We have something brewing | Syracusefan.com

We have something brewing

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
And its not coffee. Grant has the quickest first step of any player we have had in recent memory. He's unguardable on his drives to the basket. Its a whistle and foul on the other team. Throw in his spin moves and his put back super slams and all i can say is im glad he's on our team. He's the wildcard. And he hits enough J's to keep the defense honest.

His weakness is not his mid range jumper, as some have suggested. It's his inability at times to finish through contact. He also has no left. He definitely draws fouls, which is great, because his ability to finish off the dribble drive is clearly his weakness at this point of his development, imo.

And its not coffee. Grant has the quickest first step of any player we have had in recent memory. He's unguardable on his drives to the basket. Its a whistle and foul on the other team. Throw in his spin moves and his put back super slams and all i can say is im glad he's on our team. He's the wildcard. And he hits enough J's to keep the defense honest.
I know you still remember Hak, but JG is in some ways more athletic than Hak. Hard to believe.

JG seems like he will be unstoppable if he comes back next year. Miami fans must have wanted to pull their hair out with the way he drew a foul almost any time he wanted to.

It's a huge mistake if puts his name in the draft. He has no position at the next level. He's a typical SU forward. He's a tweener. He's not a three and he's not a four. He can't guard either position at the next level unless he gets a lot stronger. The longer he stays the better chance he has of staying in the league, not just getting drafted. If he has trouble finishing at this level, he has no chance in the NBA. He's a great athlete and he's fun as hell to watch play. People just need to give him the time to figure everything out. I'm hoping he gets good advice from the people who really care about him.

I actually think he should get 3-4 more foul shots a game. He gets fouled almost everytime he drives because no one has a 4 that can stay infront of him.

His weakness is not his mid range jumper, as some have suggested. It's his inability at times to finish through contact. He also has no left. He definitely draws fouls, which is great, because his ability to finish off the dribble drive is clearly his weakness at this point of his development, imo.

Concur - his mid-range game has been almost as consistent as CJ of late. CJ has had a bunch of games this year where he was pretty poor for about 15 minutes in the second half, and then finds his shot again from 5:00 on. Kind of odd.

I think it's the contact and sometimes he's just playing too fast on those drives - like he isn't quite sure where he is before shooting. Which is sort of expected for someone still developing their game going to the hoop. He jumps and then tries to figure out where he is - and finish. No easy task.

I think the one thing that separates him from Hak is that he looks like he can easily put on a decent amount of muscle - which will be very important once he goes to the NBA.

Last edited:
It's a huge mistake if puts his name in the draft. He has no position at the next level. He's a typical SU forward. He's a tweener. He's not a three and he's not a four. He can't guard either position at the next level unless he gets a lot stronger. The longer he stays the better chance he has of staying in the league, not just getting drafted. If he has trouble finishing at this level, he has no chance in the NBA. He's a great athlete and he's fun as hell to watch play. People just need to give him the time to figure everything out. I'm hoping he gets good advice from the people who really care about him.

I couldn't disagree with this more. You strike when the iron is hot. He is an athletic specimen that oozes potential. He will be a lottery pick and would be foolish not to go pro. He may not be an instant impact player but he eventually will be. He is not a tweener. He is 6 foot 9 which is the great height for a 4 in the NBA . His athleticism will make up for his thin frame which will eventually fill out. He will learn to shoot and finish just as quick, if not quicker, in the NBA than college. Watch MCW play this year.. His shot has improved immensely because of the 365 day a week coaching of the 76ers staff. People have the misconception that players do not learn and improve in the NBA but that couldn't be further from the truth. What's the best way to get better at taking contact from NBA players? Answer: start taking contact from NBA players. He will also be giving up a few million each year he decides to stay in college. I love the kid like all SU players and I wish he would stay selfishly, but that would not be wise.

Last edited:
I agree with this, Wade, except I'm not sure he'll be a lottery pick, considering how deep this draft is...top 20, yes, likely. Lottery? Maybe barely. Other thing is I don't think he's 6'9".

We get it you like Grant. You keep posting about him.

I couldn't disagree with this more. You strike when the iron is hot. He is an athletic specimen that oozes potential. He will be a lottery pick and would be foolish not to go pro. He may not be an instant impact player but he eventually will be. He is not a tweener. He is 6 foot 9 which is the great height for a 4 in the NBA . His athleticism will make up for his thin frame which will eventually fill out. He will learn to shoot and finish just as quick, if not quicker, in the NBA than college. Watch MCW play this year.. His shot has improved immensely because of the 365 day a week coaching of the 76ers staff. People have the misconception that players do not learn and improve in the NBA but that couldn't be further from the truth. He will also be giving up a few million each year he decides to stay in college. I love the kid like all SU players and I wish he would stay selfishly, but that would not be wise.
If JG comes out this year, he'll spend most of next season in the D league no matter what number he gets drafted. He is not physically strong enough to play up front in the NBA. I seriously doubt he weighs more than 200-205 lbs no matter what the roster says. He cannot finish through contact. In another year with strength training and physical maturity he might actually finish some of his acrobatic drives. Notice he finishes very few now. The NBA does not develop players. It is a win now situation for coaches. You get a year to show what you can do. If you don't produce they move on to next year's draft and you get pushed by the wayside. I hate to see kids waste their chance by coming out before they're ready. But I understand the lure of all that short term cash.

I agree with upstate. He could easily get drafted in the 1st off potential but he still has a lot to learn. One more year in college improving his skill and his confidence as being the man is what he needs IMO.

I agree with this, Wade, except I'm not sure he'll be a lottery pick, considering how deep this draft is...top 20, yes, likely. Lottery? Maybe barely. Other thing is I don't think he's 6'9".
His athleticism makes up for his height. He will only be an inch or two shorter than most 4s

His biggest weakness besides strength is his inability to recognize the defense. Fair has the same problem. When the figure out that every time they get the ball, it doesn't have to be wild forays to the basket, they'll have upped their game a notch. Defenses collapse on them and don't respect the kick out. It makes it tougher on them.

Mid range is a great asset, not used much in the NBA but a great tool to have if you've got it.

But he's the type of player that could come back and hurt his draft value. NBA teams expect significant skill progression each year, and if you don't you lose draft value.

If he is a mature kid in the right situation he is perfectly capable of using preseason / practice / limited minutes to grow in the NBA.

BTW, I hope he comes back, but if he leaves as a first rounder have to respect his choice.

Neither Fair or Grant have any type of vision to se wide open teammates either. They are both great athletes with decent offensive games. Neither is what I would call highly skilled.

But he's the type of player that could come back and hurt his draft value. NBA teams expect significant skill progression each year, and if you don't you lose draft value.

If he is a mature kid in the right situation he is perfectly capable of using preseason / practice / limited minutes to grow in the NBA.

BTW, I hope he comes back, but if he leaves as a first rounder have to respect his choice.
If he comes back next year, he will be something very short of awesome.

I don't agree, for the most part. He added size / strength this offseason, but still needs sand in the bucket. He gets knocked down all the time, and has trouble finishing through contact. If he comes back and fails to develop, yeah it could hurt his draft value. But more likely he'd come back bigger, stronger, and ready to be the focal point of the offense. If his skill progression continues as I expect it will, along with being the #1 focal point on offense / leading scorer / leading rebounder, with expanded consistency on his jumpshot, it is difficult to imagine him not improving his stock.

That said, won't begrudge his decision either way. Hope we win it all and he rides the wave of hype all the way to the lottery.

The other thing is Grant had mono in the off-season; that obviously impacted his weight training and development.

The other thing is Grant had mono in the off-season; that obviously impacted his weight training and development.

That was definitely a setback. Kid has a great frame with broad shoulders--just needs to add 15 more pounds of muscle. If he does, he'll be one of the best frontcourt players in college basketball. He might already be one this year.

If JG comes out this year, he'll spend most of next season in the D league no matter what number he gets drafted. He is not physically strong enough to play up front in the NBA. I seriously doubt he weighs more than 200-205 lbs no matter what the roster says. He cannot finish through contact. In another year with strength training and physical maturity he might actually finish some of his acrobatic drives. Notice he finishes very few now. The NBA does not develop players. It is a win now situation for coaches. You get a year to show what you can do. If you don't produce they move on to next year's draft and you get pushed by the wayside. I hate to see kids waste their chance by coming out before they're ready. But I understand the lure of all that short term cash.
Ask the Coaches of the 76ers and Celtics if they are in a "win now" situation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom