We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that

How did he get any votes at all? ND was 2-8 and there were a number of players with more impressive numbers. John Brodie from Stanford had 12 tds to 14 int with nearly twice the yards and his team beat USC who beat ND. None of Hornung's stats were Heisman worthy that year and the team was bad.

The way works now is not how it worked then. Today for example a voter would vote for Baker mayfield for 1st and he would vote for another guy 2nd or third. another voter would vote for different guy first and mayfield 2nd. so the 2nd and 3rd place guy would get weighted votes. back then no weighted votes. so say there were a total of 60 voters. and for example Paul H got 20 votes and guy 1 got 15 and guy 2 got 15 and guy 3 got 10 votes . Paul H wins. under today's way it would never happen. Apparently when Paul won it was very divided and he won because of that

The way works now is not how it worked then. Today for example a voter would vote for Baker mayfield for 1st and he would vote for another guy 2nd or third. another voter would vote for different guy first and mayfield 2nd. so the 2nd and 3rd place guy would get weighted votes. back then no weighted votes. so say there were a total of 60 voters. and for example Paul H got 20 votes and guy 1 got 15 and guy 2 got 15 and guy 3 got 10 votes . Paul H wins. under today's way it would never happen. Apparently when Paul won it was very divided and he won because of that
My point is the same. PH deserved no votes. None. Neither his stats nor his team's success, or lack thereof, were good enough to warrant any. He only had consideration because of his team's name, their preseason ranking, and possibly his previous year's stats which were better than the year he won the Heisman.

My point is the same. PH deserved no votes. None. Neither his stats nor his team's success, or lack thereof, were good enough to warrant any. He only had consideration because of his team's name, their preseason ranking, and possibly his previous year's stats which were better than the year he won the Heisman.

Paul H was an excellent player in his day. He was the best player on the Irish team It is not his fault he received the award. So when people get mad at things like PH receiving the heisman it is plain wrong. blame the voters. I can see him getting votes he was good but winning it on a 2-8 shows that either the irish would be an 0-10 team or worse without him. Lamar jackson was a difference maker on Louisville see how bad they are now. I would argue the Qb at oklahoma is more valuable to the sooners than the Tua @ Alabama. Alabama might win the NC without him. OU may lose 2-3 games without his talent.

Paul H was an excellent player in his day. He was the best player on the Irish team It is not his fault he received the award. So when people get mad at things like PH receiving the heisman it is plain wrong. blame the voters. I can see him getting votes he was good but winning it on a 2-8 shows that either the irish would be an 0-10 team or worse without him. Lamar jackson was a difference maker on Louisville see how bad they are now. I would argue the Qb at oklahoma is more valuable to the sooners than the Tua @ Alabama. Alabama might win the NC without him. OU may lose 2-3 games without his talent.

0-10 or worse?

Jackson elevated Louisville to a national title contender as a junior and they still had a winning record as a senior. His team didn't go 2-8.

0-10 or worse?

Jackson elevated Louisville to a national title contender as a junior and they still had a winning record as a senior. His team didn't go 2-8.

I was trying to be funny but failed

Who says I am blaming him? I blame the voters, but his and his team's performance were not Heisman worthy in 1956. He was more deserving in '55. You certainly sound like a ND homer. You are actually trying to argue that the two games they won with him made him worthy of the award that year? That's nonsense.

Btw, it's not most valuable player. It's most outstanding player. He wasn't that in '56.

Last edited:
Great thread, here's why I think I hate ND... To me, I look at ND and all their resources, all the recruits they get, and then I look at their resume and I find it just so underwhelming. I think that bothers me because I always see the"flashes" of what SU could do and I always think "my god, if we could get half the recruits they get we would be lighting things up and they just squander all their talent and underachieve year in and year out." I feel like it would be comparable to the blue collar person who works really hard and carves out a decent little niche for themselves but then goes to get their morning paper and sees the rich guy across the street with a monster truck in their driveway, doing yoga in their front yard, while watching their kids light off m80's in peoples mailboxes. It's like my god... do better. Does that make sense?

Green Beer Sucks
Lucky Charms are just Alpha-bits with fake marshmallows
Potato Famine
Heisman robbery
That scary Leprechaun is really just Willow with a hangover who needs to pay his bar tab.
Brian Kelly killed a kid

E63B5395-6220-46F1-AE9C-4014DED86192.gif

I think it was a bit of a gamble voting for him.

I remember watching this game on closed circuit TV in an on-campus auditorium. We went from delirious to confused to numb to furious all in about 30 seconds. I've hated ND ever since.
And to compound the injustice - it cost us a spot in the Orange Bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom