We just saw a man's current career end | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

We just saw a man's current career end

There isn’t a coach alive who can fix this program.
Marrone followed up Robinson & that was an even bigger mess than this. I honestly would consider bringing him back.

I have never in the history of American futbol ever heard a coach discuss punting strategy and changing punters to execute. It’s singularly the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard and HCDB should probably be fired for cause for that admission alone.

Not trying to defend Dino though it's much easier to play the refs when they are on your side. These were B1G refs and it was made very clear that they were. We didn't have a chance with them.
It did seem that the BIG refs were not watching the game dispassionately

Here’s a guy that can definitely create a great college offense & may be available after this season……..Kliff Kingsbury, AZ Cardinals HC. If the Cardinals don’t make the playoffs this year, he’s probably gone. He‘s developed Manziel, Mayfield, Mahomes, and Murray. But, we would need a great DC. He’s just not a pro HC.

What's Babers so called offense supposed to be, he used to get mad when people would say it's the baylor and art briles offense. I remember being at a radio show a few years back (2019 I think) where he and matt park scolded a caller for comparing DB's offense to the air raid.

What happened to running 100 plays a game and Orange is the new fast?? DB has completely lost his identity and with that whatever chance at success we had. With the schedule we play each year SU should be going bowling more years than not!
You can’t run tempo when you are a walking 3 and out. We learned that the last 2 years.

Let’s look at a number of things here:
1. Our D played good enough for a win; certainly in the back end of the 4th quarter they were fading some, too much time on the field.Coach White has them fired up and flying to the ball. Young but very talented at DB and LB, especially. The do need better DL pressure although they played well at times and had good effort through out.

2. Offensively we are all over the place. Tommy still has problems with moving beyond his primary target, when that’s not available. Some of his throws were off and some should have been caught by the WR. I don’t get why we won’t throw to the TE’s; especially Benson who has good hands and speed. It seems that play calling is by committee; that will never work and isn’t currently. Why have an OC if he is not calling the plays?
OL is healthy and improved from last year; this is only the 2nd game Coach Schmidt has coached for us so he needs more time to see how the line develops. Very few OL penalties that were legit. Those officials got bullied by Schiano and their calls, in crucial situations favored Rutgers.

Today RB’s we’re not a factor; Rutgers was keying on stopping our run game and OL wasn’t able to dominate Rutgers DL enough for a sustained ground effort. Tommy did show he could run some but he is not an instinctive runner.

Wr’s need to help out the QB by catching the throws that they should. Again, no throws to TE’s which makes no sense.

3. Coaching:
Coach White has his D flying to the ball and gang tackling. They are getting pressure on the passer and, for the most part covered Wr’s well and they are young. LB’s a solid unit aggressive and decent tacklers.
DL needs to be able to apply consistent pressure though they had some good moments.

The Offense by committee has to go; the play calling way too predictable and they don’t seem to be able to find a way to keep the defense confused and guessing.
The best offenses are aggressive, unpredictable, with speed, power and determination. Think Oregon and others.

To punt, in the 4th quarter is like giving up. Coaches need to show the players that they trust them to come through in times like that!

Special Teams: How do you switch punters in the game like that? They are so lucky that the D bailed them out!
Kick off coverage, good.
Some of the penalties were bogus calls.
Mostly a good effort.

Do you switch coaches now; IMO, no.
We are 1-1 and he need to see more games to see what develops. Plus, we would likely loose significant young talent to transfers and many of our best talent is found in our younger players. Plus, I would hate to loose Coach White. Nick Monroe is a recruiting machine.

A new system means another steep learning curve.

Am I saying we go with HCDB if noticeable improvement is not seen as the season progresses, no!

Yes we are frustrated losing to Rutgers; but, let’s assess as we move throughout the season.

Go Orange!

Last edited:
The only way we're going to be successful is creating a niche identity and sticking with it. We can't expect to win playing a similar style as everyone else. We have less talent and unfortunately, that isn't going to change any time soon. Therefore, go after dual threat qbs and WRs in the portal. Oh yeah, and bring back the option!

Let’s look at a number of things here:
1. Our D played good enough for a win; certainly in the back end of the 4th quarter they were fading some, too much time on the field.Coach White has them fired up and flying to the ball. Young but very talented at DB and LB, especially. The do need better DL pressure although they played well at times and had good effort through out.

2. Offensively we are all over the place. Tommy still has problems with moving beyond his primary target, when that’s not available. Some of his throws were off and some should have been caught by the WR. I don’t get why we won’t throw to the TE’s; especially Benson who has good hands and speed. It seems that play calling is by committee; that will never work and isn’t currently. Why have an OC if he is not calling the plays?
OL is healthy and improved from last year; this is only the 2nd game Coach Schmidt has coached for us so he needs more time to see how the line develops. Very few OL penalties that were legit. Those officials got bullied by Schiano and their calls, in crucial situations favored Rutgers.

Today RB’s we’re not a factor; Rutgers was keying on stopping our run game and OL wasn’t able to dominate Rutgers DL enough for a sustained ground effort. Tommy did show he could run some but he is not an instinctive runner.

Wr’s need to help out the QB by catching the throws that they should. Again, no throws to TE’s which makes no sense.

3. Coaching:
Coach White has his D flying to the ball and gang tackling. They are getting pressure on the passer and, for the most part covered Wr’s well and they are young. LB’s a solid unit aggressive and decent tacklers.
DL needs to be able to apply consistent pressure though they had some good moments.

The Offense by committee has to go; the play calling way too predictable and they don’t seem to be able to find a way to keep the defense confused and guessing.
The best offenses are aggressive, unpredictable, with speed, power and determination. Think Oregon and others.

To punt, in the 4th quarter is like giving up. Coaches need to show the players that they trust them to come through in times like that!

Special Teams: How do you switch punters in the game like that? They are so lucky that the D bailed them out!
Kick off coverage, good.
Some of the penalties were bogus calls.
Mostly a good effort.

Do you switch coaches now; IMO, no.
We are 1-1 and he need to see more games to see what develops. Plus, we would likely loose significant young talent to transfers and many of our best talent is found in our younger players. Plus, I would hate to loose Coach White. Nick Monroe is a recruiting machine.

A new system means another steep learning curve.

Am I saying we go with HCDB if noticeable improvement is not seen as the season progresses, no!

Yes we are frustrated loosing to Rutgers; but, let’s assess as we move throughout the season.

Go Orange!
Good writeup but it is "lose" not "loose"

It's like Dino and Devito are same. They look great Sunday thru Friday but just choke when it comes to Saturday and continue to make poor decision after poor decision.
With no repercussions for either

Haven't read this whole thread, or even much of the football stuff lately so sorry if this is talked about already. NIL will really make our recruiting difficult for football. Coach to a recruit...oh you can go to Destiny to get autographs signed, but be prepared if you are asked if you also rake leaves. I love SU football and will never give up on it, but we are not a state school, we are not a school with a ton of boosters. It is not an easy road anymore. for any coach. We need someone who can be creative, think out of the box, and put something together. I would welcome Doug back with open arms.

Let’s be honest, Schiano out coached Dino by a mile.Made me mad as hell watching Schiano play the refs while Dino tried and failed with those same refs.Coaching won this game for Rutgers and coaching lost this game for the Orange.
And that fact speaks volumes about Dino. Think about it, how many times have you thought Locksley and Schiano out coached someone? Dino is like our athletic department, arrogant and stubborn which is why Schrader won't get the keys until loss 7.

You can’t run tempo when you are a walking 3 and out. We learned that the last 2 years.
Yeah but he tried to run it, and had some success, early in his tenure here. We had one standout receiver and a QB with better decision making and as far as Incan tell that’s the difference on offense between then and now.

I just want to be reasonably relevant. Is top 25 too much to ask?
Yes those days are over. Look at the recruiting rankings you aren’t going to be too 25 consistently if you don’t have top 25 talent. Star systems are some made up joke and we don’t have 90 Diamonds in the rough. We need a smart work horse schemer to succeed here, Dino isn’t that. Also now with nil we will face another hurdle with recruiting. Big market schools will thrive and schools like Syracuse will be relegated even lower.

Please. We have a young and fantastic defense with a ton of potential. We’ve got a few solid TE’s and RB’s. An offensive line that can still improve a lot.

This program needs a coach that doesn’t suck. The players aren’t the issue.
Agree. Replace Dino and Gilbert with any competent coach with p5 play calling experience and this team wins 6-8 games. This year.

Agree. Replace Dino and Gilbert with any competent coach with p5 play calling experience and this team wins 6-8 games. This year.

I just want to look competitive, have the appearance the staff has a plan and is attempting to execute it. I didn’t expect 8 wins this year. I thought 6 was reasonable and a bowl even though I think we have decent talent. This is an incredibly weak schedule and we may not make it to 4.

There is a dearth of quality HCs in CFB. Even the big programs are having issues. Part of the problem is the constant merry go round. But you don't keep a bad HC because of that. However, you could keep a decent HC and make changes. I am not sure Dino is a decent HC at this point. He needs to prove it the rest of the season.

Recruiting wise we are now in decent shape on O outside of WR. So there is a foundation there. On D we are in great shape in our back 8, but the DL is a "?". Is DIno making inroads with local HS coaches? That to me would be a factor.

The D coaching looks to be good. The O coaching is a mess, we need a new system if Dino stays. STs need to be fixed.

If Dino is not the guy where do we go? Retreads tend to not work out. There usually is a reason the HC was fired. Cutcliffe is a rare exception. Does Moorhead fit the retread since he was only there 2 seasons and not fired for sucking?

HC returns tend to not work out. Mack Brown seems to be going well though. Marrone is still young. Would he be committed this time? If Bill OBrien gets a new NFL job and wants Marrone as OC, are we in trouble?

A former NFL HC might work as they are superior X and O wise to CFB HCs. But you always need to worry about them going back to the NFL. And can they recruit?

The G5 seems to be tapped out. Leipold would have been nice if not for Les Miles. I think Mike Houston has potential but needs a least 2 years of success. Chuck Martin could work. I don't like Candle at all, Toledo has been solid but nothing special.

I wish we could get a guy with NE recruiting ties but there doesn't seem to be any. An assistant at a major program like Addazio or Hafley were.

We probably need a guy who has run a program before (HC experience) given our situation.

We cannot have a revolving door. It is too hard to find decent HCs time and again. It will eventually catch up to you.

We are in a crappy situation and I hope that Dino can figure it out but I am not sure he can. I am not giving up on him yet. For me it isn't obvious like it was for GRob or Shafer. But it wouldn't take much to push me over the edge.

So the roof wasn't going to get replaced if we didn't hire Wildhack?
I don’t know.

All I know is that we have a hard roof, AC, a great scoreboard and a home stadium that will recruit quality kids.

And Wildhack pulled it off.

He deserves credit for what he did.

His hesitance to reveal much about the Quentin Hillsman investigation doesn’t bother me. He was likely following the instructions of counsel.

John Wildhack has done a solid job as AD in my opinion.

The AD rebuilt the Dome - something nobody thought could be done. What he did will revitalize the Football Program - with or without Babers.
I believe they could not replace the old roof with that material. Something had to be done. Hack is a joke

There is a dearth of quality HCs in CFB. Even the big programs are having issues. Part of the problem is the constant merry go round. But you don't keep a bad HC because of that. However, you could keep a decent HC and make changes. I am not sure Dino is a decent HC at this point. He needs to prove it the rest of the season.

Recruiting wise we are now in decent shape on O outside of WR. So there is a foundation there. On D we are in great shape in our back 8, but the DL is a "?". Is DIno making inroads with local HS coaches? That to me would be a factor.

The D coaching looks to be good. The O coaching is a mess, we need a new system if Dino stays. STs need to be fixed.

If Dino is not the guy where do we go? Retreads tend to not work out. There usually is a reason the HC was fired. Cutcliffe is a rare exception. Does Moorhead fit the retread since he was only there 2 seasons and not fired for sucking?

HC returns tend to not work out. Mack Brown seems to be going well though. Marrone is still young. Would he be committed this time? If Bill OBrien gets a new NFL job and wants Marrone as OC, are we in trouble?

A former NFL HC might work as they are superior X and O wise to CFB HCs. But you always need to worry about them going back to the NFL. And can they recruit?

The G5 seems to be tapped out. Leipold would have been nice if not for Les Miles. I think Mike Houston has potential but needs a least 2 years of success. Chuck Martin could work. I don't like Candle at all, Toledo has been solid but nothing special.

I wish we could get a guy with NE recruiting ties but there doesn't seem to be any. An assistant at a major program like Addazio or Hafley were.

We probably need a guy who has run a program before (HC experience) given our situation.

We cannot have a revolving door. It is too hard to find decent HCs time and again. It will eventually catch up to you.

We are in a crappy situation and I hope that Dino can figure it out but I am not sure he can. I am not giving up on him yet. For me it isn't obvious like it was for GRob or Shafer. But it wouldn't take much to push me over the edge.
Great write up!! The only thing is that I don’t believe Dino is the answer. He lost me and we already went with wholesale changes to the coaching staff route under Dino.

NIL worries me about programs like ours and how that plays out going forward with a whole football roster. Smaller schools can do OK there with Basketball as the numbers are much much smaller.

Last edited:
Would be great to have a NY guy as HC and a NY guy as DC though. I think the prospect of Marrone and White is exciting. Not sure Marrone would be up for continuity on that side of the ball and playing the 3-3-5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom