Watching UCOnn, I can see why many | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Watching UCOnn, I can see why many

Absolutely guaranteed Miami wins and then wong and pack go 4-20 against UConn.

Just painful to admit it- but while the style is different this UConn team just has that same buzzsaw unbeatable feel the Baylor title team had maybe even more so as that Baylor team faced more adversity in the tourney albeit vis a tougher road. Still.. they defend, rebound and have matchups they can deploy on offense that are extremely difficult to counter.

I still think Texas can absolutely do it as deep and talented as they are... that said Disu.. and then what you jokingly but very realistically are noting here.

D4890529-6A3B-4514-A917-1080BE2F160F.jpeg

This thread reads like a gurgle fest for the Mutts program. If Marsh was here he'd turn over in his grave...or something.
That being said, thank goodness we no longer presumably have to "recruit for the zone", or some such nonsense. Frankly our decisions in that regard have been horrible. The Mutts are winning right now w/ alot of 4-stars, top 100 guys and portal fill-ins to round things out.
Needless to say Red has got to be successful in recruiting, and JJ was a good start.
So glad the fricken' "system recruiting" will be off the table. Can't wait for what's next for OUR program. And oh yeah, effe UConn!

Last edited:
Hurley is a really hard human to root for.

After UConn got that garbage natty with Kemba, I’ve viewed their title count as inflated and I’m not sure I could stomach them getting another one against one of the weakest NCAAT fields we’ve seen in a long time.

It is what it is. They have the bragging rights. And honestly, I don’t really have anything bad to say about their fans. They had little brother syndrome for a while but that’s faded.
Yet SU couldn’t sniff those “over valued” titles.

Why, in your opinion, is Hurley a “really hard human to root for” ?

Would you trade having Hurley for your coach for 10-15 years of great recruiting, top 20 teams, and NCAA runs? That’s what UCOnn has coming (unless he goes to a place like Kentucky).

There is the classy bunch we all know and love. If they lose this absolutely gets bumped and shared on the Boneyard.
Then again, I've always been a proponent of that old adage: "You want 'em to shut up, then go beat 'em".
If they take it all, they'll have earned the right to act like the degenerate, low-life fanbase we've all come to know over the years. And to be fair, many in our own glass house would act the same way.

It is interesting that they didn’t let Calhoun do whatever he wanted and hang around forever.

I think there’s a strong argument that he built UConn basketball to an even greater extent than Boeheim built Syracuse. UConn wasn’t in a final four a few years before Calhoun took over.

I think objective folks all day long and twice on Sundays would hands down agree with this sentiment. Calhoun took a completely nothing program (Dom Perno years and before) to elite status. 3 Natties, and arguably 4 since Ollie had all of Calhoun's players.

As you mentioned, prior to JB taking over the SU program, SU had recently been to a Final Four. Additionally, Syracuse had a pattern of decent success prior to Danforth as well.

It is interesting that they didn’t let Calhoun do whatever he wanted and hang around forever.

I think there’s a strong argument that he built UConn basketball to an even greater extent than Boeheim built Syracuse. UConn wasn’t in a final four a few years before Calhoun took over.

I think there’s an argument that Calhoun is the greatest coach of all time.

This thread reads like a gurgle fest for the Mutts program. If @Marsh was here he'd turn over in his grave...or something.
That being said, thank goodness we no longer presumably have to "recruit for the zone", or some such nonsense. Frankly our decisions in that regard have been horrible. The Mutts are winning right now w/ alot of 4-stars, top 100 guys and portal fill-ins to round things out.
Needless to say Red has got to be successful in recruiting, and JJ was a good start.
So glad the fricken' "system recruiting" will be off the table. Can't wait for what's next for OUR program. And oh yeah, effe UConn!

RIP Marsh01

Then again, I've always been a proponent of that old adage: "You want 'em to shut up, then go beat 'em".
If they take it all, they'll have earned the right to act like the degenerate, low-life fanbase we've all come to know over the years. And to be fair, many in our own glass house would act the same way.
I started this thread because some on here let irrationality color their opinions. Hurley’s a bad guy! Really? Based on what? Hurley’s an idiot on the sidelines? Why? Does he pick his nose? Does run onto the court tearing off his jacket and taking away any chance of victory for his team?
I would love to have Hurley coaching and recruiting for us. He is proof of concept.
That said, I really hope that Red crushes it, in both recruiting and coaching. I would love to see UConn crash and burn and SU rise back up.
I hope SU plays with a fire like their coach was a NYC HS AA point guard and not an old man from Lyons with nothing to prove who would rather hang out with billionaire friends at his nice, new lake house.

Last edited:
I started this thread because some on here let irrationality color their opinions. Hurley’s a bad guy! Really? Based on what? Hurley’s an idiot on the sidelines? Why? Does he pick his nose? Does run onto the court tearing off his jacket and taking away any chance of victory for his team?
I would love to have Hurley coaching and recruiting for us. He is proof of concept.
That said, I really hope that Red crushes it, in both recruiting and coaching. I would love to see UConn crash and burn and SU rise back up.
I hope SU plays with a fire like their coach was a NYC HS AA point guard and not an old man from Lyons with nothing to proof who would rather hang out with billionaire friends at his nice, new lake house.
Hurley gets in confrontations with opposing players in the middle of games, gets into it with fans in the middle of and after games, and has been publicly admonished by the Big East for his out of control sideline behavior towards referees.

Then there’s stuff like this:
Ex-UConn strength coach Sal Alosi: Dan Hurley asked me to break COVID rules

Hey, if you go for all that kind of crap then just say that. That’s you. But don’t act like his reputation is based on nothing.

I think objective folks all day long and twice on Sundays would hands down agree with this sentiment. Calhoun took a completely nothing program (Dom Perno years and before) to elite status. 3 Natties, and arguably 4 since Ollie had all of Calhoun's players.

As you mentioned, prior to JB taking over the SU program, SU had recently been to a Final Four. Additionally, Syracuse had a pattern of decent success prior to Danforth as well.
It's possible to acknowledge the great things Calhoun accomplished without taking backhanded swipes at what JB achieved at SU.

Same, because he’ll do it with class.

I wouldn’t be a fan of the program if Hurley was coach.

I didn't watch the rest of the game after the Timme 4th What did Hurley do ?

I hope SU plays with a fire like their coach was a NYC HS AA point guard and not an old man from Lyons with nothing to proof who would rather hang out with billionaire friends at his nice, new lake house.
I’m happy that you admitted why you started this thread.

Edit - but I’m sad I read it all. Haha cous couldn’t have done it better himself.

This thread reads like a gurgle fest for the Mutts program. If Marsh was here he'd turn over in his grave...or something.
Marsh would be proud of you for your last sentence. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom