Way too early look ahead to qb in 13' | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Way too early look ahead to qb in 13'

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Broyld as a running back next to one of the others who could be used on planned or option passes. Whether the staff has anything like that on their radar, I don't know.

Next year will be wide open and each guy brings some things that could be good. There won't be any walk-ons (Cam Dantley) in the mix. The days of SU quarterbacks going 5 for 20 for 70 yards, 0TDs and two picks are gone, hopefully forever.

I think it will be Loeb for 1 year. I used to think it would be Hunt but I've changed my mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree. I also think that we will see more than 1 QB for a good part of the season. AB with the Wildcat more, etc.

I am glad people are starting to wake up to Nassib. It was lonely here for a few years being the only guy who thought he was good. to the rest of you, welcome aboard.

Next yr is going to be incredibly painful.

Backstory: The Saint didn't want Marrone and used Marrone bringing in Paulus to start over Marrone as an example of how we had made a mistake. Nassib was the alternative so promoting Nassib is part of the attack on Marrone.

Nassib has turned out to be very good but he wasn't better than Paulus as a freshman and Paulus actually had a good season in 2009. Going to him was no mistake and neither was hiring Marrone. Nassib has had his critics but also his supporters and not only Tristy. Some of the complaints, (pocket presence, deep throws), were valid and still are.

didn't loeb win a q.b. award as the top guy in a camp that included barkly and other top q.b.'s.

they were interviewing someone on a saturday talk radio show a few weeks back when the statement was made

Loeb won the Manning Camp accuracy award. Which means he can drop a ball anywhere he wants to... with no pass rush. Still, I like the accuracy and think the job next year is his for the taking. Other competition would be Hunt. Kinder needs to switch positions if possible. Have not seen enough of Broyld throwing to know where he fits, but would rather have a guy who can deliver the ball to playmakers then a runner who can kind of throw. Can't imagine how Allen could come in and take the starting job over Loeb/Hunt.

I'm just hoping that Allen and Austin get to SU for the Spring. Whoever wins out, how nice is it to have Loeb, Hunt, Kinder, Ashton, Allen and Austin to compete for the job? It's been a long time since we've had that kind of "depth". All we need is one of two to put their nose to the grindstone and make it happen.

I have been watching SU football since the 1960's and I can't ever recall having 6 QB's competing for the job. When the program has been on an even keel, it's usually been two or three. I think back to the Norley - Cristadulu (sp?) period in which 2 QBs rotated and the combo was dubbed "Noradulu"

All of this shows me that HCDM understands the critical value of a very good QB in college football.

Since McNabb --- until Nassib in his senior year --- we have been in a great QB drought.

I believe that Pasqualoni believed that it was the system that made the difference and that he could plug almost anyone into the system and get results.

well that sucks

Take solace in the fact I don't make the decision. I'm just expressing my opinion. So you still have hope!

AGree 100% Bees and I think he will provide a nice transition for the next guy whoever that is, may be Broyld, maybe Huny, maybe the kid from TX who everyone here seems to have appointed the next coming. I can see the staff sliding Broyld back to qb next year and red shirting him
There is no chance that you RS a player with AB's ability (which I think we fully see this sat.), rather its going to come down to him and Loeb at qb. If not him he'll play lots elsewhere.

Take solace in the fact I don't make the decision. I'm just expressing my opinion. So you still have hope!

I think anyone hoping to see someone other than Loeb will be disappointed.

I hope we play well enough that Loeb gets into a few games this year, and not that we play poorly enough that he gets into a few games this year.

The guy who ends up at QB will be AB, the system is taylor made for him, the read option makes the QB a triple threat to pitch ,throw, or run. The other thing is: he is actually out their playing in the system.

We'll have five QB's if we don't move Broyld to QB.

Loeb
Hunt
Kinder
Allen
Wilson

I think next season will be a 2 way race between Loeb and Hunt.

We'll have five QB's if we don't move Broyld to QB.

Loeb
Hunt
Kinder
Allen
Wilson

I think next season will be a 2 way race between Loeb and Hunt.

Can we just rule Kinder out now? Seriously, kid should change positions.

And he's kicking ass this year too. He, by the sounds of it, single handedly took down Westlake on Friday (#8 Team in Texas). 36/60, 515 Yards, 6 TD's
Anyone know what style offense Allen's Temple team runs?

It's September 10th, 2012. Nobody knows who will be the quarterback enxt eyar, not even Doug Marrone, who isn't even thinking about it. We'll have several candidates, (all of whom were recruited by this staff to run the offesne they have in mind), who will audition for the role from spring to fall and then we'll have one guy. The others will change positions or settle in as back-ups and red-shirts. We won't wind up with Noradulu.

There is no chance that you RS a player with AB's ability (which I think we fully see this sat.), rather its going to come down to him and Loeb at qb. If not him he'll play lots elsewhere.

I agree, he has been a huge difference maker the first two games and will clean up versus 1AA Stony. :) Me thinks people have VASTLY overrated an incoming player once again or should I say put too many expectations on a kid who has no position. Don't get me wrong I think Broyold will do well at Syracuse but right now he is a kid with no position and looks out of place. Wildcat is played out. That said, just my opinion he either needs to move back to QB or on defense. Either QB or defense, IMO. Linebacker would be nice, real nice

Kid is a gifted athlete but needs to find a home pretty soon otherwise talent will be wasted. The wildcat isn't enough for him.

FWIW, I have been told, the time Hunt missed will be "extremely difficult to make up."
Not to bring up old arguments, but if true, an alternative punishment may have been prudent.

My guess is that if it's Loeb, the Qbs already on the roster never see the field for us. If its Hunt or one of the frosh we feel we have a long term answer. I do think it's likely that Kinder's out of it.

On that note, interesting that we currently start a QB from PA, our backup is from the South, the two NY guys might be behind the 8 ball, the other NY guy is kind of an all purpose dude, and our incoming frosh QBs are from PA and Texas.

The nice thing about our offense is that anyone in our program-- from Loeb (who ran the fastest 40 out of our QBs a year ago, remember) to Hunt to Broyld to Allen-- can run it. Obviously one QB is going to throw more and another will run more read option, but the play book itself shouldn't change. I'd argue that Nassib's skill set is actually the worst fit out of our current and future QBs for this offense, and he's tearing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, he has been a huge difference maker the first two games and will clean up versus 1AA Stony. :) Me thinks people have VASTLY overrated an incoming player once again or should I say put too many expectations on a kid who has no position. Don't get me wrong I think Broyold will do well at Syracuse but right now he is a kid with no position and looks out of place. Wildcat is played out. That said, just my opinion he either needs to move back to QB or on defense. Either QB or defense, IMO. Linebacker would be nice, real nice

Kid is a gifted athlete but needs to find a home pretty soon otherwise talent will be wasted. The wildcat isn't enough for him.

I'll say what I said before he even officially committed. When he leaves here, it will be as a TE or a DE/LB.

Probably not. But you and he were drowned out by the critics, who find it irresistible to point to shortcomings and failures to display how smart they are. Nassib has, to me, always shown a level of competence. Not brilliance, but competence.
collegiate version of trent dilfer

May the best player win.

Doesn't remotely matter to me which player wins the job next year, provided one of them demonstrates the chops needed to help us win games.

And he's kicking ass this year too. He, by the sounds of it, single handedly took down Westlake on Friday (#8 Team in Texas). 36/60, 515 Yards, 6 TD's

The kid from Colorado was once going to be our stud QB of the future, too.

Players with AB's ability redshirt all the time. In fact, I'd argue that you could potentially make the best use of AB's ability by redshirting him, figuring out where and how he fits and then unleashing him as a redshirt frosh. I'm not saying it was a mistake to play him -- not by any means. But if they really wanted to give him a looooong look at QB or find the best way to utilize him offensively, I don't think a redshirt year would have been that terrible an idea.

Backstory: The Saint didn't want Marrone and used Marrone bringing in Paulus to start over Marrone as an example of how we had made a mistake. Nassib was the alternative so promoting Nassib is part of the attack on Marrone.

Nassib has turned out to be very good but he wasn't better than Paulus as a freshman and Paulus actually had a good season in 2009. Going to him was no mistake and neither was hiring Marrone. Nassib has had his critics but also his supporters and not only Tristy. Some of the complaints, (pocket presence, deep throws), were valid and still are.

He has lacked touch, but I've been saying for a while now that he's the best we've had at the position since McNabb. Not much doubt, in my mind.

I think anyone hoping to see someone other than Loeb will be disappointed.

I would say there is a 3% chance that Loeb is the only QB to get meaningful snaps next year. That doesn't mean he won't be the starter and primary QB, but between the chances of injury and the simple truth that someone else will be taking the snaps in '14, I'd be shocked if someone wasn't at least getting a series here and there. Especially since the precedent was set with Paulus/Nassib in DM's first season.

The kid from Colorado was once going to be our stud QB of the future, too.

The thing that drives me crazy on this board is how quickly people forget stuff like this. People here liked Miller every bit as much as they now like Allen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom