We got a depth chart... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We got a depth chart...

Wow. Lots of interesting stuff here.

Foster: I thought another poster said he gained even more weight this offseason but it looks like he actually dropped from 223 to 215. I'm fine with that.

Black: For as strong and ripped as he is, he actually lost a couple pounds from last year which is a little disappointing to me. Down to 270.

Okechukwu from 240 last year to 261 this year is nice to see. Seems like there is a good shot he will be one in the DT rotation next year.

Jason Munoz coming in at 243 is actually disapointing. I thought it was reported he was heavier than this already. Really want him to be big enough to play DT and we need size for 2020 which does not give guys too much time.

Bergeron coming in at 311 is very nice.

Lakeim WIliams drop from 234 to 225 is interesting. Lost some bad weight I assume which should make him super fast.

Elmore from 282 last year to 295 lbs this year. Wow. That is a big HB, FB, TE or whatever you want to call him. I know they like him on offense but with his size and speed I don't think a change to DT next year is out of the question.

Pickard down from 251 to 234 is peculiar. I doubt he plays much if at all but was that planned by him strategically or is he just not hitting the gym?

McKinly Williams from 295 to 282 is interesting. Seems our staff is preferring strong but extra agile guys more than extra beef.

Cam Jordan up from 202 to 216. That's beastly. Interesting to see if he can earn some PT.

Garrison Johnson coming in at a large 237. I'm going to guess that may not all be clean weight.

Abdul Adams down from 209 to 202 means this kid will be blazing and play in an all purpose back role for sure.

Heckel down from 294 to 280 lbs is strange to me. Especially since they have him penciled in a guard currently. I think he moves back to Center though.

Servais down from 293 to 273 is a bit baffling. I'm guessing they really want him mobile at Tackle even though he is currently listed at Center.

Ryan Alexander coming in at 307 is great. I am guessing he works himself into a starter role.

Evan Adams bulking up even more from 326 to 352 is pretty shocking. That is enormous.

Depth chart thoughts:
The OL is interesting and I am guessing only one guy stays in the starting role where listed. I think Alexander takes over for Red at RT. Maybe Servais was getting beat a bit too much by our impressive edge rushers in the spring and they dropped his weight but I think Servais moves back to LT. I'm guessing protecting the outside edge of Devito's blind side is a large priority. I would think Heckel moves back to Center and likely Dakota Davis or possibly Vettorello wins a spot at LG.

Interesting Sharod is the back-up at both outside WR positions. Seems he may have a hold of the 3rd spot there or maybe that is just because Hendrix has been inured and hasn't had an opportunity to prove himself yet. Or maybe the staff doesn't want to list one of Cam Jordan or Hendrix ahead of each other yet?? Interesting they have an "or" for Courney Jackson with Nykeim. I think he looks fantastic but still a strong statement by Babers this early.

Considering there are only 2 LB spots shown these are the players and positions I expected. I think Lakeim will be solid.

This starting set of DB's is going to be absolutely filthy. Great size and speed and great deal of experience. And our back-ups are really solid. Scoop with all his experience at one CB spot and Carl Jones at the other who runs like a 4.28 at 6-1, 189 lbs. That dude would probably have been our best corner most years in the last decade.

I'm Stoked! Lets play some games!

Last edited:
Anybody particularly impressing Tommy out of the wideouts this summer? I’ve been impressed with most of them since setting foot on campus.
Anybody particularly impressing Tommy out of the wideouts this summer? I’ve been impressed with most of them since setting foot on campus.
Going back to last year Tommy and Eric were high on sharod

Going back to last year Tommy and Eric were high on sharod
I always thought Sharod would develop into a player but I was guessing it was going to be at a slot position. But we are loaded there right now with Riley, Nykeim and Courtney. Sharrod seems like he has good speed, can run great routes and has really solid hands. I can see him working really well with Devitos accuracy and timing but I really like having a taller guy on the outside who can go up and get it when the QB needs bailed out. Seems like that is pretty big part of our offense so i'm slightly apprehensive about him winning a spot on the outside.

Trill
CF
IFFY
Foster
Cisco

I am not going out on a limb saying every name of the above, our projected starting Db’s at this time, has draft potential. Iffy looked like an absolute monster vs UNC, albeit he had fresh legs coming in.

I mean, I know my glasses are colored orange, but that looks like a big boy secondary that could play for most schools. Between that and the DEs, it’s D talent we’re not accustomed to. Hope the DTs and LBs are up to the task.

I always thought Sharod would develop into a player but I was guessing it was going to be at a slot position. But we are loaded there right now with Riley, Nykeim and Courtney. Sharrod seems like he has good speed, can run great routes and has really solid hands. I can see him working really well with Devitos accuracy and timing but I really like having a taller guy on the outside who can go up and get it when the QB needs bailed out. Seems like that is pretty big part of our offense so i'm slightly apprehensive about him winning a spot on the outside.
We don’t have really tall guys
Cam is tall and he may crack the lineup to

Wow. Lots of interesting stuff here.

Foster: I thought another poster said he gained even more weight this offseason but it looks like he actually dropped from 223 to 215. I'm fine with that.

Black: For as strong and ripped as he is, he actually lost a couple pounds from last year which is a little disappointing to me. Down to 270.

Okechukwu from 240 last year to 261 this year is nice to see. Seems like there is a good shot he will be one in the DT rotation next year.

Jason Munoz coming in at 243 is actually disapointing. I thought it was reported he was heavier than this already. Really want him to be big enough to play DT and we need size for 2020 which does not give guys too much time.

Bergeron coming in at 311 is very nice.

Lakeim WIliams drop from 234 to 225 is interesting. Lost some bad weight I assume which should make him super fast.

Elmore from 282 last year to 295 lbs this year. Wow. That is a big HB, FB, TE or whatever you want to call him. I know they like him on offense but with his size and speed I don't think a change to DT next year is out of the question.

Pickard down from 251 to 234 is peculiar. I doubt he plays much if at all but was that planned by him strategically or is he just not hitting the gym?

McKinly Williams from 295 to 282 is interesting. Seems our staff is preferring strong but extra agile guys more than extra beef.

Cam Jordan up from 202 to 216. That's beastly. Interesting to see if he can earn some PT.

Garrison Johnson coming in at a large 237. I'm going to guess that may not all be clean weight.

Abdul Adams down from 209 to 202 means this kid will be blazing and play in an all purpose back role for sure.

Heckel down from 294 to 280 lbs is strange to me. Especially since they have him penciled in a guard currently. I think he moves back to Center though.

Servais down from 293 to 273 is a bit baffling. I'm guessing they really want him mobile at Tackle even though he is currently listed at Center.

Ryan Alexander coming in at 307 is great. I am guessing he works himself into a starter role.

Evan Adams bulking up even more from 326 to 352 is pretty shocking. That is enormous.

I'm actually encouraged by Munoz. There were some Miami fans saying he he had lost 50-60 pounds or something crazy like that due to his illness. At 243, with a redshirt year, that gives him a full year and a half to put on 30-35 pounds. I think that's very doable for him to be in that 270 range as a RF with the dietary and strength program in place here.

I believe he was in the 260-270 range before his illness.

I mean, I know my glasses are colored orange, but that looks like a big boy secondary that could play for most schools. Between that and the DEs, it’s D talent we’re not accustomed to. Hope the DTs and LBs are up to the task.

Have to agree. CF might be the lowest ceiling guy on there and his ceiling is probably an NFL Draft Pick. Iffy & Trill have a chance to be the best CB duo we have ever had.

And your list doesn't include Bradshaw, who I didn't think had a particularly strong season in 2018 but at any given point over the last 20 years probably could have been our best secondary guy.

Last edited:
IMO there are some big wows on the depth chart, some really interesting moves and backups and some omissions.
Would love to hear you expand on this. Not disputing it, just curious.

We don’t have really tall guys
Cam is tall and he may crack the lineup to
Cam and Hendrix both 6'3 & RTB is 6'1, while Sharod Johnson listed at 5'11 which still isn't terrible. Is there any indication on those larger 3 WRs, particularly Hendrix?

Cam and Hendrix both 6'3 & RTB is 6'1, while Sharod Johnson listed at 5'11 which still isn't terrible. Is there any indication on those larger 3 WRs, particularly Hendrix?

Hendrix got hurt. Again.
Saw him walking around at CWB game, and he 144% looks the part of an elite college WR.
IF he can get and stay healthy, he could definitely be in the mix on the outside.

Would love to hear you expand on this. Not disputing it, just curious.

Just thoughts.

How about Running Back. I think it's pretty surprising that it's Neal, Adams Or Howard. You'd think it'd be a foregone conclusion but the coaches didn't list it that way. Jarveon Howard maybe made some huge leaps to be in the mix or maybe I'm reading it wrong but the job appears to be open. (there's only 1 other OR on the entire depth chart including the OLine and that OR is meaningless b/c Riley and Johnson will both be on the field a lot in a 4-WR set.)

WR. They listed 3. Sharod #2 at both outside spots. He jumped Jordan, RTB, Queeley and Hendrix (injury) to the point they didn't bother to list anyone else.

OL. Vettorelo back up center? Heckel starting guard? I think some of this is just noise but it's interesting. Wow on Adams weight - road grader. Pat Davis and Mike Clark omitted. Anthony Red FRosh penciled in #1. some wows and interesting moves along the line. Super curious to see how it shakes out. Singly most important position battle in my opinion as Tommy DeVito takes the reigns.

DL - Harper mia.
LB - MJones #2
S - Clark wins #2 job over Jonas. Jonas listed at 210 - love the size.

Last edited:
Trill
CF
IFFY
Foster
Cisco

I am not going out on a limb saying every name of the above, our projected starting Db’s at this time, has draft potential. Iffy looked like an absolute monster vs UNC, albeit he had fresh legs coming in.
Scoop backing up one and Jones the other. Wow that back 5 I’s loaded

Just thoughts.

How about Running Back. I think it's pretty surprising that it's Neal, Adams Or Howard. You'd think it'd be a foregone conclusion but the coaches didn't list it that way. Jarveon Howard maybe made some huge leaps to be in mix or maybe I'm reading it wrong but the job appears to be open. (there's only 1 other OR on the entire depth chart including the OLine and that OR is meaningless b/c Riley and Johnson will both be on the field a lot in a 4-WR set.)

WR. They listed 3. Sharod #2 at both outside spots. He jumped Jordan, RTB, Queeley and Hendrix (injury) to the point they didn't bother to list anyone else.

OL. Vettorelo back up center? Heckel starting guard? I think some of this is just noise but it's interesting. Wow on Adams weight - road grader. Pat Davis and Mike Clark omitted. Anthony Red FRosh penciled in #1. some wows and interesting moves along the line. Super curious to see how it shakes out. Singly most important position battle in my opinion as Tommy DeVito takes the reigns.

DL - Harper mia.
LB - MJones #2

Re: RB - will likely be a lot like last year.
Only instead of Moe & Tae Strick, with Jarveon coming in here and there, it'll be Adams replacing Strick.
I like how they used Howard last year, 2nd half battering ram against worn-down D-lines.

I also expect to see smattering of Jawhar Jordan mixed in (at least 4 games worth, anyway), since he's a gamebreaker.

DL - Harper mia.
LB - MJones #2
Perhpas Jonas did not get as many full-speed reps last year as he was returning from August 2017 knee injury/surgery? Think about it, he has not played football since the fall of 2016.

Staff might be taking the slow/deliberate path with him. At this point, it might be more about mastering the mental game as opposed to the physical.

Just thoughts.

How about Running Back. I think it's pretty surprising that it's Neal, Adams Or Howard. You'd think it'd be a foregone conclusion but the coaches didn't list it that way. Jarveon Howard maybe made some huge leaps to be in mix or maybe I'm reading it wrong but the job appears to be open. (there's only 1 other OR on the entire depth chart including the OLine and that OR is meaningless b/c Riley and Johnson will both be on the field a lot in a 4-WR set.)

DL - Harper mia.
LB - MJones #2

Obligatory qualifier echoing what is stated above, I wouldn't read too much into a depth chart released weeks before anybody steps onto the practice field.

But I was similarly surprised not to see P. Davis listed in the two-deep.

Honestly,k I'm not sure that this listing matters much at this point -- I'd expect it to change substantially even during the first week of camp. No doubt -- some of it is "motivational" for certain players.

Hendrix got hurt. Again.
Saw him walking around at CWB game, and he 144% looks the part of an elite college WR.
IF he can get and stay healthy, he could definitely be in the mix on the outside.
Yea going back and watching his SR year tape he looks like the type of player we could use in the redzone. Bring in the jumbo package and have him lined up out wide catching fades.
Just thoughts.

DL - Harper mia.
LB - MJones #2

Yea a lot of good points. That's the thing about Cordy is we are so loaded in the secondary. It is easy to forget about Jonas when you have the guys we have on the 2 deep plus Neil Nunn (guess that's what he's going to go by), but I love Jonas.

This staff loves the OR designation as a motivator I'm almost surprised we don't see more. I think at WR the staff is definitely making a statement putting Sharod Johnson at both backup outside slots. I also expect Courtney Jackson to be heavily involved and see that OR designation as somewhat important even if it does not hold any "starting" implications. Jackson and Jawhar Jordan should be the two true freshmen that get touches on offense.

At RB, I think the staff is making less of a statement. Moe Neal has been at Syracuse for 4 years. He has been exciting and that paired with his experience means he should start the season as the "starter". I think Adams will be a workhorse as well and I love that he lost a few pounds. I think Jarveon Howard is the clear 3rd running back, but I would not want him to transfer out. If I could change anything I would make it Moe Neal OR Abdul Adams followed by Jarveon Howard as the lone listed backup, but I think the current depth chart accomplishes much of the same.

As far as Harper being MIA, the top 8 DL have been pretty entrenched. I don't think this is a negative indication against Harper, I just think the praise has fallen on the DEs but our DTs are being slept on (Williams has been very good, Black is a beast even if he lost weight, Ruff found himself on the freak 50 list, and Richards also played inside on pass rushing situations and that package should continue)

At LB, I was not shocked to see one of Mikel Jones or Lee Kpogba on the 2 deep. I agree it is definitely exciting news, but I believe our 2 young IMG LBs are the best 2 LBs on the team. Armstrong and Williams get the nod for now with their experience but I am excited about Juan Wallace, Mikel Jones, and Lee Kpogba. I would love to see Mikel Jones start week 1 against Liberty. I think we all know that Armstrong is solid, but not spectacular and if Jones can surpass him I feel really good about our defense as a whole.

At OL I agree it is certainly a mess and the biggest development to keep an eye on. The bright side is we return 98 college starts on the offensive line which is good for 16th best in the country (out of 129). Anything could happen there seems like a lot of battles and jostling to get the best 5 out there. At least we have a lot of versatility to make that happen.

I'm actually encouraged by Munoz. There were some Miami fans saying he he had lost 50-60 pounds or something crazy like that due to his illness. At 243, with a redshirt year, that gives him a full year and a half to put on 30-35 pounds. I think that's very doable for him to be in that 270 range as a RF with the dietary and strength program in place here.

I believe he was in the 260-270 range before his illness.
I mean, the Miami fans were completely just trying to justify him flipping to us. He didn't lose 50-60 pounds.

Re: RB - will likely be a lot like last year.
Only instead of Moe & Tae Strick, with Jarveon coming in here and there, it'll be Adams replacing Strick.
I like how they used Howard last year, 2nd half battering ram against worn-down D-lines.

I also expect to see smattering of Jawhar Jordan mixed in (at least 4 games worth, anyway), since he's a gamebreaker.

But last year was clearly defined and was stated as such on the depth chart. This isn't. Howard as a situational back would not get an OR. They're listing 3 backs - it's a 2 deep. Maybe I'm splitting hairs but they don't do it for any other position except for slot.

At RB, I think the staff is making less of a statement. Moe Neal has been at Syracuse for 4 years. He has been exciting and that paired with his experience means he should start the season as the "starter". I think Adams will be a workhorse as well and I love that he lost a few pounds. I think Jarveon Howard is the clear 3rd running back, but I would not want him to transfer out. If I could change anything I would make it Moe Neal OR Abdul Adams followed by Jarveon Howard as the lone listed backup, but I think the current depth chart accomplishes much of the same.

What we think is why I said a foregone conclusion but it's not listed that way. They could've simply listed Neal or Adams and left it at that. They put a 3rd back in the mix. It's not for motivating. It's not for transferring. Do I think he starts ? no, but they way it's listed didn't have to be listed that way. Its curious to me.

Did I miss something? I don't see Lee Kpogba in the depth chart either. I figured with our turnover at LB that him and MJones would both get some run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom