We Need a Star | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We Need a Star

I can appreciate certain aspects of his game but the histrionics are annoying. Too much of a drama queen.
Did you hate Devendorf? These guys play with passion and I for one would take that any day over the milquetoast zombies we've been fielding lately. In fact, it's how I prefer my players play

Did you hate Devendorf? These guys play with passion and I for one would take that any day over the milquetoast zombies we've been fielding lately. In fact, it's how I prefer my players play
Good player, but we got better after Devendorf left.

Anyway if Cope’s not going to class I don’t understand why so many are arguing this. He won’t be on the team next season. Westry will assume the role.

Devendorf tended to talk trash with the opponent. I didn't love that but it's better than getting up in the ref's face on every stinking call or arguing with your teammates. Not to mention that ED was a more productive offensive player. I prefer my players to give maximum effort while staying focused and composed. It can be done.

The thing about star players is that they are able to step up to that level because they have 3 other players doing the dirty work.

RJ Davis had 2 of the top 4 rebounders on the best rebounding team in the ACC. You think he had to worry about shot selection when 2 out of 3 times he's getting a 2nd chance look.

I don't think the star is on the team right now. Even if Q stays (and I want him to) we don't want him to be the "Guy" since he's best used to spark the engine, not be the engine.

JJ I wanted to say could be the star after UNC but I'm not sure he has that personality / aggressiveness consistently. Bell sort of the opposite, plays with too much emotion to the point where he's easily rattled on both ends.

That leaves Freeman and Moore or a portal Guard to step up. I think if it's up to Autry he'll build around JJ in the backcourt and Brown in the frontcourt and push them to be the floor captains but that worries me with how passive they appear. As Juniors in a league that will feature alot more inexperienced players next year with the covid kids gone it'll be interesting.

We gotta find the balance, less chirping on court but still keeping the aggressiveness on offense.
On our 1987 team the stars were a freshman, soph, and Junior. Sherm, DC and Rony. 2 seniors, Trich, and Monroe, and 6th man a freshman in Stevie.
The level of recruiting and effort to recruit by our head coach was 100% better.

What does JJ do that makes him so unaffordable to lose?
When he’s playing aggressive he’s a great scorer. What he did vs UNC was not a fluke no matter how down on him some of our fans would like to be.

Also - again 15 of the last 16 games. Double figures.

This fairy tale that he’s a net negative scrub is crazy

When he’s playing aggressive he’s a great scorer. What he did vs UNC was not a fluke no matter how down on him some of our fans would like to be.

Also - again 15 of the last 16 games. Double figures.

This fairy tale that he’s a net negative scrub is crazy
He plays like the entire game, he SHOULD score in double digits, he has the ball in his hands constantly.

What he did against UNC isn’t a fluke? Why doesn’t he do it every game? Some of the games? Half the games? Most the games? Sorry, he plays amazing a few times means it is a fluke.

He’s a better scoring worse defending Louis McCrosky.

copeland needs to dial back the hotdog act. 6 turnovers last game 1-5 from 3. seeing as he shoots 25% deep and we don't rebound that's basically 4 more to's. i understand the game was slipping away and he was trying his best to create something positive. but he needs to bring his game back to earth. we ain't playing the washington generals.
check yourself before you wreck yourself.

What’s the % chance Erik Reynolds ends up as JJ Starling’s backcourt mate next year? Over/Under 90%?
I have read that Erik Reynolds is not a point guard. So, he is not a Judah Mintz replacement in that position. Heard though that he is a similiar player to Mintz. Hopefully it does not mean “me first, me shoot”.

Westry is twice the hooper Q is..we’re fine as long as he stays healthy
While I like Quadir, I get frustrated with his style of play (seems like he averages more turnovers than assists) which is school yard. I enjoy the excitement he generates but not every play has to be spectacular to achieve the desired results.

I have read that Erik Reynolds is not a point guard. So, he is not a Judah Mintz replacement in that position. Heard though that he is a similiar player to Mintz. Hopefully it does not mean “me first, me shoot”.
I have no problem with a me first if the guy can walk that walk. That said, I want a true point guard, please for the love of god can we please have a real point guard.

We Need a Star​

He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I'm very familiar with Reynolds. Lynn Greer III was the PG this year for SJU. Reynolds could play PG but he would be the primary scorer for SU. He's lightening quick and and a far better 3 point shooter than anybody currently on our squad - I know low bar. Lastly, from what I've seen he has an excellent attitude and would be an immediate upgrade in the character department.

I'm very familiar with Reynolds. Lynn Greer III was the PG this year for SJU. Reynolds could play PG but he would be the primary scorer for SU. He's lightening quick and and a far better 3 point shooter than anybody currently on our squad - I know low bar. Lastly, from what I've seen he has an excellent attitude and would be an immediate upgrade in the character department.
Reynolds is a player. DEEP range. The board should be doing somersaults if he enters the portal.

Freeman is a star you guys. Moore is so disgustingly underrated as well. And knowing the the character of both young men, I am freaking thrilled about them living up to the orange standard

They are both nice players, but we are going to need a lot more than that. We need to hit the portal hard if we want to compete and make the ncaa tournament next year, especially if we lose Juda. If the plan is to run it back with what we most likely got returning (no Q, Taylor, Hima, Carey, Juda) we will be a bubble team at best. Red needs to make some waves in the portal and pick up some quality additions who can come in and contribute right away.

They are both nice players, but we are going to need a lot more than that. We need to hit the portal hard if we want to compete and make the ncaa tournament next year, especially if we lose Juda. If the plan is to run it back with what we most likely got returning (no Q, Taylor, Hima, Carey, Juda) we will be a bubble team at best. Red needs to make some waves in the portal and pick up some quality additions who can come in and contribute right away.
The great part about Red is he knows exactly what to do because he knows how fortunate he is to be the head coach at Cuse. He will work tirelessly to be successful for now and the future. He will not let the opportunity pass him by.

For all the changes in basketball, the one thing that hasn’t: you need a star

All our final four teams had a star you could go-to. The original construct of this team was for Judah to be the star. Just doesn’t work.

We need Donnie next year or some unforeseen transfer to come forth to do any damage in the third month of the year.
We may have recruited two of them.

I agree that a go to player is very important for a run through the tournament. However, I am tired of watching ISO offense. My first desire is to aquire BASKETBALL players. By that, I mean players that have BB IQ and want to play as a team.

Clean house is used too often. However this may be one time where it actually makes some sense.

This thread started from a good place, we need more talent, preferably a Top 10 talent like we used to be able to pull.

Then it turned into a therapy session for everyone to let out their feelings about the various players.

Let it all out.

I am going to give you the chance to clean that statement up. You aren't insinuating that Copeland is better than Buddy, are you? Buddy was a first team All Acc player. He led us to the sweet 16 one year. Really carried us. And has actually played in a NBA game. Yes. He is also a good kid. Respectful to pretty much everyone. A good teammate to all of his teammates. Copeland falls way short on that.
Well they do different things, but comparing sophomore to sophomore, advanced stats are fairly similar in total contributions to the game.

It will be interesting to look back next year and do the same comparison.

We’ve got to beat some of the UNC’s, Virginia’s and Duke’s of the world if we want to be a top 25 team again.
Exactly. And not even them. We got turned inside out and smoked twice by a bubble-ish 6 seed whose fans want to see the coach replaced.