We can finish top four in the ACC. | Syracusefan.com

We can finish top four in the ACC.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
After watching the Big ten pretty much whip the ACC the past couple days there’s no doubt in my mind coach can get these guys to finish top four in the ACC. Some thoughts.

1. Duke's clearly the best team, Virginia isn't too far behind.

2. Louisville is undefeated, but they are actually a worse shooting team than us. 42%. Their guards make Cooney look like Reggie Miller. We get them at home, and don't go there.

3. We are better than UNC. They have one shooter like us. We beat Iowa on a neutral court, and they lost at home shooting 28 percent.

4. Miami is good, but we get them in the Dome.

5. Notre Dame will be tough at their place, but by February 24th I think we will have cut down on a lot of the stupid mistakes we are making, and they typically struggle against the zone.

6. Pittsburgh is a mess.

7. Besides going to Duke, UNC, and Pitt the rest of our road games look to be against the cellar dwellers.

I'm not guaranteeing we are going to finish in the top four of the ACC, but I think it's important to remember when judging Syracuse, you must look at the entire landscape of the ACC and College Basketball in its entirety. I am very confident now that Iowa will end up as a tournament team. The ACC looks to be down this year. We just need to keep getting better and I believe our ceiling is higher than virtually everyone else in the Conference not named Duke.

7. Besides going to Duke, UNC, and Pitt the rest of our road games look to be against the cellar dwellers.

I was really pleased with the Michigan game compared to the Cal game. I am feeling more positive about this team. There's still a lot of work to be done on defense, offense, turn-overs, and foul shooting. I like the potential I am seeing in CMac and KJ2. If TC can shoot consistently like he did during the Michigan game we have a chance for some good upsets. Some of the other bench players have to start making bigger contributions: RP, BJ, TR. If TC is not shooting well RP, BJ, or TR has to step up with some points for this team to win. I think maybe Silent G should get more playing time but I think coach is trying to make sure TR is getting PT.

Can we? Certainly. I think that the ACC will prove to be pretty top heavy by seasons end with Duke, Virginia and Lville winning most of their games. After that there are a couple of good teams then a couple OK teams followed by a lot of trash. We need to improve and get more contributions from Roberson IMO. If Roberson can really emerge as a guy who can play 20-25 productive minutes then we can use Mike more as a guard which rests Cooney and Kaleb more plus allows Chris and even Rak a little rest when Mike is at the 3. Buss is another guy that could give us good minutes but a frontcourt player is more of a need right now IMO since Mike is able to play both guard spots.

Louisville will press us. I am not convinced that we can keep the turnovers down against them and JB doesn't have the best record against Pitino or his brand of basketball.

I don't know what to think about MG. He looked pretty good late in the second half against Michigan, the couple of games prior not so good. In that game the points that he got came from driving to the hoop, I still can't remember the last jump shot he hit. I think we need someone at the in that spot who can hit a shot from outside of 10 feet, or Kaleb needs to step up his shooting. If we are getting a huge percentage of our scoring inside from Rak and Mac, its going to be really hard for MG to drive to the hoop unless someone is forcing teams to takes us seriously and guard us away from the hoop.

The teams that are really good have at least 2 guys who are multi dimensional on offense. We really don't have anyone like that other than Chris a bit. I think Mike could be a bit like that if his shot starts falling. Kaleb will be eventually. Cooney is trying but not that successfully and he should be able to pump and have an open lane every time so its hard to imagine him ever becoming good off the bounce. Tyler and BJ have the tools to be multidimensional but right now both are struggling to be successful at any one thing consistently.

After watching the Big ten pretty much whip the ACC the past couple days there’s no doubt in my mind coach can get these guys to finish top four in the ACC. Some thoughts.

1. Duke's clearly the best team, Virginia isn't too far behind.

2. Louisville is undefeated, but they are actually a worse shooting team than us. 42%. Their guards make Cooney look like Reggie Miller. We get them at home, and don't go there.

3. We are better than UNC. They have one shooter like us. We beat Iowa on a neutral court, and they lost at home shooting 28 percent.

4. Miami is good, but we get them in the Dome.

5. Notre Dame will be tough at their place, but by February 24th I think we will have cut down on a lot of the stupid mistakes we are making, and they typically struggle against the zone.

6. Pittsburgh is a mess.

I'm not guaranteeing we are going to finish in the top four of the ACC, but I think it's important to remember when judging Syracuse, you must look at the entire landscape of the ACC and College Basketball in its entirety. I am very confident now that Iowa will end up as a tournament team. The ACC looks to be down this year. We just need to keep getting better and I believe our ceiling is higher than virtually everyone else in the Conference not named Duke.

We get Pittsburgh twice, right? No way we sweep them again.

But I agree that this team has a high ceiling and could finish near the top of an average league. (We could also go 9-9, but if we improve, it doesn't look like there are a ton of likely losses on the schedule. This isn't the 1985 or 2009 Big East.)

Can we? Certainly. I think that the ACC will prove to be pretty top heavy by seasons end with Duke, Virginia and Lville winning most of their games. After that there are a couple of good teams then a couple OK teams followed by a lot of trash. We need to improve and get more contributions from Roberson IMO. If Roberson can really emerge as a guy who can play 20-25 productive minutes then we can use Mike more as a guard which rests Cooney and Kaleb more plus allows Chris and even Rak a little rest when Mike is at the 3. Buss is another guy that could give us good minutes but a frontcourt player is more of a need right now IMO since Mike is able to play both guard spots.

I agree. TR will play a pivotal role in the teams success. I was really please by how well RP played defense his second time out on the floor against Michigan.

Louisville will press us. I am not convinced that we can keep the turnovers down against them and JB doesn't have the best record against Pitino or his brand of basketball.

I'm not convinced we'll be able to get the ball over half court against Louisville.

Still, in what little I've seen of them this year, they seem pretty hot and cold. They can blow the doors open and then fall apart for stretches.

I'm feeling good about the season and think after the top 3 in the ACC that we can compete for the 4th spot.

The teams that are really good have at least 2 guys who are multi dimensional on offense. We really don't have anyone like that other than Chris a bit. I think Mike could be a bit like that if his shot starts falling. Kaleb will be eventually. Cooney is trying but not that successfully and he should be able to pump and have an open lane every time so its hard to imagine him ever becoming good off the bounce. Tyler and BJ have the tools to be multidimensional but right now both are struggling to be successful at any one thing consistently.

Silent G driving to the hoop was sensational. He needs to do more of that.

I don't know what to think about MG. He looked pretty good late in the second half against Michigan, the couple of games prior not so good. In that game the points that he got came from driving to the hoop, I still can't remember the last jump shot he hit. I think we need someone at the in that spot who can hit a shot from outside of 10 feet, or Kaleb needs to step up his shooting. If we are getting a huge percentage of our scoring inside from Rak and Mac, its going to be really hard for MG to drive to the hoop unless someone is forcing teams to takes us seriously and guard us away from the hoop.

No doubt thinking about it today the Lville game is scary but the good news is that's its a long way off and there have been plenty of years where I think Lville or Nova's press is going to kill us but if we lose to them it usually ends up being because we miss shots and they attack the zone well especially getting and making their open 3's.

I agree. TR will play a pivotal role in the teams success. I was really please by how well RP played defense his second time out on the floor against Michigan.

Tyler Roberson = Amile Jefferson of Duke. Not a bad player.

Can he be that type of player. Don't think he will ever become that go to, or option.

Louisville is amazing. Not sure how anyone could watch them and not think Final 4 contender. They are also a horrible matchup for us. Freshman PG, a SG with mediocre handle and no forwards who are good with the ball (maybe G). We might have 30 turnovers vs them.

The top 3 is pretty much clear, thats for sure... but to put us ahead of UNC or Pitt or ND or Miami, is a bit premature IMO.

No doubt thinking about it today the Lville game is scary but the good news is that's its a long way off and there have been plenty of years where I think Lville or Nova's press is going to kill us but if we lose to them it usually ends up being because we miss shots and they attack the zone well especially getting and making their open 3's.

I love that we get Louisville at home this year. I'm not sure that they have the shooters this year they normally have. Jones and Rozier aren't good shooters. Blackshear is ok. There bread and butter this year is inside, and that plays to our strength.

I'm not convinced we'll be able to get the ball over half court against Louisville.

Still, in what little I've seen of them this year, they seem pretty hot and cold. They can blow the doors open and then fall apart for stretches.

I'm feeling good about the season and think after the top 3 in the ACC that we can compete for the 4th spot.

And we will be much especially with basic fundamental stuff by then. Still if we struggle to shoot and don't get points off of breaking their press it could be a long night. It will be interesting to see if JB goes kind of all or nothing and attempts to repeatedly attack Nova and Lville's presses.

Louisville is amazing. Not sure how anyone could watch them and not think Final 4 contender. They are also a horrible matchup for us. Freshman PG, a SG with mediocre handle and no forwards who are good with the ball (maybe G). We might have 30 turnovers vs them.

The top 3 is pretty much clear, thats for sure... but to put us ahead of UNC or Pitt or ND or Miami, is a bit premature IMO.

UNC just lost to a team at home we beat on a neutral court. Pittsburgh lost to Hawaii and already has been blown out at home. We get Miami at the dome. It's not a stretch at all to say we are better than those teams. Louisville's guards shoot worse than your whipping boy.

Perhaps you've only seen Lville playing well. Yes they are very good but they were pretty flat and played poorly for a long stretch in the second half at home against Illinois. I think it was a 3pt game with about 2:30 to go. I think they finish top 3 in the ACC but they are not without their issues and far from amazing IMO.

No one is putting us ahead of UNC, PITT, ND or MIAMI just saying if we improve we could finish in front of those teams as none of them are all that scary this season.

UNC just lost to a team at home we beat on a neutral court. Pittsburgh lost to Hawaii and already has been blown out at home. We get Miami at the dome. It's not a stretch at all to say we are better than those teams. Louisville's guards shoot worse than your whipping boy.

agree to disagree.

Perhaps you've only seen Lville playing well. Yes they are very good but they were pretty flat and played poorly for a long stretch in the second half at home against Illinois. I think it was a 3pt game with about 2:30 to go. I think they finish top 3 in the ACC but they are not without their issues and far from amazing IMO.

No one is putting us ahead of UNC, PITT, ND or MIAMI just saying if we improve we could finish in front of those teams as none of them are all that scary this season.

time will tell. i hope so, but i think thats a stretch. of course it COULD happen, we could also finish below BC, Wake, Nc State, etc...
i think we will finish around 6th or 7th.

My ACC picks now

1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Louisville
4. Miami
5. Syracuse
6. North Carolina
7. Notre Dame
NCAA teams
8. Pittsburgh
9. Georgia Tech
10.NC State
bubble teams

no postseason
11. Florida State
12. Boston College
13. Virginia Tech
14. Clemson
15. Wake Forest

We can finish top 4 and we'll continue to improve but UNC seems to improve greatly as the season goes on and I'm in the camp that says Louisville forces 20+ turnovers and beats us by double digits.

My ACC picks now

1. Duke
2. Virginia
3. Louisville
4. Miami
5. Syracuse
6. North Carolina
7. Notre Dame
NCAA teams
8. Pittsburgh
9. Georgia Tech
10.NC State
bubble teams

no postseason
11. Florida State
12. Boston College
13. Virginia Tech
14. Clemson
15. Wake Forest

Seems about right. I think 2 and 3 could go either way really depends on how both teams are whistled in ACC play. Lville fouls more than anyone in the open court and pressing while Virginia fouls more than anyone in the half court (yes even more than Pitt). I also think 4-7 could be jumbled around in almost any order and be a reasonable prediction although I doubt very much ND does better than 6th.

We can finish top 4 and we'll continue to improve but UNC seems to improve greatly as the season goes on and I'm in the camp that says Louisville forces 20+ turnovers and beats us by double digits.
UNC can't shoot. If they don't get a ton of offensive rebounds or get points in transition they will lose games. They only have Paige. I agree they will get better, but they aren't much better than last year.

UNC can't shoot. If they don't get a ton of offensive rebounds or get points in transition they will lose games. They only have Paige. I agree they will get better, but they aren't much better than last year.

Although they have some new players in the rotation that might develop as shooters. Its doubtful but you never know. What they do is get more and more used to running which is more effective down the stretch of seasons IMO. They also generally improve on defense under Roy because its all about getting out and going in his system which is hard to do without stops and defensive rebounds. Either way they look to be a good match up for us once again this year and in general JB's system is one that Roy's system struggles with. Much like JB's system struggles more with Dixon's system regardless of talent level.

Seems about right. I think 2 and 3 could go either way really depends on how both teams are whistled in ACC play. Lville fouls more than anyone in the open court and pressing while Virginia fouls more than anyone in the half court (yes even more than Pitt). I also think 4-7 could be jumbled around in almost any order and be a reasonable prediction although I doubt very much ND does better than 6th.
IMO, UVA could win the NC in March. I can't see UL winning the NC. That is why I have UVA 2nd. Louisville's depth isn't good enough to win a NC they hack like crazy and their depth will kill them in a March game.

UVA locks teams down in the half-court and while they foul they dominate teams in the half-court. I am not joking when I say we could struggle to crack 40 points against UVA. They just grind teams on defensive make them eat a lot of shot clock and run off their defense. We could see a game against UVA where the first team to 40 wins.

ND is a smart team they just will blow games because of their DNA and coach. I agree 4th-7th could be anybody. I like UM because Rodriguez/Jakiri outside-inside duo.

IMO, UVA could win the NC in March. I can't see UL winning the NC. That is why I have UVA 2nd. Louisville's depth isn't good enough to win a NC they hack like crazy and their depth will kill them in a March game.

UVA locks teams down in the half-court and while they foul they dominate teams in the half-court. I am not joking when I say we could struggle to crack 40 points against UVA. They just grind teams on defensive make them eat a lot of shot clock and run off their defense. We could see a game against UVA where the first team to 40 wins.

ND is a smart team they just will blow games because of their DNA and coach. I agree 4th-7th could be anybody. I like UM because Rodriguez/Jakiri outside-inside duo.

UVA's style of halfcourt defense exploits and highlights everything that is wrong with the way college bball is called other than the block/charge because they aren't floppers. Its very successful and you can't fault them if it works but it needs to be fixed. I think Bennett is an excellent coach who will do well no matter how games are called but I am very tired of seeing defenses get every advantage in college bball which forces it more and more into a jump shooting sport with big rebounding scrums. UVA is deep and has some really well rounded smart players. I like the way Bennett runs his offense as they often get very good shots.

ND will lose games because they will have to be very good down the stretch of every game to beat the better teams since they aren't stopping anyone consistently IMO. Still they are pretty good and its they type of team Brey does well with.

I really like Rodriguez!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom