We just saw a man's current career end | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

We just saw a man's current career end

Great write up!! The only think is that I don’t believe Dino is the answer. He lost me and we already went with wholesale changes to the coaching staff route.

NIL worries me about programs like ours and how that plays out going forward with a whole football roster. Smaller schools can do OK there with Basketball as the numbers are much much smaller.
Dino hasn't lost me completely yet but he is very close. Hiring Gilbert was rearranging the chairs, it wasn't really a change. We need a system change. We likely need a 2013 like system. A QB who can use his legs but isn't the best passer. A good running game and solid OL play. Serviceable WRs since it is harder to get better than that here (Marrone had major trouble too).

QB - we can find guys like Hunt
RB - we had 4 guys over 250 yards led by Smith and PTG
WR- it was worse than we have now

Talent wise it isn't much different than what we have now. We aren't going to win the ACC with that but we can make a Bowl every year. We need to get back to consistently being a 6-6 team before we can hope for more.

He was hired as a riverboat gambler, he'll be fired as Pasqualoni and Deleone. Conservative to the nth degree. He came in an offensive guru and got his quarterback and proceeded to create an offense that is so predictable that multiple opposing coaches and players openly talk about it in press conferences. I so wanted Dino to be successful. He'll leave here as a failure.
Pasqualoni was a veritable Lombardi relative to this crap

The AD rebuilt the Dome - something nobody thought could be done. What he did will revitalize the Football Program - with or without Babers.
Let him run development. This thing with Q makes him look incompetent.

Pasqualoni was a veritable Lombardi relative to this crap
And a superior recruiter.

my suggestion to everyone: stop mentioning Paul Pasqualoni anymore. He was 100x the coach than what we have had since. We wished his exit and we are in the midst of another valley in SU football.

he was the high water mark in modern Syracuse football. At this point I’d like wildhack to hire the Jurassic park guy and clone P&D and find the right SU players

We play inside in a dome. We all know this but it’s worth repeating constantly when we can’t routinely throw the rock around the field. There is absolutely zero weather element that would impact anything.

Sure it does

He committed his career here to the play of Tommy DeVito.

He has changed his whole philosophy to try and work with what he can get from TD.

He handcuffed himself and is too stubborn to make the change, whether he goes to Shrader or Morgan.
Who knew Dino would end up being just another meathead football coach?!

Haven't read this whole thread, or even much of the football stuff lately so sorry if this is talked about already. NIL will really make our recruiting difficult for football. Coach to a recruit...oh you can go to Destiny to get autographs signed, but be prepared if you are asked if you also rake leaves. I love SU football and will never give up on it, but we are not a state school, we are not a school with a ton of boosters. It is not an easy road anymore. for any coach. We need someone who can be creative, think out of the box, and put something together. I would welcome Doug back with open arms.
Good points. Don’t think Dino’s the answer and I don’t think we can afford to waste time on this

We play inside in a dome. We all know this but it’s worth repeating constantly when we can’t routinely throw the rock around the field. There is absolutely zero weather element that would impact anything.

we can’t coach up the line. Your offense
Is only as good as the line. The salad days were full of guys drafted on the lines.

Dino has no idea
How to recruit it.

Is only as good as the line. The salad days were full of guys drafted on the lines.

Dino has no idea
How to recruit it.
I don't think the line played as bad as people think.

If you have to avoid quick slants or quick pass plays that involve progression to the second or third option, you have a problem at QB

Dino has no idea
How to recruit it.

Ehhh. The line was fine yesterday. Devito held the ball wayyyy too long. He also missed a few wideeeee open guys down the field.

Fact of the matter is if you don’t have great talent you must pay attention to detail and have good clock management, special teams, avoid penalties, and avoid killer turnovers.

We were absolutely terrible in all 4 of those areas yesterday. Fundamentals have remained terrible under Dino.

We can’t recruit QBs. Shafer landing Dungey turned out to be a miracle. We’ve had below average spare parts aside from him. We thought Dino’s system would allow him to plug any ol’ QB in to produce an offense, but that was wrong. His system turned out to be a joke, it sucks. The only year it worked was when Dungey was being super human. Other than that at its best it yielded yards without points, at its worst its one of the lowest ranked in the entire game.

Yes those days are over. Look at the recruiting rankings you aren’t going to be too 25 consistently if you don’t have top 25 talent. Star systems are some made up joke and we don’t have 90 Diamonds in the rough. We need a smart work horse schemer to succeed here, Dino isn’t that. Also now with nil we will face another hurdle with recruiting. Big market schools will thrive and schools like Syracuse will be relegated even lower.
Costal Carolina says hi… Iowa St says hi… Cinci says hi.

Ehhh. The line was fine yesterday. Devito held the ball wayyyy too long. He also missed a few wideeeee open guys down the field.

Fact of the matter is if you don’t have great talent you must pay attention to detail and have good clock management, special teams, avoid penalties, and avoid killer turnovers.

We were absolutely terrible in all 4 of those areas yesterday. Fundamentals have remained terrible under Dino.
There’s no push w a rush offense. There’s no pulling, nothing. Sure
They were ok in passing downs. But this is vanilla stuff.

when Syracuse football was good the line could push teams around w our multiple offense. People like to mock the freeze option but boy when that was on it was unstoppable.

Not sure about either of those takes...
Not sure about either of those takes...
Wildhack presided over the Dome reconstruction - the funding, the design and the work itself.

I don’t think you can argue that.

Certainly something was going to have to be done with building. But no decisions had been made.

The plan and the execution of what was done - done well in my opinion - was Wildhack.

I’m done with the positive coach speak, the smiles, being a players coach etc. Give us someone with high intensity, higher expectations, and some passion.
Watching his press conference was frustrating. "I don't want to get fined" dude if you think you and your team got hosed F the fine, you got enough money to absorb it. Put out all their dirty laundry.

There’s no push w a rush offense. There’s no pulling, nothing. Sure
They were ok in passing downs. But this is vanilla stuff.

when Syracuse football was good the line could push teams around w our multiple offense. People like to mock the freeze option but boy when that was on it was unstoppable.
We were never going to beat Rutgers running. They dared Devito and the receivers to beat them and he couldn’t.

So from what I’m hearing is we need a coach who’s good at coaching football in order to offset natural obstacles in recruiting.

well, what’re we waiting for?

They run everything out of
The gun. It’s predictable.
Rutgers isn’t the Clemson front 7. That’s pathetic if we can’t establish a run against a bottom big 10 team

the whole thing is sad

Agree with that. The playbook is entirely predictable, but the passing offense is the main issue based upon what I saw.

Agree with that. The playbook is entirely predictable, but the passing offense is the main issue based upon what I saw.
It’s an offense made up of poster boards. The passing to me is gonna play off the rush. Dino knows this and tries to establish it but his main play is shot gun handoff through the middle.

he’s got the tecmo bowl offense w poster boards.

George Deleone and Kevin Rodgers must be shaking their heads.

It’s an offense made up of poster boards. The passing to me is gonna play off the rush. Dino knows this and tries to establish it but his main play is shot gun handoff through the middle.

Lol. George Deleones offense belongs in the 80’s and 90’s for a reason. You lost me there.

We can’t recruit QBs. Shafer landing Dungey turned out to be a miracle. We’ve had below average spare parts aside from him. We thought Dino’s system would allow him to plug any ol’ QB in to produce an offense, but that was wrong. His system turned out to be a joke, it sucks. The only year it worked was when Dungey was being super human. Other than that at its best it yielded yards without points, at its worst its one of the lowest ranked in the entire game.
And it’s not fast it’s sloooooow

The option would not work today but what it was was an offense that set the table for other things. I have been saying for 4 years that this offense just looks like random calls without an eye toward establishing something. Usually you are trying to exploit a scheme or player weakness on d. We do not. That is what RPO is supposed to do but we don’t do it consistently for it to be effective.

case in point TDs nice read and run in Q4, was an exploit of their end crashing relentlessly all day. Next play we inexplicably run a QB power straight into the guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom