Watching the defense in person | Syracusefan.com

Watching the defense in person

Alsacs

Living Legend
We need athleticism in the backcourt.
We don’t have the length so we aren’t forcing enough turnovers.

I think the shooting helps the offense but a deeper rotation honestly would help this team.
It makes no sense to play the guys we do as many minutes as they do.
We can’t comeback if we can’t get stops and our rebounding was exposed by UNC they played volleyball when they missed in the first half and the second half they just made those 3’s early on and it was over.

I give the team credit for doing as well as it has in conference play but the backcourt is killing us on defense. If we had a Chukwu defensive type it would help the initial shot defense but our rebounding would be still be questionable.

We need 4 quality guards and rotate them unless one of the 4 is a true superstar. How didn’t Triche play high 30 MPG? We had actual quality depth in our top 3.

The defense was just brutal on Saturday but it was a great day.

Agreed, early on I noticed how the backcourt is slow and the front court is weak and not physical, and not as tall (without Chuckwu obviously).

Agreed they need to rotate a bit more. This is where Jalen Carey might have helped but you have to be productive at both ends of the floor. Im hopeful BG can develop more minutes or Richmond can help solve the problem.

Overall this might be JBs most unathletic team I have seen in watching 30 years of cuse bball.

Need to improve the center position and the athleticism in the 1-3 spots moving forward

We need athleticism in the backcourt.
We don’t have the length so we aren’t forcing enough turnovers.

I think the shooting helps the offense but a deeper rotation honestly would help this team.
It makes no sense to play the guys we do as many minutes as they do.
We can’t comeback if we can’t get stops and our rebounding was exposed by UNC they played volleyball when they missed in the first half and the second half they just made those 3’s early on and it was over.

I give the team credit for doing as well as it has in conference play but the backcourt is killing us on defense. If we had a Chukwu defensive type it would help the initial shot defense but our rebounding would be still be questionable.

We need 4 quality guards and rotate them unless one of the 4 is a true superstar. How didn’t Triche play high 30 MPG? We had actual quality depth in our top 3.

The defense was just brutal on Saturday but it was a great day.
Triche is in my mind our prototype guard - good size, smart, can play the 1 or 2 on the offensive end. Under appreciated during his time here.

how times a game do i have to watch sidibe do his too late negative ghost rider fly by act in the corner ?

Last edited:
Triche is in my mind our prototype guard - good size, smart, can play the 1 or 2 on the offensive end. Under appreciated during his time here.
Yeah...I’d kill to have a Triche or three...

Exactly. And it would be the same thing if we had Stewart out there. Asking the center to guard the corner three is insanity, especially considering how badly we rebound as it is. Putting our tallest guy in the second row does NOT help that.
Yeah it seemed odd to me, why you want your center who often should be your best rebounder to then be in the corner 20 feet away from the rim

Yes. I will make the photo my avatar when I change it. Edelman was kinda annoying as he acts like a child.
Brady was all class. I heard thru the grapevine his appearance fee was 250k. I wish I had that amount of bleep you money.
Did you get his autograph?

Funny how we can watch the same players and have totally different opinions. Always appreciated Triche's defensive efforts but found him tough to watch on offense for most of his career. Nice player, not saying he wasn't. But always felt he was a bit overrated here. Either way, he'd help this group for sure.

Yes. I will make the photo my avatar when I change it. Edelman was kinda annoying as he acts like a child.
Brady was all class. I heard thru the grapevine his appearance fee was 250k. I wish I had that amount of bleep you money.
Who paid the appearance fee? Weitsman or the school? lol I have no idea how this works

Who paid the appearance fee? Weitsman or the school? lol I have no idea how this works
No way the school did. Those are Weitsman’s seats. He or his company/LLC whatever paid it.

If anyone wants to see the zone shredded in excruciating detail ... the UNC SB Nation blog has a post up with GIFs.
On the very next possession, Hughes steps out to guard Anthony 30-feet away from the basket. I’m not versed well enough in the intricacies of this defense, but why Hughes stepped out and not Buddy Boeheim is beyond my comprehension. Whatever.

Keeling is left all alone in the corner and gives UNC a 64-48 lead, capping a 9-2 spurt over three possessions. Syracuse called a timeout.
Keeling_9.gif

Bourama with a classic fly-by.

Exactly. And it would be the same thing if we had Stewart out there. Asking the center to guard the corner three is insanity, especially considering how badly we rebound as it is. Putting our tallest guy in the second row does NOT help that.
We’re better off having the center crash into the shooter instead of a flyby. At least then there’s a chance we literally take out the shooter. The best part is we don’t have to recruit elite talent to make this effective. Opposing guards would think twice about getting another open corner look.

John Chaney and Frank Howard would approve this message. And yes I’m mostly not serious.

Last edited:
Hughes doesn't need guard that when the pass is caught right in front of BB
Hughes coming up and playing level with Buddy was a tweak that JB instituted earlier this season, to help cut down on the blow-byes from opposing players.
I believe he started doing that after the OKie State game, when their very average PG recorded All-American numbers vs our 2-headed "Ole'" defenders up top. I think right after that we went on that 5-game win streak, but that tweak of the zone was always a band-aid, and not a cure.
At times that defense has almost looked like a 2-2-1, or a 4-1, as the 3 or 4 positions come all the way up, and force the opposing guards to pass in the corner for a long shot attempt, or perhaps a dribble drive that can be contested.
It works against the GTechs and Pitts of the world, but a team w/ a decent PG and/or scoring forwards, usually beats it easily.

Last edited:
Hughes doesn't need guard that when the pass is caught right in front of BB
Disagree. Buddy and JG have shown they cannot stay in front of quick PG's. Cole Anthony would've simply gone around him and created for himself or his teammates.

Hughes coming up and playing level with Buddy was a tweak that JB instituted earlier this season, to help cut down on the blow-byes from opposing players.
I believe he started doing that after the OKie State game, when their very average PG recorded All-American numbers vs our 2-headed "Ole'" defenders up top. I think right after that we went on that 5-game win streak, but that tweak of the zone was always a band-aid, and not a cure.
At times that defense has almost looked like a 2-2-1, or a 4-1, as the 4 or 5 spots come all the way up, and force the opposing guards to pass in the corner for a long shot attempt, or perhaps a dribble drive that can be contested.
It works against the GTechs and Pitts of the world, but a team w/ a decent PG and or scoring forwards, usually beats it easily.
I can see that when its a pass to the wing but that was closer to the top of the key. Not looking to argue but it just looks bad on tape to have 2 defenders right next to each other with. That left Marek and Sidibe to cover all the paint and the whole baseline. It would be in football, having a corner and a safety from the same side blitz leaving the WR streaking downfield uncovered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom