We had this game | Syracusefan.com

We had this game

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Which is strange given we were down pretty much the entire game. Top team on the road so I expected a loss but wow, we killed ourselves.

Haven't seen that many offensive fouls (turnovers) in a long time.

SO many 4 points swings and turnovers leading directly to lay-ups. Not sure how many more times Richardson is going to try to drive into UNC :( .

Man.. we had this. Love the heart though, but would have loved to take these guys down! Can't question the grit tonight. JB seemed relatively reserved, I thought.

Big game against FSU.

MVP for Carolina was Malachi Richardson

His horrific shot selection lead to multiple Carolina Layups

His best contributions were when his offensive fouls lead to dead ball situations where Carolina couldn't fast break

I feel like if you watched this game without a scoreboard you would think UNC would have won 75-40. Weird game; surprising that we were down 3 with 16seconds left and had the ball

Insanely strange game. UNC had a 6-8 point lead most of the second half, but yet we had our chances. Very similar to our last game vs NC State.

Insanely strange game. UNC had a 6-8 point lead most of the second half, but yet we had our chances. Very similar to our last game vs NC State.
UNC made more 3's. Shot better % from the field. Out rebounded us by 6 overall and 7 on the offensive glass. Had less turnovers. But we had a chance to tie with under 20 seconds left.

UNC made more 3's. Shot better % from the field. Out rebounded us by 6 overall and 7 on the offensive glass. Had less turnovers. But we had a chance to tie with under 20 seconds left.
That's because Carolina isn't that good . If our players played their normal game we win going away

That's because Carolina isn't that good . If our players played their normal game we win going away
I do think they are a bit overrated. I love Johnson, Jackson and Hicks -- the rest of their squad leaves a lot to be desired. But let's be honest, they are a terrible matchup for us. I think Roy is a below average coach but they're just so much bigger and stronger than us that it's hard to overcome. Sucks to say but if Trev played like he did vs. UNC at the Dome today, we win easily.

I do think they are a bit overrated. I love Johnson, Jackson and Hicks -- the rest of their squad leaves a lot to be desired. But let's be honest, they are a terrible matchup for us. I think Roy is a below average coach but they're just so much bigger and stronger than us that it's hard to overcome. Sucks to say but if Trev played like he did vs. UNC at the Dome today, we win easily.

I don't think they are a terrible matchup for us . It's counterintuitive

We're going to get pummeled inside no matter who we face . I'd rather face a team that has crap guards and poor outside shooting because then we only get killed inside instead of inside and out

Last edited:
I don't think they are a terrible matchup for us . It's counterintuitive

We're going to get pummeled inside no matter who we face . I'd rather face a team that has crap guards and poor outside shooting because then we only get killed inside instrad of inside and out

and don't forget a coach that allows his relatively poor shooting team with a HUGE inside advantage to shoot 6 of 25 from 3....ouch. I didn't think they had that much trouble getting the ball to the free throw line, except when they couldn't do it because they had already launched a 3 (obviously we deterred that pass some tonight, but I don't think Carolina looked for it nearly as much as they should have.)

But the thing is, we don't have a "normal" game! We have never played to our abilities except in the Bahamas. THAT was who we were. We play timidly. We could have won this game. We had so many opportunities.

If TWO of our players in any given game stepped up and took the game on their shoulders, we would be winning going away. If FOUR, we are unstoppable.

My Carolina friends do not feel they looked too good.

But the thing is, we don't have a "normal" game! We have never played to our abilities except in the Bahamas. THAT was who we were. We play timidly. We could have won this game. We had so many opportunities.

If TWO of our players in any given game stepped up and took the game on their shoulders, we would be winning going away. If FOUR, we are unstoppable.

My Carolina friends do not feel they looked too good.

I'll see you and raise you a few: Box score shows SU with only 2 TOs, but that has to be wrong. I've never seen Cuse throw the ball away so much, or mishandle rebounds, or create offensive fouls, or tip rebounds to the other team, or have the ball ripped out of their grasp. Couple that with giving away 8 points to the Heels at the FT line in a 5-pt. loss, and it's more than an OrFan can bear. Definitely was a winnable game.-VBOF

If we could shoot 3 pointers consistently, we'd be a damned dangerous team. Another night at the 25% mark for us and we missed a BUNCH of wide open looks.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839209

I really do believe Mal's wrist is still bothering him badly. And Cooney HAS TO START hitting the wide open ones. It's nonsense the number of shots he misses.

I'll see you and raise you a few: Box score shows SU with only 2 TOs, but that has to be wrong. I've never seen Cuse throw the ball away so much, or mishandle rebounds, or create offensive fouls, or tip rebounds to the other team, or have the ball ripped out of their grasp. Couple that with giving away 8 points to the Heels at the FT line in a 5-pt. loss, and it's more than an OrFan can bear. Definitely was a winnable game.-VBOF

We had 15 Turnovers. You are looking at the blocks column right next to the TO column.

If we could shoot 3 pointers consistently, we'd be a damned dangerous team. Another night at the 25% mark for us and we missed a BUNCH of wide open looks.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839209

I really do believe Mal's wrist is still bothering him badly. And Cooney HAS TO START hitting the wide open ones. It's nonsense the number of shots he misses.

3/11 is 27%, exactly what he's shot the last 10 games. Remarkable consistency actually.

Got to the line tonight though.

3/11 is 27%, exactly what he's shot the last 10 games. Remarkable consistency actually.

Got to the line tonight though.

I'd love to jump on the beat up Cooney bandwagon tonight, but as a team we shot 25% tonight. We have to be better than that. But he, as the SHOOTING GUARD, needs to lead the way, I agree.

I'd love to jump on the beat up Cooney bandwagon tonight, but as a team we shot 25% tonight. We have to be better than that. But he, as the SHOOTING GUARD, needs to lead the way, I agree.

Just a statistic.

Sidenote- I just wanna make the damn tournament. PLEASE come to play saturday. I love March!

Just a statistic.

Sidenote- I just wanna make the damn tournament. PLEASE come to play saturday. I love March!

Agreed. Last year absolutely sucked.

Sidenote to your sidenote. We held them to 24% shooting from three. And I thought did a much better job of defending the inside tonight. The fast breaks are really what did us in. And the empty possessions of our own.

We had 15 Turnovers. You are looking at the blocks column right next to the TO column.
Original box score was wrong. . . it's since been updated to 7 TOs for G, which is accurate, but abysmal! And you can wipe out my comment on giving away FTs to the Heels. . . that, too, has been since changed in the box score.-VBOF

Agreed. Last year absolutely sucked.

Sidenote to your sidenote. We held them to 24% shooting from three. And I thought did a much better job of defending the inside tonight. The fast breaks are really what did us in. And the empty possessions of our own.

4 point swings.

I honestly don't think I've ever watched a Carolina game where Marcus Paige looked good, or stood out in some way. He always goes 1-7 from 3, but gets an annoying and-one call late in the game against us, and the announcers go apeshit about how much of a stud he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom