Watching UCOnn, I can see why many | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Watching UCOnn, I can see why many

UConn can both have gotten a fortunate draw and also be really good. Both things are very annoying but also probably true. It sucks!
Similar to our 1996 team. That was a very solid 4 seed team (just like UConn this year) but we were fortunate to draw Drexel and Georgia.

They are in the elite eight and play in the big east. I'm jealous. Hope Cuse is back soon.

I also suspect if we had archives from the board in 2004, we'd have a lot of posts about how UConn actually isn't that good and how we were probably just as good as them. (Especially after we beat them the last game of the regular season)

Eh.

I lurked a lot back then and I don’t recall a lot of hate. I think it was pretty widely undertood that they were a great team and probably would be a number one seed if not for two teams with undefeated regular seasons.

Eh.

I lurked a lot back then and I don’t recall a lot of hate. I think it was pretty widely undertood that they were a great team and probably would be a number one seed if not for two teams with undefeated regular seasons.
I distinctly remember that UConn team being thought of as the wire to wire best team even as a 2 seed and with St. joes going undefeated. Everyone had them winning that season.

UConn finished tied for 4th in the BE this year.

They’re a good team that’s had their path break right.

Some 4 seeds have to beat 5 really good teams to win it all. They’ll only have to beat 3 of them. We’ll see. They’ve beaten 3 “round 1” caliber opponents so far.

For whatever its worth, Uconn's adjusted efficiency margin this year per KenPom is +27.8, in 04 it was +28.3. 2011 was +23.9, and 2014 was +22.13. No ratings back in 1999. You can't necessarily directly compare the ratings from every season, but it certainly seems like this team has more in common with the 04 team than 11 or 14.

I also suspect if we had archives from the board in 2004, we'd have a lot of posts about how UConn actually isn't that good and how we were probably just as good as them. (Especially after we beat them the last game of the regular season)
I remember the opposite. They were widely considered the best and most talented team in the country all year long in 2004. And Calhoun was already proven as one of the best coaches and a plus on the sideline in close and tough games.

I remember the opposite. They were widely considered the best and most talented team in the country all year long in 2004. And Calhoun was already proven as one of the best coaches and a plus on the sideline in close and tough games.
If I remember correctly I believe Okafor battled back issues that year and that was a big reason for some regular season losses. Forth had his career game against them the weekend spring break started.

If I remember correctly I believe Okafor battled back issues that year and that was a big reason for some regular season losses. Forth had his career game against them the weekend spring break started.

Yeah he took it to him. We dominated UConn. I thought we were primed to go on a run.

Then we lost to Boston College in the first round of the BET

A) How dare you try and factcheck me from 20 (!) years ago
B) I was more having fun with this board specifically. I would definitely say the consensus opinion (as I remember it! It was a long time ago) was that they were in the elite tier (Duke was also loaded, Deng, Redick, Williams, Duhon St Joes was undefeated for much of that season but not sure they were considered quite at that level). But this board has a tendency to downplay the accomplishments of their rivals (see; this thread) so I was mostly having some fun with that.

Why did JB never recruit Sanogo? I think hes from NJ. Was JB counting on Sidibe back then?
According to 247 Syracuse did recruit him early on but he's not exactly a prototypical 2-3 zone player.

4 seed that beat Iona, St. Mary’s, and an 8 seed mid Arkansas team.

CROWN EM!!!
My question stands: miss the point much? Some people on here disparage UCOnn and particularly Hurley, saying he can’t coach and they would not want him at SU. They are better than SU. They recruit better. They play a better style of offense and defense, and they play hard. SU is soft, slow and lazy. I don’t know that Autry can change that, but I know Hurley would.

My question stands: miss the point much? Some people on here disparage UCOnn and particularly Hurley, saying he can’t coach and they would not want him at SU. They are better than SU. They recruit better. They play a better style of offense and defense, and they play hard. SU is soft, slow and lazy. I don’t know that Autry can change that, but I know Hurley would.
He has recruited well there. They play “hard” - so do most teams.

He’s a moron on the sidelines when the going gets tough. Wouldn’t want him. What are his accomplishments at UConn?

Similar to our 1996 team. That was a very solid 4 seed team (just like UConn this year) but we were fortunate to draw Drexel and Georgia.
and Miss St. instead of storz in the final four.

Anyone rooting for Hurley or UConn on this board deserves a lifetime ban and should be immediately have their handle transferred to the BY.

Problem solved for everyone.
Yeah, it’s just kinda weird. Yes, they looked impressive and hammered a so so Arkansas team.

They could win it, but hopefully not. They’re not some amazing all time great team on the whole - they’ve lost 8 games and were a 4 seed. They’re a good team with a lot of talent for sure, and when everything is really clicking for them they can be very tough.

They came in 4th in their league though.

Yeah, it’s just kinda weird. Yes, they looked impressive and hammered a so so Arkansas team.

They could win it, but hopefully not. They’re not some amazing all time great team on the whole - they’ve lost 8 games and were a 4 seed. They’re a good team with a lot of talent for sure, and when everything is really clicking for them they can be very tough.

They came in 4th in their league though.

This is correct. I know their analytics are good, but a couple folks in here acting like UConn is the favorite of this tournament is baffling to me.

Could they win it all? Sure. But of the 12 teams remaining, I think there are 3 teams that are clearly better, and a couple others that are roughly on the same playing field.

This is correct. I know their analytics are good, but a couple folks in here acting like UConn is the favorite of this tournament is baffling to me.

Could they win it all? Sure. But of the 12 teams remaining, I think there are 3 teams that are clearly better, and a couple others that are roughly on the same playing field.

Aside from Alabama I think they’ve looked the best tbh

Yeah I woudnt say they are the favorite (and they aren't). I would say Houston and Bama are better than UConn (and despite needing to win an extra game, they are the two teams favored over Uconn at the moment). I think third favorite is reasonable for them at the moment (which again, is where they are).

Who is the third team that you think is clearly better? Texas or Gonzaga? UConn is -2 against Gonzaga at the moment, fwiw. Vegas/Ken Pom sees UConn as the 3rd best team left; a few points better than both Texas and Zaga. I also have UConn at +500 to make the FF. It feels dirty. I'm sorry

Yeah I woudnt say they are the favorite (and they aren't). I would say Houston and Bama are better than UConn (and despite needing to win an extra game, they are the two teams favored over Uconn at the moment). I think third favorite is reasonable for them at the moment (which again, is where they are).

Who is the third team that you think is clearly better? Texas or Gonzaga? UConn is -2 against Gonzaga at the moment, fwiw. Vegas/Ken Pom sees UConn as the 3rd best team left; a few points better than both Texas and Zaga. I also have UConn at +500 to make the FF. It feels dirty. I'm sorry

Texas is the 3rd team I was referencing. I like their depth and experience. Me saying they are clearly better was maybe a stretch on my part.

And I do think UConn will beat Gonzaga tomorrow, probably by a few possessions. Gonzaga’s defense is horrid.

Kills me, but UCONN is very good. I threw 5 dollars on them to win it all. It made me sick. Pays out 95 dollars. Nothing crazy. But they had the best advanced stats against the best team.

What I mean by that, is they played their best ball against the top teams. When playing top 50 teams, they had the best advanced stats. Something like that.
Me too
Kills me, but UCONN is very good. I threw 5 dollars on them to win it all. It made me sick. Pays out 95 dollars. Nothing crazy. But they had the best advanced stats against the best team.

What I mean by that, is they played their best ball against the top teams. When playing top 50 teams, they had the best advanced stats. Something like that.
i got $5 to win $125

I think Bama and Texas are the best teams left, but after that….

Bummer that UCLA was hurt and lost. I think a healthy UCLA beats UConn like 7 or 8 out of 10 times.

Hurley has outworked JB these last few years. It has taken a few years for it to bake but its now came together for them. He even won a game head to head while he was building it back in 19.

Go back and compare recruiting classes. The # of top 100 players they signed compared to SU is staggering. All this while their Athletic Department is in debt due to their football program being in limbo between the AAC, canceling a whole season and going independent. All the complaints that started popping up on this board going back to around 19/20 eventually caught up to JB.

That said, its not a forgone conclusion they win it all or make it to Houston but god I hope I dont have to witness a Murder Inc (bama) vs Uconnvict title game.
Actually the complaints started before 2019. There were insiders talking about how JB wasn't putting in as much effort recruiting years earlier.

Actually the complaints started before 2019. There were insiders talking about how JB wasn't putting in as much effort recruiting years earlier.
Your right and thinking back to it, the on court results prior to 19 showed it as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom