We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that

Notre Dame spelled backwards is gimme money. In Latin.

Ahhhhhh, I'm no ND fan, but don't you think that one P-5 fan base or school accusing another of interest in money as a primary driver of their football program is just a tad hypocritical?

I'm reminded of the great line from Apocalypse Now, "Accusing someone of murder in this place is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500."

Ahhhhhh, I'm no ND fan, but don't you think that one P-5 fan base or school accusing another of interest in money as a primary driver of their football program is just a tad hypocritical?

I'm reminded of the great line from Apocalypse Now, "Accusing someone of murder in this place is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500."
I really like your eclectic taste in movies. This is a little off topic, but what would you think of a remake of Elmer Gantry with Dino playing the lead role. It's not about the money, they just don't want to share equally.

ACB5561A-FDF7-4D7A-8A8C-AF3A3C51C08A.jpeg

That said I personally loathe the fact the Domers have to make sure you know within the first ten seconds of any conversation that they went to NOTRE DAME. The arrogance drives me crazy...

Q: How many Notre Dame graduates does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 3. One to change the lightbulb and two to remind you they went to Notre Dame.

I really like your eclectic taste in movies. This is a little off topic, but what would you think of a remake of Elmer Gantry with Dino playing the lead role. It's not about the money, they just don't want to share equally.

The only schools that want to share "equally" are those with revenue shortfalls. Every basketball school that draws 3K fans a game and no one would watch on TV wants the revenue pie shared "equality".

On Babers and a movie -- I'd like to see a movie along the lines of the classic about Notre Dame and Knute Rockne in which Ronald Reagan played George Gipp with the key line being "Win one for the The Dungey". (Except Dungey doesn't die like The Gipper had to.)

I have gotten over the 1961 game. I find it hard to hate ND because I think they are one of the few schools that attempts to put actual college students on the field or court. The people that hate them, I think, somehow view them and their fan base as being illegitimate. That appealing to the millions of Catholics, many of whom have no connection to the school, is dirty pool and unfair.

Their great strength is that lots of people either love them or hate them and that's what draws huge crowds and TV audiences.

I'll confess to being impressed when ND takes the field and that fight song is playing.

In my grammar school days, the nuns used to brief us on who would be Notre Dame's opponent that Saturday and suggest they would be praying for the Irish. ( An Irish team that always seemed to primarily consist of Polish and African Americans)

The only schools that want to share "equally" are those with revenue shortfalls. Every basketball school that draws 3K fans a game and no one would watch on TV wants the revenue pie shared "equality".

On Babers and a movie -- I'd like to see a movie along the lines of the classic about Notre Dame and Knute Rockne in which Ronald Reagan played George Gipp with the key line being "Win one for the The Dungey". (Except Dungey doesn't die like The Gipper had to.)

I have gotten over the 1961 game. I find it hard to hate ND because I think they are one of the few schools that attempts to put actual college students on the field or court. The people that hate them, I think, somehow view them and their fan base as being illegitimate. That appealing to the millions of Catholics, many of whom have no connection to the school, is dirty pool and unfair.

Their great strength is that lots of people either love them or hate them and that's what draws huge crowds and TV audiences.

I'll confess to being impressed when ND takes the field and that fight song is playing.

In my grammar school days, the nuns used to brief us on who would be Notre Dame's opponent that Saturday and suggest they would be praying for the Irish. ( An Irish team that always seemed to primarily consist of Polish and African Americans)

I wouldn't carry this long disdain for them except that Heisman trophy they stole from Donny Mac which was accomplished by all their media sycophants who are always there to push the party line. I will never forgive them for that.

ND hates the B1G and Michigan, and so do I. I guess I mildly like them for that mutual hatred. They also have a scheduling alliance with the ACC, and a propensity yo annoy PSU fans. The scheduling alliance isn’t perfect, but it’s better than nothing, and annoying Happy Valley is priceless.

As for the rest of Notre Dame and their identity, well, I don’t hate them/that identity, either. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t particularly like them. I’m just ... indifferent.

ND’s specialness was a lie to begin with, and now most people no longer believe it. Sure, their fans talk a big game, but what fan base doesn’t? In that regard, a number of run-of-the-mill UConn, PSU, Rutgers, Alabama, etc. fans make many of the more enthusiastic Irish fans look sane.

I know some on this board are hung up on ND, which is fine, but before you jump on me, remember that “the opposite of love isn’t hate...”

I wouldn't carry this long disdain for them except that Heisman trophy they stole from Donny Mac which was accomplished by all their media sycophants who are always there to push the party line. I will never forgive them for that.

Not to prolong this, but that wasn't ND. That was the press corps that did that.

I get it, I really do. ND has these natural advantages and it drives the fans of other, less-advantaged programs bonkers and has for almost 100 years.

Without football, ND is a small Catholic college in the wilds of Indiana.

Not to prolong this, but that wasn't ND. That was the press corps that did that.

I get it, I really do. ND has these natural advantages and it drives the fans of other, less-advantaged programs bonkers and has for almost 100 years.

Without football, ND is a small Catholic college in the wilds of Indiana.
Georgetown academically is better than ND.
If you have any ND Family you would think their school and traditions are Yale+Harvard+Oxford = ND.
The elitism is off the charts.
The arrogance of them is off the charts.
ND is nothing special. Good school. They have no respect for us. If we never played them again I wouldn’t shed a tear.

That was before my time, but it apparently was the same deal.
It was before my time, too, but I think that one was more a matter of southern voters, rather than ND.

Georgetown academically is better than ND.
If you have any ND Family you would think their school and traditions are Yale+Harvard+Oxford = ND.
The elitism is off the charts.
The arrogance of them is off the charts.
ND is nothing special. Good school. They have no respect for us. If we never played them again I wouldn’t shed a tear.

From what I have seen being associated with the two best DC area Catholic private schools, Notre Dame and Georgetown are about as academically selective as one another. So I don't buy your point on that.

The rest of what you wrote reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a LeMoyne grad telling me about SU arrogance. ("They think they are such hot shxt and I can't stand it.")

It was before my time, too, but I think that one was more a matter of southern voters, rather than ND.
They would employ any allies or strategies to attain their goals.

All purpose yards being the criterion for the Heisman. For one year only.

Reactions: FAL
Their message board is a carbon copy of ours circa 1999. I was expecting to read about our upcoming bowl game vs Kentucky.

Well, different deal actually. That was probably just racism. I have never faulted Jim Brown for feeling that he was denied simply because of his race. In all likelihood, JB getting robbed helped pave the way for Ernie Davis to win.

It was before mine too. It was even more of a farce though. Notre Dame was 2-8 that year and Paul Hornung threw 3 tds to 13 ints. He must've had that thing won before the season even started.

I like that the thread title doesn’t dance around the reality but instead states the truth

From what I have seen being associated with the two best DC area Catholic private schools, Notre Dame and Georgetown are about as academically selective as one another. So I don't buy your point on that.

The rest of what you wrote reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a LeMoyne grad telling me about SU arrogance. ("They think they are such hot shxt and I can't stand it.")
Not sure if you have any ND grads in your family. The arrogance is real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom