Watching Quincy G playing for Oregon right now... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Watching Quincy G playing for Oregon right now...

Disagree about 100000000%.

The whole “I gotta showcase my game” idea is a fallacy. Scout aren’t dumb. If you can shoot or not, scouts will know…and you will get drafted based on their opinion of your skills. They will work you out, see you at portsmith etc.

The NBA drafts you on what they think you can be….not what you’ve done.

All Q has done is confirm what JB knew….kid can’t shoot.
Exactly. The scouts know what they’re doing. And who doesn’t know what they’re doing? High school assistant coaches, “workout guys” and other hangers-on who know nothing about high level basketball and only do damage to these kids by getting into their ears. This is exactly what happened with Kadary.

Q can make open 3s. He proved it last year. But heavily contested ones are harder for him. If he had stayed, he would have continued to do what he did last year and give us a guy who can attack the basket with a couple dribbles, post up guys and use strength and footwork to get around them, hit open 3s and grab tons of boards. Jimmy is doing that for us this year on offense (he’s a better ball handler than Q though), but he’s not as good of a rebounder and is less athletic/slower.

Last edited:
Exactly. The scouts know what they’re doing. And who doesn’t know what they’re doing? High school assistant coaches, “workout guys” and other hangers-on who know nothing about high level basketball and only do damage to these kids by getting into their ears. This is exactly what happened with Kadary.

Q can make open 3s. He proved it last year. But heavily contested ones are harder for him. If he had stayed, he would have continued to do what he did last year and give us a guy who can attack the basket with a couple dribbles, post up guys and use strength and footwork to get around them, hit open 3s and grab tons of boards. Jimmy is doing that for us this year on offense (he’s a better ball handler than Q though), but he’s not as good of a rebounder and is less athletic/slower.
About scouts...you are right in a basketball sense. What scouts don’t know is how an 18 or 19 year old kid is going to handle that life at that age. There are a lot of high picks that don’t make it even though they make a good initial chunk of change. If that’s all they’re looking for then good for them. But there’s a good amount of these guys quoted as saying that the college years were the best of their lives though short lived.
And PS... it sucks for fans who never get to see how good they can be as they progress. And as a fan...that’s all I care about.

I look at it like this: one of the reasons you come to Syracuse is to be coached by a guy who has evaluated, taught, and utilized thousands of different players. He has a long history of helping players use the skills they have to get team wins at a high level in the college game. He has successfully coached both elite NBA prospects, borderline draft picks, and no-shot-at-the-NBA types of players. He has a great track record of getting players drafted. He has coached the best players in the modern era. Etc etc.

If you had some semblance of intelligence, this would be the type of person that it would behoove you to listen to. Maybe it’s an important factor for pro teams that a player can listen to a coach, can play within a system, can do things for the benefit of the team and not just themselves? Maybe a guy like QG was unlikely to have success in the NBA but could make an extravagant living for many years overseas doing exactly the things JB had him doing?

I don’t know, but again, this is an extraordinarily specialized field and absolutely nobody should be doubting that JB is one of the top 5 or 10 people in the country in terms of his experience, expertise, and results. I know that getting personal coaching and advice from a person like that is virtually priceless.

Current Players in the NBA that played for the school in the last 5 years...

Syracuse - 2
Oregon - 8

Maybe he felt the current day Oregon system could better prepare him for the current day NBA better than current day JB...or it could be that he’s dumb like implied above.

Current Players in the NBA that played for the school in the last 5 years...

Syracuse - 2
Oregon - 8

Maybe he felt the current day Oregon system could better prepare him for the current day NBA better than current day JB...or it could be that he’s dumb like implied above.
Huh I can count 4 SU players just off the top of my head - Melo, Grant, Brissett and Hughes

Huh I can count 4 SU players just off the top of my head - Melo, Grant, Brissett and Hughes

It was in the last 5 years, so Melo and Grant doesn't count per those parameters.

I am surprised Oregon is at 8 however -- that is quite high. But they have done a good job of recruiting top and under the radar talent -- can think of Canadians like Brooks and Boucher. Whether it is development / style or not that is driving that, not sure.

I am still not personally upset at Q or would not call him idiotic. He gave it his all here and was gracious He took a chance, and so far it is not trending very good as to his ultimate goal.

ut that goal was a tough one either way. I hope he develops due to his being Canadian and maybe he gets it back by next year.. or not.

It was in the last 5 years, so Melo and Grant doesn't count per those parameters.

I am surprised Oregon is at 8 however -- that is quite high. But they have done a good job of recruiting top and under the radar talent -- can think of Canadians like Brooks and Boucher. Whether it is development / style or not that is driving that, not sure.

I am still not personally upset at Q or would not call him idiotic. He gave it his all here and was gracious He took a chance, and so far it is not trending very good as to his ultimate goal.

ut that goal was a tough one either way. I hope he develops due to his being Canadian and maybe he gets it back by next year.. or not.
fwiw I don’t think Oregon is developing talent necessarily. I just don’t think it’s unreasonable for Q to look at their current rate of turning players pro and wanting to give a different system a shot. Ultimately I don’t think it would have mattered for him anyway he played this as far as getting to the nba. If he stuck around here, he would have been on a better team, that’s for sure. Would have been nice to get him for a year playing next to an actual center

He played his butt off here and played through injury a solid portion of his career.

Idk why people can’t just root for the kid, or let it be. He wasn’t as vocal as Kadary or Dior.

I hope he kills it the remainder of the year

Last edited:
Jake, I respect your opinion on this board, but come on with the 1 and a bunch of zeroes. I'm not saying that Q was right. That wasn't my point. What I was trying to communicate was that if Q were to have continued to play the role that Jim wanted, no way would he be in position for the nba. No way, and everyone here knows that. Therefore, why shouldn't he try something different that allows him a better opportunity - even if that means he won't deliver?
Revisionist history, or should we assume, JB was a blatant liar?

Stop using facts to dispute H0T Takes! Removes all the fun!

In regards to Q, I think some here should give him a damn break. He saw the writing on the wall. He knew he wasn't going to get drafted continuing to play the same role. Jim obviously wanted him to continue in that role, which I agree, was the best for the team. However, it wasn't in Q's best long term interest. No way was he doing to get drafted in that role. Therefore, they parted ways. It seems to me, that neither party did anything wrong, but just had different interests and objectives at that point. Why some here want to paint the picture that Q was wrong and Jim was right is baffling to me.

In regards to Q, I think some here should give him a damn break. He saw the writing on the wall. He knew he wasn't going to get drafted continuing to play the same role. Jim obviously wanted him to continue in that role, which I agree, was the best for the team. However, it wasn't in Q's best long term interest. No way was he doing to get drafted in that role. Therefore, they parted ways. It seems to me, that neither party did anything wrong, but just had different interests and objectives at that point. Why some here want to paint the picture that Q was wrong and Jim was right is baffling to me.
But he was wrong. He wanted to be something he’s not, JB told him his strengths were rebounding and getting inside not outside shooting. That’s proving true. No one is wishing ill on him, just being real. People think the grass is always greener, most times it’s not. He moved him and his gf across the country to make the NBA, but his stock is near zero right now.

Again, you couldn't be missing the point more even if you tried. Go back and read. Jeezus. HE ASPIRES TO PLAY IN THE NBA. SO WHY NOT TAKE A SWING EVEN IF IT MEANS A MISS? It is clear to the majority of us (even you), that he wasn't going to get drafted. Therefore, why not try something different?
I don’t think anyone is missing your point. I think it’s that your point is weak. Do I have to point out that he would be able to demonstrate improved shooting here? Work individually with coaches. Summer workouts. Prove yourself and your improvements are incorporated. Every coaches message is improve your strengths AND deficits. He didn’t believe in himself enough to persuade coaching staff he could incorporate more into his game apparently. His ticket was not to get away from his strengths, but to expand them.

The fallacy here is that skills determine the role. If Q was truly able to expand his game to consistently hit the three and/or be able to drive more effectively and finish, his role would have grown. If on the other hand he could not make a jump in terms of his skills, why should he expect an expanded role? It just comes down to taking responsibility for oneself and earning your minutes and your role.

There are many things to criticize about JB, but one thing no player can complain about is getting enough minutes or opportunities once they have earned JB's trust.

I don’t know if I agree with what you’re saying about Q not being able to get drafted if he stayed at Cuse. This article from last March was just shared but I will paste the relevant part here for people to see exactly what JB said:

Guerrier improved his outside shot. He made just three out of 24 shots from 3-point range in his first year with the Orange. This season he went 20-for-66 (30.3 percent) from the arc.
“He’s a tremendous player,’' Boeheim said. “I think his shooting has gotten significantly better. He helps us inside tremendously. He helps our team when he can make a perimeter shot, too. It’s a big boost for us. He’s not there yet, but I think he’s going to be a really, really good shooter. I think he’s moving in that direction. It’s just not quite there yet.

“But I remember Demetris Nichols when he was younger he shot about 17 or 18 percent (from 3-point range) and he ended up shooting 38-40 percent from the three after he got a couple of years in,’' Boeheim continued. “I really think Quincy’s a tremendous player and he’s had a tremendous year rebounding-wise, defensively he’s gotten better every game.’'

I don’t know if I agree with what you’re saying about Q not being able to get drafted if he stayed at Cuse. This article from last March was just shared but I will paste the relevant part here for people to see exactly what JB said:

Guerrier improved his outside shot. He made just three out of 24 shots from 3-point range in his first year with the Orange. This season he went 20-for-66 (30.3 percent) from the arc.
“He’s a tremendous player,’' Boeheim said. “I think his shooting has gotten significantly better. He helps us inside tremendously. He helps our team when he can make a perimeter shot, too. It’s a big boost for us. He’s not there yet, but I think he’s going to be a really, really good shooter. I think he’s moving in that direction. It’s just not quite there yet.

“But I remember Demetris Nichols when he was younger he shot about 17 or 18 percent (from 3-point range) and he ended up shooting 38-40 percent from the three after he got a couple of years in,’' Boeheim continued. “I really think Quincy’s a tremendous player and he’s had a tremendous year rebounding-wise, defensively he’s gotten better every game.’'
Great find here, thanks for posting.
I really liked Quincy here and was very disappointed when he left. He doesn't have the lift and athleticism that he needs at his size to be a good pro, but he certainly does not lack heart. He would be playing huge minutes here and in the old days would have kept improving and been a great 4 year Orangeman. It would have been his team next year and if he had kept improving his shot as noted above he would have been afforded plenty of opportunities to showcase his three point shooting ability.

Sadly I think he got some lousy advice, was charmed by a snake oil salesman and was too impatient. Kids feel like if they stay in school more than 2-3 years they won't get a chance to make the pros. Plenty of guys have proven that is not necessarily the case. It's too bad we won't get the chance to see Q continue to develop and earn a bigger role like we did with so many great players in the past.

"Tremendous" must have been the word of the day on JB's calendar.

Does Q yet have one of those videos where he is shown in a near empty gym making like 10 or 15 threes in a row in rapid succession (whether self-grabbed off the cart, or fed by a another)? It seems like many outside-shooting prospects have something like that. Is there an emphatic plan of some sort (along the lines of B.J. Johnson and his family) with a focused agenda in which a single university isn't necessarily seen as a critical path?

Not sure if this has been brought up, but Q is 9 games in and doesn't have a single game where he's scored in double digits. Let that sink in. Not a single game. Then, compare this to last season. He scored in double digits each of his first 7 games! Two games of 18 points, one of 15 points, one for 23 points, and one 27 point outing.

I think it's clear he made a big mistake and it is my humble opinion that if he wants to get to the next level, he should excel at what he does on this level. Oshae has made huge improvements in his outside game and now does things he didn't do at SU. Quincy is/was a rebounding beast, drove one or two bounces into the paint and got to the line a ton. Why not keep doing what you do well and help your team win? Pretty sure it makes you look good and you get more exposure.

He played his butt off here and played through injury a solid portion of his career.

Idk why people can’t just root for the kid, or let it be. He wasn’t as vocal as Kadary or Dior.

I hope he kills it the remainder of the year
I don’t think anyone is rooting against him. But, just pointing out that as of right now, his decision on where to play and how to play seems to have backfired. And as I pointed out in a couple of posts, these kids are used as chum by agents…who dont always havr the players best interests in mind.

I don’t think anyone is rooting against him. But, just pointing out that as of right now, his decision on where to play and how to play seems to have backfired. And as I pointed out in a couple of posts, these kids are used as chum by agents…who dont always havr the players best interests in mind.
Thats fair to acknowledge, and for Q very unfortunate. My post wasn’t directed towards realists or those who call as it is.

There’s fans who get a kick by seeing kids, who otherwise played hard for us during their time, fail.

Seems like he left on good terms, just potentially had a lapse of judgement or took bad advice. I hope it pans out.

(they will end up being better without Guerrier and with Jimmy Boeheim).

You weren't getting both so i'd rather Jimmy on this team than Q.

Jimmy is this team's Josh Pace, but taller and can hit an outside shot.

JB touted him as an AA candidate this year.

That was when he was trying to keep him, and knew he was losing him.

"You would have been great here, kid. Too bad."

It also passive-aggressively puts pressure on the Oregon coach and on Quincy. JB mind game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom