Watching UCOnn, I can see why many | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Watching UCOnn, I can see why many

The portal had more to do with K-State this year than Tang. But give him credit for landing the right guys.
I believe that Red will turn things around but not at a top level unless he hits the portal jackpot.
Um, that’s what I mean. Why can’t he find the right guys in the portal? And isn’t talent acquisition a huge part of being a college head coach?

Texas is the 3rd team I was referencing. I like their depth and experience. Me saying they are clearly better was maybe a stretch on my part.

And I do think UConn will beat Gonzaga tomorrow, probably by a few possessions. Gonzaga’s defense is horrid.
My Final Four bracket has Texas, UConn, Alabama and Duke. So two are still alive.
I have Texas beating UConn. I would’ve picked UCLA to beat UConn, but I knew two of the Bruins keys players were injured, so I went the other way. I knew Gonzaga wasn’t going to beat them. They don’t have elite guard play. Texas can beat UConn, and so can Miami. But UConn will be a tough out. I will vomit if they win another title.

The portal had more to do with K-State this year than Tang. But give him credit for landing the right guys.
I believe that Red will turn things around but not at a top level unless he hits the portal jackpot.

Well…so far so good!

out of our old foes Uconn has done the best. SU Johnnies Gtown have all fallen hard. Hopefully Red has the chops to get us back to a respectable place in college basketball as recruiting just got a lot harder with Pitino and Ed on the prowl.

out of our old foes Uconn has done the best. SU Johnnies Gtown have all fallen hard. Hopefully Red has the chops to get us back to a respectable place in college basketball as recruiting just got a lot harder with Pitino and Ed on the prowl.
Like our chances recruiting against both those guys.

UConn was down for several years during and after Ollie. They also cycle through a lot of players; if as reported they have a bumper class of recruits I suspect they'll get departures from this team too.
All that said Hurley has recruited at a much higher level than SU for 4-5 years now. I'm also impressed with what he's done with Jackson, who I thought was a bust at the college level.

UConn had three losing seasons in a row not that long ago. They fell further and found the right coach. Let’s hope Red is ours.

Them and Nova surpassed us a while ago. Casualty of Jim holding on for so long.

We went the way of GTown while they aggressively addressed basketball needs and are in a position to compete for final fours every few years

They looked like a different team in their conference tourney. They’ll be back I have no doubts.

We will see. Jay Wright had a massive impact on that program's success. Maybe more so than any of the HOF/great coaches that have stepped down is the loss of Jay.

Just have a look below.

Screenshot_20230326_120300_Chrome.jpg

They won one game against a team that hasn’t won a game against a power 6 school in 2 years.

There‘s a reason we are rumored to be stealing their best player.
Sure but with Jay Wright still involved in the Athletics Program/University, I don’t see Nova falling off. Their best teams were never built on top 50 recruits

Sure but with Jay Wright still involved in the Athletics Program/University, I don’t see Nova falling off. Their best teams were never built on top 50 recruits

Which speaks a lot to his coaching itself.

Them and Nova surpassed us a while ago. Casualty of Jim holding on for so long.

We went the way of GTown while they aggressively addressed basketball needs and are in a position to compete for final fours every few years
It is interesting that they didn’t let Calhoun do whatever he wanted and hang around forever.

I think there’s a strong argument that he built UConn basketball to an even greater extent than Boeheim built Syracuse. UConn wasn’t in a final four a few years before Calhoun took over.

Don’t think he’s maintaining Villanova ties to watch those standards fade away. If only our hall of fame coach did the same during that time of his career

Calhoun hung around too.. albeit to a lesser extent. I think Nova will be back.. but I think you can expect an Ollie/early Hurley like period before things sort out. Certainly could be wrong but I think they will have a rough go of it for a few years. Cooley and Pitino add additional hurdles as well. English should keep the Friars relevant too. Add us being a bigger player recruiting wise too.

It is interesting that they didn’t let Calhoun do whatever he wanted and hang around forever.

I think there’s a strong argument that he built UConn basketball to an even greater extent than Boeheim built Syracuse. UConn wasn’t in a final four a few years before Calhoun took over.
Agreed. Think after several years everyone here understands common grievances with the AD and University in Jim’s handling.

To summarize my feelings, it’s clear that nostalgia and the comfort of a few far outweighed the longterm wellbeing of the program and the everyday fan’s opinion

Calhoun hung around too. I think Nova will be back.. but I think you can expect an Ollie/early Hurley like period before things sort out. Certainly could be wrong but I think they will have a rough go of it for a few years. Cooley and Pitino add additional hurdles as well. English should keep the Friars relevant too. Add us being a bigger player recruiting wise too.
Calhoun was a better coach for longer imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom