his stock too much by staying. I think he made the right move. He made some guaranteed money and now he needs to work his butt off to stay in the league and earn that second contract.

More likely a lotto last year than next.
(BTW, didn't JB say TL was leaving BEFORE last season.)

I think Malachi getting hurt and still not being healthy reinforces this point.

A year out of high school and he's keeping and NBA schedule. John Feinstein had a throwaway line in an early entry story mentioning all the Sixers that have been hurt but it's food for thought.

A year out of high school and he's keeping and NBA schedule. John Feinstein had a throwaway line in an early entry story mentioning all the Sixers that have been hurt but it's food for thought.

Fair, but Embiid was never healthy at Kansas either.

Fair, but Embiid was never healthy at Kansas either.

Agreed. Curious about this one but not gonna put in the effort. The logic would make sense to get stronger but the NBA doesn't seem to mind.

He made the right move, if anything he should have gone his freshman year. Your window in the NBA is so limited so you should go when you can and maximize your money, you can always go back to school. In Lyndon's case he did all he could at Syracuse and maximized his potential in college, there was no real jump from year one to year two and we would probably get the same in year three which NBA GM's would see and he would probably be a second rounder. He made a smart move and I'll be rooting for him.

Denver doesn't have a G league affiliate. If he needs to spend time there where does he go?

Denver doesn't have a G league affiliate. If he needs to spend time there where does he go?

Not sure, but Beasley and Hernangomez spent time on the Sioux Falls Skyforce last year and that is the Heat's affiliate.

He made the right move, if anything he should have gone his freshman year. Your window in the NBA is so limited so you should go when you can and maximize your money, you can always go back to school. In Lyndon's case he did all he could at Syracuse and maximized his potential in college, there was no real jump from year one to year two and we would probably get the same in year three which NBA GM's would see and he would probably be a second rounder. He made a smart move and I'll be rooting for him.
I think he did make a smart move. When you get "assurances" that there's first-round interest ... of course. You have to take that opportunity.

As far as his play in the summer league, I haven't seen him yet. His stat lines are up/down for shooting, but he's contributing on a bunch of other levels. He's not yet at his peak strength-wise. But he's showing he can hang and I think the shot will come.

For those claiming he disappointed last year ... I mean ... it's not like we were show-casing him at center.

I think he did make a smart move. When you get "assurances" that there's first-round interest ... of course. You have to take that opportunity.

As far as his play in the summer league, I haven't seen him yet. His stat lines are up/down for shooting, but he's contributing on a bunch of other levels. He's not yet at his peak strength-wise. But he's showing he can hang and I think the shot will come.

For those claiming he disappointed last year ... I mean ... it's not like we were show-casing him at center.

Struggling with his shot(as are a lot of rookies like Ball and Markkanen), but surprised at his defensive ability. He doesn't seem to be struggling guarding guys on the perimeter as people expected.

Struggling with his shot(as are a lot of rookies like Ball and Markkanen), but surprised at his defensive ability. He doesn't seem to be struggling guarding guys on the perimeter as people expected.
Ok, that's interesting. I haven't been able to see him play (was in Seattle this past week). When does Denver play again on NBA summer league?

Ok, that's interesting. I haven't been able to see him play (was in Seattle this past week). When does Denver play again on NBA summer league?

I don't think until tomorrow or Thursday. Schedule isn't out yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom